User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Problems with AIM

In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    22,566 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

If anyone wants me to, I can share the results of the IRC trial survey with the public. Just post here & I'll link them. (It's PWN, so you won't have to yell at me anywhere else!!!)

In regards to Skype and also piggybacking off of a point Ely made, people do have Skype but they may only use it primarily for real life and may not be comfortable sharing their real name. Not everyone does and would be affected by that, but some might be and may be deterred that way as well.

Head of the URPG URPG StaffAdministrator HKim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    891 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Felly View Post
    In regards to Skype and also piggybacking off of a point Ely made, people do have Skype but they may only use it primarily for real life and may not be comfortable sharing their real name. Not everyone does and would be affected by that, but some might be and may be deterred that way as well.

It's the same issue we had when we switched to AIM and the benefits seemed to outweigh the drawbacks.

Now with Mega Evolution Staff AlumniURPG Staff swiftgallade46's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,065 (0 Banked)

Skype is very meh for URPG purposes imo. Hard to roll dice, same lag problems as AIM (if not worse for me) and the layout also isn't very efficient. If IRC isn't an option, then a major shift to Skype wouldn't make sense to me at this point. In general, I just don't see any massive pressing reason why we have to leave AIM right now. I'll say again that I have no problems with IRC--it really is a perfectly good client--I just really don't want to go through the shift unless really necessary. But, again, maybe that's just me.
    My URPG Stats!
    Saffron City Gym Stats!
    Ask me to ref on URPG's Discord Server!

Talk Is Cheap
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    924 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by TieSoul View Post
    You can make a bot in IRC that does dice rolls easily and quickly. In fact, I have a bot ready for it and can easily run it on a friend's server 24/7. Plus, I could add features to the bot to make life easier. IRC also doesn't need an account, and you can just quickly hop on and start talking, no setup required, which is much better than all other IMs.

Seriously, I don't get what people have against IRC :/
    This. Plus, one of the (many many many many) reasons we didn't just switch to skype, was that people have personal skype accounts. People's google accounts are usually personal-- and actually, it would be a big pain for me, because I use one account for youtube and for email (as they made me link those) so I'd have to keep switching between my main and my URPG account.

Use IRC. There is no function that you want that it can't have. The reason people are negative is becaause some people don;t think it looks pretty enough (because it's not like AIM is ugly as sin or anything, right?) and they can't have avatars or something, uuugh.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftgallade46 View Post
    Doing it all at once would cause us to lose members that aren't currently here for the transition.
    In that case, make a post on each forum about it. Wow, problem solved. Further, mention it in the skpe chat when they say, "wow, did URPG die!?" also, there will still be people on AIM, I'm sure, because "some of us still use it", right? I mean, people will be on it anyway, even if URPG isn't mainly there.

but as the trial seems to show, no one really took interest save a few.
    Wasn't this the biggest of the "few small issues"? Just that none of the oldbies were interested in a switch? Like, were there literally any other issues whatsoever?

Another question: has anyone concretely come forward and said they refuse to get an AIM account because it asks for their phone number? And, if so, did we direct them with the possibilities to get around it (if any)?
    I did, but that's not really a problem, per se... it's more like AIM built you guys a fence that keeps me out. For most people, that will be a better reason not to switch clients: if you do, I might come back sometimes.
    Last edited by Truly; 08-17-15 at 11:36 AM.

5. Likes TieSoul liked this post
    So Ace Staff AlumniAce Member CommBA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,199 (0 Banked)

Just throwing my 1 cent in, but based on Truly's post, I am completely against IRC. Like, look at all that sarcastic sass thrown around. Nothing makes me want to not use something quicker than shit like that.

7. Likes Ebail, +swiftgallade46 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    133 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by CommBA View Post
    Just throwing my 1 cent in, but based on Truly's post, I am completely against IRC. Like, look at all that sarcastic sass thrown around. Nothing makes me want to not use something quicker than shit like that.
    What? Just because one user wants to use IRC and makes a somewhat sarcastic post about it, you are completely against it? That doesn't make any kind of sense. Truly did bring up some good points about IRC too, if you are willing to actually look at what they're trying to say.

Please, seriously consider IRC.
    Last edited by TieSoul; 08-18-15 at 09:35 AM.

Burn in flames! Staff Alumni Falaflame's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    478 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by TieSoul View Post
    What? Just because one user wants to use IRC and makes a somewhat sarcastic post about it, you are completely against it? That doesn't make any kind of sense. Truly did bring up some good points about IRC too, if you are willing to actually look at what they're trying to say.

Please, seriously consider IRC.
    I don't think that was CommBA's main concern.

I think his concern was, if you're wanting to sell people into using IRC, using sarcasm isn't the way to go.

I like making old, outdated memes too.

10. Likes Ebail, +Lovecraft, +swiftgallade46 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    183 (0 Banked)

urpg getting too touchy these days, it was just sarcasm, to completely throw out the idea because someone was sarcastic on the internet is ridic
    Last edited by Fawkes.; 08-20-15 at 06:51 AM.
    Who’s gonna get up after we’re gone
    Who’s gonna get up after we fall
    Who’s gonna pick up what we’ve done wrong
    Who’s gonna get up after we’re gone

12. Likes TieSoul liked this post
    Burn in flames! Staff Alumni Falaflame's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    478 (0 Banked)

I understand what you mean. But it still isn't a good way to sell the main point of the statement.

I like making old, outdated memes too.

-Prototype Babe- Design TeamURPG StaffAce Member TheProtobabe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,699 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes. View Post
    urpg getting too touchy these days, it was just sarcasm, to completely throw out the idea because someone was sarcastic on the internet is ridic
    Comm didn't really say he was against the idea. He just said if he were to base the entire argument for IRC on Truly's post, he wouldn't want to use it because Truly wasn't being polite at all. Being offended by condescending sarcasm isn't really being "touchy", honestly, it's being a regular human being who doesn't put up with that crap.

That being said, I would be totally cool with IRC. There are a lot of things we can do with it because it's versatile and has a lot of different bot functions we can use, even auto-modding and allowing people to report things that happen, plus dice rolls and other things as well. Better, by far, than AIM's current functions. I'm not certain why people don't want to use an IRC to be honest, it seems our best option.

15. Likes ~Ash K. liked this post