Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Problems with AIM

Cthulhu saves the world. Staff AlumniAce Member Lovecraft's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,139 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swiftgallade46 View Post
    Can't post my full thoughts because mobile, but just looking Google talk seems like a lot of extra work with screen shots and apps and proof and whatnot for every single public roll...
    That's the same thing we have with Skype, and yet that wasn't considered complicated enough when Skype was considered a viable option.

The results of IRC were negative enough to show that it probably won't stick.

Banner by Sou

Now with Mega Evolution Staff AlumniURPG Staff swiftgallade46's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,065 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecraft View Post
    That's the same thing we have with Skype, and yet that wasn't considered complicated enough when Skype was considered a viable option.

The results of IRC were negative enough to show that it probably won't stick.

I never use Skype and I haven't heard of any battles taking place there in months, probably for that reason. When there were battles there, most people just rolled on AIM where there were witnesses anyway. I think we only have Skype because much of the PXR community is on there. The purpose was geared more towards communication; not battling. As far as IRC and phone numbers etc., I think I've said my thoughts before but here they are again:

I have no problem with IRC. It is a very capable client with some minor issues here and there that shouldn't prove insurmountable. What I don't like is the process of switching main chat clients. Doing it all at once would cause us to lose members that aren't currently here for the transition. Adding another chat client on top of AIM would just spread activity too thinly which is already sparce for the time being. A gradual transition would be the best option (although we would still have to deal with being spread out for a while), but as the trial seems to show, no one really took interest save a few.

Also, does every version of AIM require a phone number? I don't recall being asked for one when I downloaded AIM Legacy. I can, however, attest to the fact that they never use my phone number for anything except for the option (which I can turn off) for mobile alerts because I also have an account on the newest version.

Another question: has anyone concretely come forward and said they refuse to get an AIM account because it asks for their phone number? And, if so, did we direct them with the possibilities to get around it (if any)?
    My URPG Stats!
    Saffron City Gym Stats!
    Ask me to ref on URPG's Discord Server!

Cthulhu saves the world. Staff AlumniAce Member Lovecraft's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,139 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

It's not really a question of getting the client to work, it's a question of making a new account.
    New members don't have an AIM account and to make a new one you need a phone number.
    A possible work-a-round is using one of the disposable textable numbers you can find online.

(Also, goddamn it, I wasn't notified. I hope quotes ain't broken too :c)

Banner by Sou

The Wrath of Hoenn

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,341 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    haaaaailz yes

Fellykins took the initiative and did an IRC trial earlier this year. There was a survey of what URPGers thought of IRC, and if any of you were around during that trial and would like to share your thoughts here now, that'd be great! I think the results were overall negative but things can change.

I'm down to try other clients! Google Talk sounds good!
    It always felt to me like most people didn't give it a real chance and just said "AIM works, why change?". Very little actually was even attempted there, even with some incentives.

I never use Skype and I haven't heard of any battles taking place there in months, probably for that reason. When there were battles there, most people just rolled on AIM where there were witnesses anyway. I think we only have Skype because much of the PXR community is on there. The purpose was geared more towards communication; not battling. As far as IRC and phone numbers etc., I think I've said my thoughts before but here they are again:

I have no problem with IRC. It is a very capable client with some minor issues here and there that shouldn't prove insurmountable. What I don't like is the process of switching main chat clients. Doing it all at once would cause us to lose members that aren't currently here for the transition. Adding another chat client on top of AIM would just spread activity too thinly which is already sparce for the time being. A gradual transition would be the best option (although we would still have to deal with being spread out for a while), but as the trial seems to show, no one really took interest save a few.

Transitioning will definitely not be easy. Perhaps making it very easily visible on forums will help the lingering ones see the change is happening, maybe having a few people occasionally check AIM to redirect people would help. See my thoughts on the trial above.

Also, does every version of AIM require a phone number? I don't recall being asked for one when I downloaded AIM Legacy. I can, however, attest to the fact that they never use my phone number for anything except for the option (which I can turn off) for mobile alerts because I also have an account on the newest version.

It's not downloading the application that's the problem, it's making a new account. It hasn't always been this way and older accounts do not force you to add one.

Another question: has anyone concretely come forward and said they refuse to get an AIM account because it asks for their phone number? And, if so, did we direct them with the possibilities to get around it (if any)?

My fear is that there have been people who saw that and didn't make an AIM, but didn't bother to come forward about it and just left. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but that wouldn't surprise me at all if that's been happening.
    Ash K. on BMG/PXR/SPC, Alcadies on PE2K, MewAshMew on AIM.
    URPG: Champion, Moderator, Senior Referee, Head Judge, Johto LO, Legend Defender, Fortree City Gym Leader, Celestic Town Division Head, Kumquat Island Gym Leader
    URPG Stats
    Feel free to ask me any questions you have about URPG.
    "When you can have anything you want by uttering a few words, the goal matters not, only the journey to it." -Rhunön the Elf (Eldest: Inheritance Book 2)
    "You might think it’s to help you be a better battler. Really it’s just to make your battles less painful for the poor referee that has to face-palm every turn." - Monbrey
    1896/1926/1966

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,065 (0 Banked)

Ah, I guess I didn't notice that you making an account and downloading were two different things. Regardless, I'm not 100% convinced it's even an issue tbh. For me personally, to warrant something as risky as a full transition there would have to be something really wrong with AIM. At this point, I don't really see anything massively wrong with it other than it being pretty old and some lag/connectivity issues that almost every client has anyway (yes, I have experienced it on IRC).

Finally, URPG is much larger than AIM. It doesn't take much effort to ask around on the forums (on which you have to sign up anyway) and see if you can't get around the phone number issue or find another way to readily communicate with URPGers. I'm not saying this is a situation we would want at all. I'm saying that since this situation has never come up, it stands to reason that anyone the phone number may have deterred probably wasn't interested very much anyway. I would be much more inclined to agree with the point if I had seen this situation repeatedly in the past.

These are just my opinions, of course. If the majority would rather switch clients, then it's nothing I would be fully opposed to, nor would I be able to stop it if I wanted to. I'm just saying I'm still not really convinced.
    My URPG Stats!
    Saffron City Gym Stats!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    607 (0 Banked)

I can confirm that you do indeed HAVE to give them your phone number to create an account now. I can see why new prospective members are so hesitant to sign up on AIM, Swift. NO ONE in their right mind wants to give their phone number to anyone online, even if it's a legit company like AOL. I myself refuse to put my phone number onto any of my accounts for my own reasons. Why, then, should we expect others to do it? I created my AIM account before giving them your number was required, so that's why I had an AIM to join URPG with. It's not fair to force others to use a service where giving your phone number is a REQUIREMENT for sign-up.

There may also be other reasons why someone may not want to give their phone number. Let me give you an example:

I myself have a smartphone, but my parents are cheap and took off the internet on it, as well as the ability to text (not like I text anyway, but hear me out here). Since AOL uses your number to alert you about your account, I WOULD NOT be able to receive those messages because I DO NOT get texts. If I had to create an account now, I would not be able to, because of that reason.

(Also I sincerely apologize if I sound snarky at any point in my post, that was not my intention)
    ~ Zenith's GCEA Stats ~ | ~ Zenith's URPG Stats ~
    *Sig and avi art made by Sou Cleife!*

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,065 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Shion Rasenka View Post
    I can confirm that you do indeed HAVE to give them your phone number to create an account now. I can see why new prospective members are so hesitant to sign up on AIM, Swift.

To my knowledge, there so far has not been any issue where prospective members are hesitant to sign up. That was my whole point.

NO ONE in their right mind wants to give their phone number to anyone online, even if it's a legit company like AOL. I myself refuse to put my phone number onto any of my accounts for my own reasons.

I never said or implied that not wanting to give away your phone number is illegitimate. I fully recognize those that feel this way. The one thing I said was that putting in my phone number for AIM has never given me an issue personally for whatever that's worth.

Why, then, should we expect others to do it? I created my AIM account before giving them your number was required, so that's why I had an AIM to join URPG with. It's not fair to force others to use a service where giving your phone number is a REQUIREMENT for sign-up.

With all due respect, it is not a requirement in any way. Getting an AIM is not mandatory for URPG. I do fully recognize that you are [potentially] severely handicapped without one, but understand that no one is being forced onto AIM. If anyone has felt pressured in the past to put in their phone number into AIM despite really not wanting to do so, they have yet to come forward and say anything.

There may also be other reasons why someone may not want to give their phone number. Let me give you an example:

I myself have a smartphone, but my parents are cheap and took off the internet on it, as well as the ability to text (not like I text anyway, but hear me out here). Since AOL uses your number to alert you about your account, I WOULD NOT be able to receive those messages because I DO NOT get texts. If I had to create an account now, I would not be able to, because of that reason.

Again, I fully understand and was never questioning people's judgement on the subject in the first place.

(Also I sincerely apologize if I sound snarky at any point in my post, that was not my intention)

Not at all! Interwebz etiquette is complicated :P
    My URPG Stats!
    Saffron City Gym Stats!

-Prototype Babe- Design TeamURPG StaffAce Member TheProtobabe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,699 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Well I mean, all these things about phone number aside, AIM is super outdated anyways. We could probably do better on another IM platform in general.

Head of the URPG URPG StaffAdministrator HKim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    891 (0 Banked)

The reason we use AIM now is because this was the chat system used by the majority of the members joining the URPG back in 2003. Before we were heavy users of YIM (Yahoo Instant Messenger), probably because the URPG was hosted on Yahoo Groups (more or less). Essentially, we switched to AIM because the new members used AIM more than any other instant messenger service.

That was the major benefit of AIM at the time. By concentrating on AIM, we used a messenger that most people already had. There was no need to ask a lot of people to register because they were already on it.

In contrast, AIM is rarely a messenger system used by most new users. Everytime someone joins, we have to ask them to sign up for AIM. That is a bit of a problem.

If we want to consider a new main messenger system, we should understand this part of our history. As such, it is critical, I believe, to use a messenger system that the majority of new members already use (or know of). This eliminates a barrier to entry, making it easier for new members to jump into the thick of things.

The only messenger system commonly used by the general population (and thus new members) is Skype. If we're going to use a different main messenger system, that should be it.

Side Note: Skype can now be used in a browser and doesn't require you to download anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,484 (0 Banked)

I'm all for jumping off the AIM sinking ship, but my one qualm with Skype is that my Skype predates my URPG and thus is linked to my personal email/real name, which I'd rather not give out over the internet (sorry friends D:). I also still use Skype for non-URPG, so having two accounts is kind of a pain to keep up (thanks Windows 8).

What was the hatred for IRC again?