Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Problems with AIM

The Wrath of Hoenn

URPG StaffSuper Moderator Ash K.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,306 (0 Banked)

Exclamation The Problems with AIM

Many of you are content to keep saying "AIM works, let's just keep using it". But really, it doesn't. It's hurting our new member influx because AIM will not allow you to make an account without a phone number (see below). There are perhaps other problems too, but that's the major one. Tell me honestly, who among you would have made an AIM account to join URPG activity if it required a phone number? I wouldn't. Why should we expect other people to?

Current AIM sign up, with all information filled out as obviously fake (besides current AIM email I put in, but it doesn't seem to give an error for removing it):

Feel free to comment on this or any other problems of AIM, solutions to the mentioned problems, or suggestions for alternatives. Personally IRC seems like the best alternative, as it's been well noted Skype has its own vast array of problems.
    Ash K. on BMG/PXR/SPC, Alcadies on PE2K, MewAshMew on AIM.
    URPG: Champion, Moderator, Senior Referee, Head Judge, Johto LO, Legend Defender, Fortree City Gym Leader, Celestic Town Division Head, Kumquat Island Gym Leader
    URPG Stats
    Feel free to ask me any questions you have about URPG.
    "When you can have anything you want by uttering a few words, the goal matters not, only the journey to it." -Rhunön the Elf (Eldest: Inheritance Book 2)
    "You might think it’s to help you be a better battler. Really it’s just to make your battles less painful for the poor referee that has to face-palm every turn." - Monbrey
    1896/1926/1966

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    607 (0 Banked)

I honestly have no ideas as to a solution, Ash =(

The only IM services I have ever used are AIM, Trillian, and MSN (which is gone now iirc). I have NO idea what IRC is like, and I don't know of any other IM services I could suggest. I hope others can think of a solution to this problem.

What I would like to know is WHY IN THE WORLD did AOL think FORCING us to give them OUR PHONE NUMBERS was a good idea?! I'm glad I made an account before they made that a requirement.
    ~ Zenith's GCEA Stats ~ | ~ Zenith's URPG Stats ~
    *Sig and avi art made by Sou Cleife!*

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    133 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Shion Rasenka View Post
    I honestly have no ideas as to a solution, Ash =(

The only IM services I have ever used are AIM, Trillian, and MSN (which is gone now iirc). I have NO idea what IRC is like, and I don't know of any other IM services I could suggest. I hope others can think of a solution to this problem.

What I would like to know is WHY IN THE WORLD did AOL think FORCING us to give them OUR PHONE NUMBERS was a good idea?! I'm glad I made an account before they made that a requirement.
    IRC is super easy to use. You don't even need an account, just a username and you're set. You can go and use it online but also download one of the numerous IRC clients available. There's a lot of variety there so you can choose which one you like. On the other hand, a tiny amount of features from other IMs is missing. The only ones I can think of are custom fonts and avatars.

My vote goes to IRC.

Cthulhu saves the world. Staff AlumniAce Member Lovecraft's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,139 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

My vote goes to Google Talk. Making a throwaway gmail account is easy, it doesn't require a phone (I've made one today, so I can attest to that) and has a decent official phone app.

I've checked and there are already apps for dice rolling and if that doesn't work, we can just screenshare on random.org or use that link we theoretically use for skype reffing.

Banner by Sou

5. Likes ~TheProtobabe liked this post
    -Prototype Babe- Design TeamURPG StaffAce Member TheProtobabe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,699 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecraft View Post
    My vote goes to Google Talk. Making a throwaway gmail account is easy, it doesn't require a phone (I've made one today, so I can attest to that) and has a decent official phone app.

I've checked and there are already apps for dice rolling and if that doesn't work, we can just screenshare on random.org or use that link we theoretically use for skype reffing.
    if we use random.org, I think there's a way to prove the person got that roll. AIM does make it easier for immediate proven dice rolls, though... google talk/hangouts seems like the best option.

Cthulhu saves the world. Staff AlumniAce Member Lovecraft's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,139 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Invisible Castle can help with proving rolls - or at least rolls that were supposed to be public, anyways - although it needs a sign-up (free).

Banner by Sou

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    607 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecraft View Post

I already have a google account, so I don't need to make another one. And yes, I can also attest that they DO NOT REQUIRE a phone number, IT IS OPTIONAL. I have never used Google Talk, so I will have to DL it and see what it's like. I'll also check out IRC I guess. Once I find out if I like GT or IRC, I will officially cast a vote.
    ~ Zenith's GCEA Stats ~ | ~ Zenith's URPG Stats ~
    *Sig and avi art made by Sou Cleife!*

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    133 (0 Banked)

You can make a bot in IRC that does dice rolls easily and quickly. In fact, I have a bot ready for it and can easily run it on a friend's server 24/7. Plus, I could add features to the bot to make life easier. IRC also doesn't need an account, and you can just quickly hop on and start talking, no setup required, which is much better than all other IMs.

Seriously, I don't get what people have against IRC :/

Now with Mega Evolution Staff AlumniURPG Staff swiftgallade46's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,065 (0 Banked)

Can't post my full thoughts because mobile, but just looking Google talk seems like a lot of extra work with screen shots and apps and proof and whatnot for every single public roll...
    My URPG Stats!
    Saffron City Gym Stats!
    Ask me to ref on URPG's Discord Server!

11. Likes Ash K. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    15,878 (0 Banked)

haaaaailz yes

Fellykins took the initiative and did an IRC trial earlier this year. There was a survey of what URPGers thought of IRC, and if any of you were around during that trial and would like to share your thoughts here now, that'd be great! I think the results were overall negative but things can change.

I'm down to try other clients! Google Talk sounds good!

❤ MISTRAL IMMORTAL ❤