Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gen VI Run: WinterVines

Avid Roleplayer ChainReaction01's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    42 (0 Banked)

NBP #11

Ranger Chainy

OOC: Oh my God, it's finally here. Pouring out my stress into writing this XD

~~~~~

"I think we should follow," Mizuki said, flashing me a quick smile. I threw one back at her and we followed the retreating Zoroark around the corner. When we caught sight of it again, it was padding away from us on all fours like a dog. As we followed it, the Pokemon would occasionally glance over its shoulder to make sure we were still following. I was far more interested in the motes of black energy that were drifting through the air, heading in the same direction we were traveling. I held out my hand to try and touch one, but it scooted away. I started trying to catch some of the particles, but it was like they were gifted with future sight: they always started to move in the opposite direction just as I went to grab.

The corridor now was even more dilapidated: the rug on the floor was in what could only be described as shredded tatters; the walls had holes in them large enough to let shafts of sunlight through; and not a single door or painting did not have gashes all the way through it. This started to make me nervous, but I couldn't detect any animosity in the Zoroark's demeanour. In fact, if I had to guess, it was being sent to fetch us by someone.

We rounded a second corner and my mouth dropped. In front of us was a set of beautiful oak doors, painted shimmering white. There was no damage to them whatsoever, in stark contrast to the poor condition of the rest of the manor. The black specks floating through the air were coming from all directions and disappearing into the door's frame, somehow reinforcing it with energy.

That wasn't the most interesting part, though. Hovering right in front of the door was Darkrai, and just to its side was Specialle. She looked okay, but worried somehow.

<Greetings, humans,> I heard a voice say inside my head. It was neither angry nor happy, but it was old, and powerful. <I apologise for my earlier anger. An upstart has come here and disturbed the balance of the Manor.>

"Yeah, that's probably my Gallade, Dual, right?" I asked. I had dealt with Legendary Pokemon before. It was all about respect and directness, but with the power to back it up.

The Darkrai shot me a look. <Indeed. He demanded entry into this room, the room I have been guarding for over fifty years. When I refused to allow him in, he instead challenged me. He was able to temporarily overpower me and enter the room. Thankfully, none of those inside escaped.>

"What's inside?" I asked, now worried for the safety of my partner. Dual could be a little brash and unthinking, but he was still one of my dear friends.

<Pokemon too powerful to be let free,> the Dark-type replied. <They have been tainted by some unknown force, given power and hatred which they wish dearly to use. I took it upon myself to lock them in here, lest they cause trouble for innocents.>

"You know, us Rangers aren't useless. We could clear this room out and make it safe for everyone to enter," I chided the Darkrai.

<YOU THINK YOU KNOW BETTER THAN I?> the Pokemon exploded. <I see now where your Gallade gets his superiority. Your little group is good at what they do, I admit, but think you I would chain myself to this place for less than a good reason? I believe that only someone with true strength and humility can enter and teach these Pokemon that power and hatred are not all life has to offer.>

"Right, let me in there then," I said, cracking my neck.

<Not you,> Darkrai said flatly. <Your Pokemon may have strength but you are not humble. However, I believe the woman to be exactly the type of person I have been looking for. I have watched her since our earlier encounter, and I sent my friend here to guide you to me.>

"You know that there's no way I'm going to let you try and use Mizuki for your own ends, right?" I asked the Pokemon angrily.

<Indeed.> The Darkrai moved one of its arm quickly, and a black torrent of energy blasted towards me. I couldn't dodge in time, and the darkness wrapped around me in a cocoon. I shot Specialle a quick look, and she nodded: my Dusknoir would keep an eye on Mizuki while I was gone. With a sudden pop, Chainy the Ranger disappeared from this world.

<Now, I must test you.> The Darkrai clapped its hands together and black walls of energy rose up from the floor towards the ceiling, locking everyone inside an impenetrable box. <Come at me, Mizuki of Kalos. Impress me.> The Pokemon spread its arms wide and entered a battle stance. Blue energy flowed out from its eyes eagerly, and the white door behind started to shake as if something (or lots of somethings) was jostling to get out.

~~~~~

Current Battle Statistics:

DARKRAI!?!?!??!!? 100%

~~~~~

Trainer Statistics:

Name: Mizuki
    Area Effects: 4 Encounters Remaining
    Pokemon Encountered: Sableye, Yamask, Darkrai, Gourgeist, Lampent, Poochyena, Pumpkaboo, Fearow, Drifloon, Gourgeist, Zoroark, Darkrai
    Pokemon Captured: Female Careful Sableye, Female Sassy Small Gourgeist, Female Quiet Super Pumpkaboo
    CC since last Encounter: 0

Pokemon Statistics:

Quirky F Greninja 73%
    Name: Kaeruichi
    Ability: Protean
    EMs: Surf, Waterfall

Impish F Gengar 100%
    Name: ChristmasPast
    Ability: Levitate
    EMs: Strength, Thunderbolt, Explosion, Taunt, Sludge Bomb, Will-o-Wisp, Hidden Power Flying, Substitute, Attract, Psych Up, Toxic, Protect, Energy Ball, Snatch, Focus Punch, Psychic, Torment, Counter, Ice Punch, Rest, Giga Drain, Focus Blast, Sleep Talk, Fire Punch, Skill Swap, Trick Room, Swagger, Dazzling Gleam, Icy Wind, Pain Split, Disable, Perish Song, Knock Off, Foul Play, Haze

Hasty M Drapion 94%
    Name: Kurai
    Ability: Battle Armor
    EMs: Aerial Ace, Payback, Toxic, Taunt, Protect, Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Poison Jab, Substitute, Roar, Earthquake, Brick Break, Bulldoze, Iron Tail, Rock Tomb, Thief, Rest, Sleep Talk, Agility, Confuse Ray, Aqua Tail

Quirky F Honchkrow 61%
    Name: Karasu
    Ability: Insomnia
    EMs: Thunder Wave, Psych Up, Icy Wind, Roost, Brave Bird, Drill Peck, Whirlwind, Quick Attack, Heat Wave, Superpower

Item Statistics:

Digital Camera, Super Potion x5, Full Heal x2, Park Ball x2, Hyperball x2, Superball x2, Apricorn Box, 2x Special Picture, 1x Legendary Picture

~~~~~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,814 (0 Banked)

TP#21

Something was calling Mizuki’s feet forward, even if she hadn’t wanted to follow. The dark-furred creature took off an all fours, its red highlights flashing in the darkness with every bound. Zu supposed her own form looked similar when she ran, only it was white instead of red.

As they continued down the hall, dark energy started to gather in the air like spores, floating gently like the first snowfall in Snowbelle. For an instant she was back in her father’s garden, sitting by the Qwilfish pond and letting the light flakes flutter against her skin. Maybe it was how the scenery seemed frozen in time. Her father was too.

The section of the manor was even older than the parts they had been exploring, she thought. The rugs were time-eaten and frayed, dulled into moldy masses of color to match the dust layer on the walls and floor. Wood was missing pieces, and the light was even poorer than in the other areas. However, there was a faint glow up ahead that intrigued her.

When they turned a corner, the entire group came to a stop. It was just another hallway, but at the end of it sat pristine wooden doors that blazed white. The dark snowflakes contrasted nicely as they seemed to both disappear into and escape the cracks around the frame.

A familiar form took up the space in front of the doors. Inky black in the shape of a ragged cloak made up the Darkrai once again. Chainy’s Pokemon, the Dusknoir, was also present. Something was probably up with his missing one then.

Suddenly, a tingling sensation erupted at the back of her heard, and swiftly following it was the low rumble of who she supposed was the legendary Pokemon. It spoke of something upsetting balance in this place, and Zu nodded. That’s probably what was giving her that uneasy feeling. Instinct was rarely wrong, and although most humans were out of touch with it, for ninjas, it was required.

Apparently, the Ranger’s Pokemon, which was a Gallade, had barged his way through the doors that locked many powerful Pokemon inside. Darkrai had tasked itself with guarding the place. The doors reminded her of the vault at her home. Her father had hidden the key ever since he stole it from his grandfather, keeping it under traps so nobody could undo the lock and steal what was inside.

“You know, us Rangers aren’t useless,” Chainy said. “We could clear this room out and make it safe for everyone to enter.”

Zu turned her head to look at him, seeing the utter confidence on his face. He believed his words, lived and breathed the creed demanded of him as a Ranger.

Then, anger boiled over the mental link Darkrai had established, flooding her mind with red. It was a different type of anger than her father’s, who was more of a quiet storm that lashed out to strike. All the same, she knew how to react to anger. Zu shut her emotions down as she kept her face as clear as it always was. It did no good to give intent away. It kept enemies on edge. She wasn’t sure if Darkrai was going to be an enemy or not.

Darkrai said only one with strength and humility could enter the doors with the hope of calming the wild Pokemon. It was looking for someone to teach Pokemon that power and hatred weren’t all there was to life. An empty dart shell appeared between her fingers as she rolled it. Was there more than that?

Her father would disagree.

“Right, let me in there then,” the Ranger said, stretching his limbs.

Zu knew Darkrai’s answer even before it spoke, seeing it in the way he held his body and the flood of flat refusal that rushed through the connection. “Not you. Your Pokemon may have strength but you are not humble. However, I believe the woman to be exactly the type of person I have been looking for.”

The ninja stiffened a little on reflex, her body shifting into a stance that would allow her to move fast if needed. The weight rested on the balls of her feet, and her eyes took in every corner of the hallway.

“You know that there’s no way I’m going to let you try and use Mizuku for your own ends, right?” Chainy demanded. As part of his job, he had to protect visiting Trainers.

What he didn’t know was that she didn’t need anyone to protect her. She hadn’t needed it since she was five years old and holding a kunai for the first time, and she wasn’t going to start now.

The Darkrai agreed, albeit for different reasons. With the flash of its arm, energy wrapped around the Ranger, enclosing him in dark bindings. The Dusknoir started as she saw her Trainer in trouble, but there was no time to act. Zu could do nothing—poisoned darts were not going to affect this Pokemon much. Nearly as soon as the Ranger was wrapped up, he disappeared with a pop, leaving empty air where he had stood.

“Now I must test you,” the Darkrai said against her mind. With a clap, walls of energy rose up, locking them into a space of the legend’s own making. “Come at me, Mizuki of Kalos. Impress me.”

The legend relaxed into a battle-ready stance as its eyes blazed with power. Zu stared it down as the door behind it buckled with the force of the Pokemon trying to be free.

“I may not be what you’re looking for,” she said, shifting her body as Kaeruichi stepped up beside her. The frog crouched low—her battle stance. “I am what I am, regardless of any test. But I will fight you.”

She would not be used. Her father hadn’t been allowed to do it, and after that, there was little tolerance for any other. But this was a challenge she couldn’t duck out of. Now it was more than just herself on the line.

“If I succeed, you will return the Ranger to me.”

It was not wise to challenge a legend so, but since embarking on this run, she was part of a team. Nobody was being left behind on it. While she didn’t really think Chainy was in any real danger, she wasn’t going to assume. Everyone had their own agenda, and Pokemon were not excluded.

Zu breathed deep and relaxed her muscles. The room ebbed and flowed around them, bubbling with the Darkrai’s energy. She wasn’t going to be allowed to back out.

It was always some kind of test. Everything in her father’s house was a test, from the way one conversed at dinner to sleeping at night. Weren’t they good enough as they were? Sometimes, no matter the test, they were not going to change. Nor should they.

She loved her brother dearly, but she knew that no matter how hard her father pushed him, he would never be a great ninja. He was too soft, too caring, to really be able to fall into the role. He just didn’t know it yet. It would hit him, as soon as her father shoved too hard. She just hoped it wouldn’t break him.

Unfortunately, she had fallen into the job all too well. In some ways, it was good to know what she was capable of. Another part of her mourned what she had lost. No matter what, however, she was a warrior. And so they would do battle.

The best way to proceed was to move fast. She didn’t know what the Darkrai could do, so it would be best to cripple it if they could.

“Cover,” she called to Kaeruichi, keeping her eyes sweeping across the room. Due to the darkness, hand signals alone wouldn’t cut it. If Darkrai was also capable of connecting mind to mind with them to speak, there was also the chance that it could read their minds anyway. “Enhance it,” Zu added.

The Greninja kept low, opening her mouth as an inky black Smokescreen poured out of it. Soon, her camouflage ability took effect, dissolving her form into the smoke. Zu pulled her scarf up to cover her nose and mouth as the thick smog started to fill the room with even more blackness. The smell wasn’t always pleasant, like the fires in the neighboring town that had burned all the houses to the ground.

To make the effect even worse, Kaeruichi would warp the technique to try and throw off Darkai’s senses. It was powerful energy-wise, but it was often hard to function if one’s senses weren’t all working properly. Although Extrasensory wouldn’t really affect the legend much directly, the frog warrior could manipulate the air around the Dark-type, churning and thickening the smoke right where it would sting the Darkrai the most. She may disable the Darkrai’s senses.

Eyes and nose were sensitive spots on all creatures, and she was hoping that even while the Darkrai was a being made of energy, it would still have to rely on some physical functions. The smoke cover would also let them gauge what the Darkrai was going to do. She had never faced down a legend before, so she didn’t know what to expect.

URPG Stats
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator | Judge
    Park Characters | AH: Ixin - Damian | Legend Tracker
    AIM/Discord: WinterVines
    Hatches at 1495

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    42 (0 Banked)

BP #1

Specialle

~~~~~

Ranger-teacher-James was taken by Legendary-fear-Darkrai. This is not good. Specialle is sure that safety-Ranger-James is safe. But this could be dangerous for friendly-Mizuki-darkness. Most Trainers do not face off against the intense power of Legendary Pokemon, let alone angry-Darkrai-calm. Still, if there was anyone to deal with the rage of a legend, Specialle supposed that this one could qualify. She knew that it was her duty to keep an eye on the Trainers when her Ranger was indisposed and the best hope for getting James-missing-safety back lay with darkness-Mizuki-friend.

The battle-order-commands were given, and water-ninja-frog released a great amount of dark smoke, which curled and roiled invitingly. Some feared the darkness, but not Specialle. The darkness was her home, the place she was born and lived until James-safety-heart rescued her from the evils she had been forced to commit. The bank-fog-cloud grew larger, aided by some ability of the warrior-frog-Greninja, until it encompassed all of the hallway that Specialle could see. Of course, she could see past the walls into parts of the hallway that no human ever could, but Specialle doubted that the testing-powerful-Darkrai would exploit these.

<I find myself in need of the ability to communicate with this woman,> a voice echoed throughout Specialle's head. <I shall be borrowing you for a short while.>

Anger flared up through Specialle but she found herself unable to resist the power of the Darkrai-hunter-shadow. Her body went rigid and her vision took on an aqua tinge. A voice thrust itself out of her mouth, but it was not hers.

"An interesting opening move, Mizuki of Kalos." The voice was cool and amused. "I get the impression that you like to avoid and disarm. However, what happens when your opponent cannot be misled?"

The darkness-shadow-cloud suddenly rippled, and the master-billowing-Darkrai appeared in a flash. His shroud moved like a cape as he flew at high speed. He moved like lightning, sweeping at his opponent's legs. Surprisingly, the Greninja-warrior-water responded just as quickly, leaning to the side so that the strike was glancing at best. The two Pokemon exchanged a quick flurry of blows and dodges which were almost supernatural in speed. Whenever the Darkrai-aggressor-Legendary aimed a punch or a swipe, it would be quickly and neatly countered by either a solid block or a jab at a more exposed area. The high-speed sparring match went for a good ten seconds before the Darkrai growled and flew back into the dark cloud.

"This is quite a debilitating technique for a lesser Pokemon, to be sure. In fact, even I find the toxins slightly irritating. And I must congratulate you on the training of your Greninja: She is truly formidable. But what do you do when you must overcome obstacles that you yourself have set in place?"

It was quite clear to Specialle that the Darkrai-sneak-legend did not intend to leave its place of concealment. What could Mizuki-battler-strategy possibly do to draw the Legend out, or at the very least find it within the hidden-darkness-swirls?

~~~~~

DARKRAI!?!?!??!!? 100%

Quirky Female Greninja: 70%

~~~~~

Trainer Statistics:

Pokemon Encountered: Sableye, Yamask, Darkrai, Gourgeist, Lampent, Poochyena, Pumpkaboo, Fearow, Drifloon, Gourgeist, Zoroark, Darkrai
    Pokemon Captured: Female Careful Sableye, Female Sassy Small Gourgeist, Female Quiet Super Pumpkaboo
    CC since last Encounter: 8462

Pokemon Statistics:

Quirky F Greninja 73%

Impish F Gengar 100%
    EMs: Strength, Thunderbolt, Explosion, Taunt, Sludge Bomb, Will-o-Wisp, Hidden Power Flying, Substitute, Attract, Psych Up, Toxic, Protect, Energy Ball, Snatch, Focus Punch, Psychic, Torment, Counter, Ice Punch, Rest, Giga Drain, Focus Blast, Sleep Talk, Fire Punch, Skill Swap, Trick Room, Swagger, Dazzling Gleam, Icy Wind, Pain Split, Disable, Perish Song, Knock Off, Foul Play, Haze

Hasty M Drapion 94%
    EMs: Aerial Ace, Payback, Toxic, Taunt, Protect, Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Poison Jab, Substitute, Roar, Earthquake, Brick Break, Bulldoze, Iron Tail, Rock Tomb, Thief, Rest, Sleep Talk, Agility, Confuse Ray, Aqua Tail

Quirky F Honchkrow 61%
    EMs: Thunder Wave, Psych Up, Icy Wind, Roost, Brave Bird, Drill Peck, Whirlwind, Quick Attack, Heat Wave, Superpower

Item Statistics:

Digital Camera, Super Potion x5, Full Heal x2, Park Ball x2, Hyperball x2, Superball x2, Apricorn Box, 2x Special Picture, 1x Legendary Picture

~~~~~
    Last edited by ChainReaction01; 08-07-14 at 06:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,814 (0 Banked)

@ChainReaction01;

TP#22

Kaeruichi met the Darkrai blow for blow in a blur of speed that Zu could barely follow. It was likely that the Greninja was not following with her eyes either—warriors trained their bodies to react to instinct and let practiced motions and intuition guide them. All the studying and planning in the world did not help on the field if one couldn’t adjust and let the battler soul take them over. It was the only way she had ever kept pace with her father.

When the two finished and sprang apart, the Darkrai disappeared back into the smoke, leaving Kaeruichi panting slightly. The frog Pokemon flicked her tongue over her shoulder as she adjusted, but the battle weary stance never left her. Zu could see the line of tension down her shoulders.

The legend, still using Specialle for communication, seemed to be mildly impressed and told her so. However, the test was not over.

It was clear that the Darkrai was not going to bring the fight to them. That meant they had to go to him. The problem was the smoke.

It wasn’t necessarily a problem, per se, but the cover did work both ways. That just meant that they had to show off other skills. Darkrai had mentioned that they were good at sneaking, but now it was time to prove that they could bring the fire too.

Zu also realized that this may not be a fight that Kaeruichi could handle alone. The ninja had the greatest confidence in her Pokemon’s strength, but they didn’t know what was behind that door. Provided they were granted entry, they were going to need to preserve strength. Besides, it could be that Darkrai wanted to test all of her partners.

The white-haired woman palmed a Pokeball from her vest in a smooth motion, keeping the device in its shrunken state as she held it behind her. Then, she instructed Kaeruichi.

“Full power, then get back,” Zu told her.

With a nod, the frog Pokemon straightened, lifting a webbed hand up to her face like she was forming jutsu symbols. Then, she flung her other arm out to the side and hunkered down, opening her mouth as a torrent of water jetted out—a hydro pump.

The powerful move was sometimes inaccurate, but Zu wasn’t really worried about hitting the Darkrai. In reality, they probably weren’t going to defeat the legend one way or another. They just had to prove they could fight.

The water itself would help dissipate some of the smoke, and even if it missed, the streams of water would at least highlight where the Darkrai wasn’t. The second half of their plan was the trickier part.

Once Kaeruichi knew or didn’t know where the legend was, she would rush in and try to U-turn out, further scouting the darkness by using the Dark-type as a pivot. Of course, this all depended on the Greninja’s ability to locate the target. If she couldn’t, she would still return, they just wouldn’t be as fruitful.

Zu palmed Karasu’s ball in her hand. If they couldn’t reveal the Darkrai this way, they would try something else. The Honchkrow was semi injured since her last fight, but the bird would be okay for this. The ninja didn’t want to send Kurai out right away, since he angered too easily, and this Darkrai seemed all too eager to point out flaws. That would just send the Drapion into a rage. Chris was a matter of types; Zu didn’t want to send out the ghost until they got a better handle on the situation.

As Kaeruichi let loose her Water-type attack, Zu tensed in preparation to trade-off partners.

URPG Stats
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator | Judge
    Park Characters | AH: Ixin - Damian | Legend Tracker
    AIM/Discord: WinterVines
    Hatches at 1495

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    42 (0 Banked)

BP #2

Darkrai

OOC: @WinterVines; oh my god how do I even ranger

~~~~~

This woman was a skilled combatant, of this the Darkrai had no doubt. Her Greninja was a true warrior as well. The most interesting aspect of their teamwork was the woman's ability to give complex orders without tipping her hand. Even as the frog Pokemon began its next attack, the Darkrai was unsure what she was planning. It drifted through the smoky haze, never staying in one place long enough to be hit by an ordinary attack.

It turned out that the Greninja's attack was anything but ordinary. A colossal amount of water blasted from the frog's mouth, and the Greninja alternated directions as it tried to dispel as much of the smoke as possible. The effect was greater than the woman could have hoped for; the first Hydro Pump blast nailed the Darkrai and pushed it back against the wall of the Manor. The Legendary Pokemon grunted in surprise and lay stunned as the rushing water hosed down all the smoke in the Darkrai's vicinity. The Dark-type attempted to move back into the smoke, but Kaeruichi was too fast. The Water-type barreled forwards and struck the Darkrai under the chin with a graceful flip-kick before backflipping towards Mizuki.

"Fine!" the snarl echoed strangely through Specialle. "You have shown your mastery of the shadows."

The Darkrai threw its arms wide, and sheets of flame billowed outwards. The walls were snap-dried by the heat of the fire as it purged nearly all of the smoke from the air. Some small tongues licked at Kaeruichi as the frog retreated, but they did minor damage at best. The woman held out a ball as if to return her Pokemon.

The smoke having dispersed, the Darkrai floated back into the air. "What waits behind this door does not rely much on trickery, however," the Darkrai's voice echoed throughout the corridor. "To prove yourself equal to this test, I would see you face me in direct combat. Do you have the strength necessary to do this?"

As the Legendary Pokemon posed the question, it made a few quick turns in the air causing its cloak to billow and twirl gracefully. Twin motes of blue light glowed in the air and began growing in size, each quickly attained the shape of a large curved scimitar. The Darkrai grasped one scimitar with either hand and held them in a practiced stance: one pointed straight at Ivy and the other held almost lazily over its head.

~~~~~

DARKRAI!?!?!??!!? 72%, ATK+2

Quirky Female Greninja: 63% or Quirky F Honchkrow 61%

~~~~~

Trainer Statistics:

CC since last Encounter: 11940

Pokemon Statistics:

Quirky F Greninja ACTIVE

Impish F Gengar 100%

Hasty M Drapion 94%

Quirky F Honchkrow ACTIVE

Item Statistics:

~~~~~

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    42 (0 Banked)

Run closed at Trainer's request, posting in claims now.