Thread: Gen VI Run: WinterVines

Avid Roleplayer ChainReaction01's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    42 (0 Banked)

NBP #4

Ranger Chainy

~~~~~~

"No, thank you. I think we will pass on another fight," the woman responded. She looked up at the Pokemon, which was watching her steadily. "Sorry, friend."

"There is something you can use if it is upset, yes?" Mizuki returned her gaze to me. "I recall reading about some sort of doll. I’d like to use whatever method that is if necessary. I can pay."

"It's always good to know that the Trainer has read the brochures, but I don't think in this case buying a PokeDoll will be necessary," I replied. "That Yamask seems pretty happy to stay there and guard his chandelier. Come on, let's go take a look upstairs, the ground floor is usually pretty boring."

I turned around and started leading Mizuki to the staircase but I froze instantly. Hovering on the lowest part of the staircase was one of the rarest Pokemon known to man, the Legendary Dark-type Darkrai. Its white hair and black coat ruffled in a nonexistent breeze and it was watching us quite closely, without moving. Its blue eyes shone like truck headlights, but they were burning with a peculiar fire, as if the Pokemon was angry about something.

"Mizuki, if you have a camera, you might want to snap a shot of him," I said quietly. "Do it quick, though, because he seems pretty pissed off about something."

~~~~~

Trainer Statistics:

Name: Mizuki
    Area Effects: 12 Encounters Remaining
    Pokemon Encountered: Sableye, Yamask, Darkrai
    Pokemon Captured: Female Careful Sableye
    CC since last Encounter: 0

Pokemon Statistics:

Quirky F Greninja 73%
    Name: Kaeruichi
    Ability: Protean
    EMs: Surf, Waterfall

Impish F Gengar 100%
    Name: ChristmasPast
    Ability: Levitate
    EMs: Strength, Thunderbolt, Explosion, Taunt, Sludge Bomb, Will-o-Wisp, Hidden Power Flying, Substitute, Attract, Psych Up, Toxic, Protect, Energy Ball, Snatch, Focus Punch, Psychic, Torment, Counter, Ice Punch, Rest, Giga Drain, Focus Blast, Sleep Talk, Fire Punch, Skill Swap, Trick Room, Swagger, Dazzling Gleam, Icy Wind, Pain Split, Disable, Perish Song, Knock Off, Foul Play, Haze

Hasty M Drapion 100%
    Name: To be determined, probably on the spot.
    Ability: Battle Armor
    EMs: Aerial Ace, Payback, Toxic, Taunt, Protect, Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Poison Jab, Substitute, Roar, Earthquake, Brick Break, Bulldoze, Iron Tail, Rock Tomb, Thief, Rest, Sleep Talk, Agility, Confuse Ray, Aqua Tail

Quirky F Honchkrow 100%
    Name: Karasu
    Ability: Insomnia
    EMs: Thunder Wave, Psych Up, Icy Wind, Roost, Brave Bird, Drill Peck, Whirlwind, Quick Attack, Heat Wave, Superpower

Item Statistics:

Digital Camera, Super Potion x5, Full Heal x2, Park Ball x3, Hyperball x2, Superball x3, Apricorn Box

~~~~~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,814 (0 Banked)

I expect a stone from this :<

TP#6

The Ranger shook his head at her offer, saying, “It’s always good to know that the Trainer has read the brochures, but I don’t think in this case buying a Pokedoll will be necessary. That Yamask seems pretty happy to stay there and guard his chandelier. Come on, let’s go take a look upstairs, the ground floor is usually pretty boring.”

Mizuki nodded, and with a flick of her wrist, tucked the pouch full of coins into her vest silently. She liked saving resources, especially because she traveled a lot and didn’t have a home base. She did expect to shell out some funds, however, since according to the pamphlets, most people did unless they got into a lot of battles. She didn’t want to fight that much. Chainy also seemed surprised that she had read about this place and knew that it was one of the subtle differences between her people and his—her father had always stressed having the correct information before any sort of plan.

She followed the Ranger toward the stairs, wondering how many floors this place had. There were at least two, obviously, but were there other stairways tucked away? If needed, she could probably survive a fall out of a third story window, but much higher than that was questionable.

Zu felt the air change seconds before the Ranger stopped, pausing her own footsteps. In a whirl of dark energy, a Pokemon appeared. A long, jagged overcoat covered the body of the legend, decorated by a ring of red beads and a long white mane of hair. A Darkrai.

“Mizuki, if you have a camera, you might want to snap a shot of him,” Chainy said. “Do it quick, though, because he seems pretty pissed off about something.”

She could easily see he was right. The Darkrai’s piercing blue eyes were narrowed and tight instead of curious. Zu tipped her head to the side and studied the legend’s posture. What was making it upset?

It was something to speculate later, as she didn’t want to evoke its wrath. While she had confidence in her Pokemon’s abilities, it was early on in the run, and she didn’t know what else they would come up against. She needed her partners at full strength.

Zu flicked a hand, calling up her small camera. It wasn’t the first time she had gathered information in this way. The disruptor of dreams was something worth pondering on. The camera itself was small, fitting easily in one hand. There was a clear case surrounding the box, too. The last mission she had used it had been underwater.

She snapped an image without flash as not to bother the legend. Was there a disturbance in the Manor? What could really bother a legendary Pokemon of its caliber?

URPG Stats
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator | Judge
    Park Characters | AH: Ixin - Damian | Legend Tracker
    AIM/Discord: WinterVines
    Hatches at 1495

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    42 (0 Banked)

NBP #5

Ranger Chainy

~~~~~

Mizuki was quick to follow my advice. She flicked a camera into her hand and took a quick picture. I noticed that she hadn't used the flash, and while that could cause a lower-quality picture, the bright light might have enraged the Legendary Pokemon. Which was definitely something that we wanted to avoid.

As the Darkrai had its picture taken, it narrowed its eyes at Mizuki. The blue eyes blazed out further (if that was possible). There was palpable tension in the air, but finally, the Dark-type started to move backwards. It started to phase through the wall behind itself, never taking its gaze off Mizuki. It was only after the Darkrai had disappeared completely that I exhaled gratefully. I'd never seen a Pokemon act like that towards anyone, bar poachers. I very much doubted that Mizuki was a poacher, though; she had far too much respect for Pokemon.

"All right, let's move on I guess," I said, wanting to distance myself from this spot as soon as possible. I led Mizuki up the stairs, moving quicker than I normally would have. We reached the landing, and I saw that we were in a corridor, which branched out to the left and right and withdrew into the darkness. Directly to our right the staircase led up to a higher floor; I couldn't remember if that was the attic or if there was one more floor in-between us.

I heard a high-pitched giggle off to our left, and I turned my head just in time to see a very strange-looking Pokemon appear from out of the darkness. The bottom of its body was bulbous, and shaped like a carved-out pumpkin. Its upper body was much more slim, and reminded me of a dancer's body. Long, light-pink hair swayed from side to side as the Pokemon moved forwards, smiling at us.

"I don't suppose you want to try catching a Gourgeist?" I asked Mizuki.

~~~~~

Trainer Statistics:

Pokemon Encountered: Sableye, Yamask, Darkrai, Gourgeist
    CC since last Encounter: 2604

Pokemon Statistics:

Quirky F Greninja 73%

Impish F Gengar 100%
    EMs: Strength, Thunderbolt, Explosion, Taunt, Sludge Bomb, Will-o-Wisp, Hidden Power Flying, Substitute, Attract, Psych Up, Toxic, Protect, Energy Ball, Snatch, Focus Punch, Psychic, Torment, Counter, Ice Punch, Rest, Giga Drain, Focus Blast, Sleep Talk, Fire Punch, Skill Swap, Trick Room, Swagger, Dazzling Gleam, Icy Wind, Pain Split, Disable, Perish Song, Knock Off, Foul Play, Haze

Hasty M Drapion 100%
    Name: To be determined, probably on the spot.
    EMs: Aerial Ace, Payback, Toxic, Taunt, Protect, Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Poison Jab, Substitute, Roar, Earthquake, Brick Break, Bulldoze, Iron Tail, Rock Tomb, Thief, Rest, Sleep Talk, Agility, Confuse Ray, Aqua Tail

Quirky F Honchkrow 100%
    EMs: Thunder Wave, Psych Up, Icy Wind, Roost, Brave Bird, Drill Peck, Whirlwind, Quick Attack, Heat Wave, Superpower

Item Statistics:

Digital Camera, Super Potion x5, Full Heal x2, Park Ball x3, Hyperball x2, Superball x3, Apricorn Box

~~~~~

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,814 (0 Banked)

Drapion’s name is now Kurai if you could edit that in please! Also let’s go Gourgeist-Small and Female.

TP#7

Mizuki slipped the camera away quickly, tucking it into the vest underneath her cloak without taking her eyes off the legendary Pokemon. How many Trainers could say they had seen one of these powerful creatures? Her family wasn’t likely to believe that, even if she was still in contact with them. It would’ve amazed her little brother.

Blazing blue orbs seemed locked on her as well, and an old dangerous feeling in her bones started to act up. Likely, its bad mood was aimed toward her, although she couldn’t fathom why. She hadn’t been in the Manor that long. The only event she could think of was battling the Sableye. Had it been watching?

She felt the wait of the shiny bauble of the ghost’s in her pocket, resting just under where her braid sat over her shoulder. Was that something more than just a glimmering stone? Zu fought the urge to take it out and look at it—if it was, in fact, the reason why the legend was so upset, she didn’t want to provoke it. Confident in their strength she was; reckless she was not.

Still, she wouldn’t cower away. She had trained long and hard to be unflinching, and she wasn’t about to throw that away. Her shoulders stiffened and she refused to look anywhere than the legend, but her body did adjust for action, just in case. Her weight shifted onto the balls of her feet, and she could feel Kaeruichi tense behind her.

She kept the level look. Fear was like tears—it could only be used against you. If someone wanted to hurt you, they were going to regardless of how you reacted. She figured this legend was about the same. If it wanted to start a fight, there was going to be no stopping it. Cowering away wasn’t in her blood.

The moment seemed to drag on for a long time, but after only a few seconds, the Darkrai began to disappear, backing up until it phased through the stairs. It didn’t stop staring at her. It wasn’t even a Ghost-type, but that it could still disappear like that was a testament to its strength.

When it was completely gone, Mizuki frowned a little. Would they be seeing Darkrai again? That was troubling.

Chainy eyed her skeptically for a second, but she barely caught the flick of his head. Likely he was wondering why Darkrai had seemed so aggravated with her, and he wasn’t alone in his thinking. She was curious, but she wasn’t willing to pursue it quite yet. If she had been alone, maybe, but not in a reserve like this that was unfamiliar.

“All right, let’s move on I guess,” the Ranger said. Then, Zu followed him up the stairs.

They ended up in a hallway of sorts, with one side leading up with another set of stairs and the other leading down to a bunch of doors, some open and closed. It was a little jarring since the openness of the main room loomed to their backs.

The hairs on the back of Zu’s neck rose an instant before an eerie giggle echoed off the walls down the hall. A Ghost-type Pokemon appeared, looking like a mix between a jack-o-lantern and a candlestick. The pumpkin part was a dusty brown with carved out places for glowing eyes and a wide, smiling mouth. Light ribbon-like appendages came down from the top where a wick-like curl bobbed like hair. Another face, much smaller than the one on the pumpkin, peeked out near the top.

“I don’t suppose you want to try catching a Gourgeist?” Chainy asked.

Mizuki thought about it for a moment, cocking her head to the side as she analyzed the environment. There was ample space, but only on one side. The ghost was sure to be tricky, just like the Sableye. For that, she’d need a Pokemon that could handle a few surprises. Well, she had a Pokemon that was a little surprising, too.

Kaeruichi beside her rolled her shoulders, shivering in anticipation. She made a curious sound, gesturing at the pumpkin Pokemon.

Zu nodded. “Yes, I think we will,” she answered.

The girl backed up and dug underneath her cloak again, pulling out a red and white sphere. She dropped it down beside her, catching it on reflex when it bounced back into her hand from the flood. In a burst of white light, a dark-feathered bird emerged, flapping her wings as she landed on the stair rail. A large slanted hat sat on her head.

“Hello, Karasu,” Zu greeted, rubbing the bright white feathers on the crow’s front.

The Honchkrow had some strange eccentrics, so she would probably be able to handle the ghost better than her other Pokemon. Kaeruichi was a good bet as well, but she had already battled and it was wise to conserve strength. Kurai was another option, but he tended to be impatient and easily upset. Not good for messing with a ghost. Chris was a fair battler when she wasn’t messing around, but it wasn’t a great idea to play a bunch of tricks on Ghost-types.

The ninja looked around, debating what to do. Because of the strange area and Karasu’s ability to fly, silent hand gestures probably weren’t going to work. Half of them she wouldn’t be able to see. Zu would just have to give direction ahead of time.

“Karasu, create some cover with Haze and then swoop in for a Night Slash.”

The Honchkrow squawked in affirmation, flapping her wings before jumping up to take flight. If she ventured into the hallways, it would be a little bit of a tight fit, but the bird’s flight patterns were a little…strange, so she might be fine. If she stayed out in the open, she’d be out of range for the most part, but that included attacks from both sides.

The milky fog would create some cover for her, at least. It would take up too much energy to cloak the entire room, but if it was concentrated around the ghost, Karasu might be able to stay mostly out of sight. Other than the white patch, which was brighter than Zu’s hair by just a little, it was mostly navy feathers. Her dark coloring made her blend into the shadows easily, which was handy for the types of places they stalked.

When she was ready, she would swoop in with a Night Slash. It was a little different than standard procedure, though. Instead of a close range technique, Karasu preferred to stay mobile and in flight, shifting the slash to a non-contact move. The last time she had performed it, the bird had flown in loops and barrel rolls until feathers fell off. Then, with a fierce caw, energy pushed them, the force turning into inky black bars that slashed forward. It was a little strange, but then again, so were they.

URPG Stats
    Hatches at 1495

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    42 (0 Banked)

BP #1

Ranger Chainy

~~~~~

Mizuki took a moment to think about my offer, but no longer. "Yes, I think we will," she replied. Her Protean Greninja looked like it wanted to get into the battle, but Mizuki chose to pull out a PokeBall instead (a choice that I agreed with). She threw the red-and-white sphere into the air and it released a slightly sinister-looking black bird that alighted onto the stair rail.

"Man, you're really pushing that whole ninja schtick," I muttered underneath my breath.

Mizuki greeted the bird, calling it Karasu. I noted the Japanese origin of the name with interest, but said nothing. Apparently, the woman was expecting some kind of trick-fest which, given her battle with the Sableye, was perhaps not too far from the truth. She patted the bird on its head, and the Honchkrow's eyes narrowed in happiness.

“Karasu, create some cover with Haze and then swoop in for a Night Slash,” Mizuki ordered, withdrawing her hand as she did so.

The Dark-type squawked and took to the air. It tilted from side-to-side but managed to stay aloft quite easily. Its flight style was an interesting cross between a crow's steady beating and an eagle's smooth glide. As the Honchkrow's wings moved, white foggy clouds began to gather underneath them. After reaching critical mass, they started to roll throughout the corridor, creating a heavy mist in which it could easily hide. This was an interesting choice; no doubt Mizuki and Karasu had lots of experience fighting in these conditions, but the Ghost was probably used to them too.

I heard another high-pitched giggle, followed by a very quick thwack sound. This was followed by a high-pitched buzzing. Acting on instinct, I leaned backwards, and not one second later a razor-sharp leaf tore through the air where my nose had just been. I reached up with one hand and turned on my Aura Reader to check on Mizuki's Honchkrow. Using the device I could check a Pokemon's health and energy levels. According to the readout, Karasu had been hit by a couple of the leaves, but they'd only done glancing damage at best.

"Karasu is fine," I said to Mizuki. She probably had a way to tell that her Pokemon was okay, but on the off-chance that she didn't some confirmation would probably be nice.

I heard a soft moaning sound and turned to my right. I smiled as I saw Specialle's head sticking out of the floor; she was mid-phase, probably hovering off the ground on the floor below.

"Don't worry, I'm fine, the Razor Leaf missed me," I said to her. "Why don't you go try to find out what the deal with that Darkrai is?"

She made an affirmative noise-one that anyone else would interpret as a ghastly wail-and faded back through the floor. I turned back to the battle just in time to see a blade of pure darkness emanate off of the Honchkrow's wings. Despite being pure black, I could see the energy waves through the fog without the help of my Aura Reader. The Night Slash struck the Gourgeist and knocked it over. The Grass-type squealed in outrage and slowly got back onto its feet. I turned up the visibility in my Aura Reader and I saw that the Wild Pokemon was holding both of its little hands out and chanting something. Slowly, a square of bright pink energy swirled into existence in front of its hands. Just like the Night Slash, this glowing pink shield would be visible to Mizuki even from outside the Haze.

~~~~~

Current Battle Statistics:

Quirky Female Honchkrow: 94% (used Haze, Night Slash)

??? Female Gourgeist: 80%, LS-1 (used Razor Leaf, Light Screen)

~~~~~

Trainer Statistics:

CC since last Encounter: 8940 / 25000

Pokemon Statistics:

Quirky F Greninja 73%

Impish F Gengar 100%

Hasty M Drapion 100%
    Name: Kurai

Quirky F Honchkrow ACTIVE

Item Statistics:

~~~~~

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,814 (0 Banked)

Bleh a little bit of word vomit this time.

TP#8

Chainy looked at them for a moment. Muttering softly, he said, “Man, you’re really pushing that whole ninja schtick.”

Mizuki probably wasn’t meant to hear, but years of having to listen for even the slightest whisper of change in the air had fined tuned her senses. That and having to push through a forest littered with her father’s traps while blindfolded. Her eyes hadn’t been too useful there.

Zu simply smiled at the Ranger with a curve to her eyes, tilting her head to the side briefly. She was used to skeptics, and really, she couldn’t blame them. The way of life she had been brought up with wasn’t useful now that the wars were over, but it was all she knew. Her father was in the frame of mind that the battle wasn’t over, and unfortunately, that’s the household she inherited.

On one hand, she didn’t mind. That meant most people didn’t take her seriously. That was usually an advantage.

Coupled with strange battle styles by Karasu and her other Pokemon, they made a pretty good team. As the bird took flight, Zu widened her stance slightly in case she had to move. The Haze would probably obstruct her sight a little as well unless there were exceptionally bright or dark patches, so she’d have to react on instinct. Without her knowing, the feathered chute for the dart appeared again in her hands, dancing between her fingertips. Old habits.

Karasu’s erratic flight was not an unwelcome sight. Her glide was sometimes smooth, but other times she did loops and rolls that didn’t really seem to follow a pattern. As she flew, dense fog rolled behind her until they ghosted through the halls. It wasn’t completely impossible to see, but it did distort what was really there fairly well. The Honchkrow slunk into the fog like the stealth practicers they were.

The Gourgeist giggled again, and Zu’s body braced itself automatically. There was a thunk, perhaps like something had flown out and hit the wall. Then, the air rippled and sang—something was flying through the air. The girl jerked herself to the side, pivoting on her left foot and putting her back to the stair rail as her braid whipped to follow. She saw Chainy jerk backwards as well.

In the place they had once been, as well as several other heights, razor-sharp leaves flashed by. It was just like the shuriken that were her father’s favorite. Her adrenaline now rushing, she immediately drew her attention into the fog, scanning for Karasu. She hadn’t called out, so that meant she wasn’t in any real trouble, but it was hard for her to sit back and let the Pokemon battle. This wasn’t like her world in which she could fight side-by-side; this was much more like an official league match.

A twitching developed in her fingers, and Zu had to clench them into a fist to make it stop. Even while she moved to avoid the Razor Leaf, her right hand had dipped under her cloak and unsnapped one of the cases on her belt. From the position, it was one of her toxin compartments: both poisons and antidotes. She had to remind herself that it wouldn’t be of much use here.

“Karasu is fine,” Chainy said, confirming her thoughts. He had a device over one eye and was looking into the fog intently. It must’ve been some sort of scanner. Energy levels or heat-sensing, perhaps.

A noise at their feet drew her attention as a gray head with a singular red eye appeared through the floor. It had what looked like a golden nail in the top of its head. It looked to the Ranger as it spoke in its native tongue.

“Don’t worry, I’m fine. The Razor Leaf missed me,” he told the Dusknoir. It must’ve been concerned. One of his partners likely. “Why don’t you go try to find out what the deal with that Darkrai is?”

The ghost faded back through the floor once more, and Zu watched the spot she had disappeared. A legendary Pokemon’s anger wasn’t anything to take lightly, although she was used to anger.

She couldn’t deal with this in the same way, however. Although it was possible for her to quit the run early and leave, a piece of her bristled at it. Besides, if the Darkrai truly had grievance with her personally and not just as an intruder on its territory, there was always the chance it could hunt her down. It wouldn’t be the first time, but this foe didn’t have to travel far to do it. It could just infiltrate her dreams.

Running didn’t really solve problems anyway, since it left too many unknowns. When she disagreed with her father, she didn’t really know if leaving had made the situation better or worse. He had been so angry that there was no reasoning with him, but he couldn’t continue unchecked either. Leaving had been her only real option.

She half expected him to send someone out to track her down, or perhaps even come himself. That is what originally drove her into the Wandering Woods near their home in Snowbelle. For three days she trekked through territory she knew, barely stopping for breaks and not sleeping at all while her nerves sang.

Times had been harder then, in the dead of winter. She hadn’t had so many Pokemon partners nor such familiarity with solo traveling. It didn’t take long for her to realize that nobody was coming after her in either concern or rage, but by that time, she had ventured more north than she planned.

Snow had fallen heavy that year, making landmarks hard to distinguish. She and Kaeruichi, only a Frogadier then, lost track of what was recognizable. A couple times she thought they were going to freeze to death. While the Wandering Woods weren’t malicious by nature, they specialized in hiding things, and sometimes going through the same path led to different places. It had been almost impossible to navigate.

Eventually, though, she had noticed they were being watched. However, it wasn’t by any ninja. A small, dark bird had become interested in them, flying through the thick trees in the cover of shadows as it stalked them. Only a Murkrow then, Karasu had still been suited to their way of life.

Murkrow near Snowbelle were rare, and that boded a good sign. It meant they were close to getting out. Zu followed the bird, becoming the hunter instead of the hunted, and eventually they got out of the snowy forest. Karasu had been amused with them, sticking with them even when they traveled far from home. A lot had changed since then.

The fog flashed in dark and light colors, firing her brain into thinking of the next part of the plan. A faintly pink pane was barely visible through the mist—it must’ve been a protective shield like Light Screen. Karasu emerged from the fog then, gliding slowly so she could survey what was happening below her. She was beginning to make a wide arc around the open space so she could circle around and dive back into the battle.

Zu held up an arm and twirled it around, receiving a caw in response as Karasu understood what she meant. “Cool it off, too,” she added. “Then dive in, but don’t make it too obvious.”

It had taken the ninja a split second to decide between ice and fire, and ice had won out. In an old place like this, too much heat could make the whole thing go up in flames. Escaping a burning building was possible, but she didn’t want to be at the root of it. Especially when so many Pokemon would be in danger.

The air shifted as the Honchkrow prepared her technique. What Zu had asked was a Whirlwind combined with Icy Wind. Together, the bird could keep the energy concentrated, making it both more powerful and under control. With fast flight, she usually sped around an opponent, whipping up winds to surround a foe and trap it for a few seconds. It should be just enough for the frozen gale to slow the ghost down slightly.

The gust wouldn’t last too long, as to not damage anything. It was also pretty hard to fly when the wind currents were out of balance, even if Karasu did fly a little strangely. After that, she’d be able to swoop in with a Drill Peck. The bird’s usual loops and rolls would hopefully be employed here, as a straight on attack was pretty obvious and made for easy predictions on the opponent’s part. The trick was to follow through with the attack and keep on flying, which Karasu usually did.

Even though she couldn’t see, Zu knew her Pokemon would be alright. They had all been trained as warriors. Fighting was in their blood. Once Karasu proved her might, they could perhaps find out what was wrong with Darkrai.

URPG Stats
    Hatches at 1495

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    42 (0 Banked)

BP #2

Ranger Chainy

~~~~~

Karasu wheeled gracefully out of the fog, ruining the image only slightly by flapping her wings to keep hr in place. Mizuki didn't waste any time; as soon as the Dark-type was in position to receive orders, she did so using more motions. This time they took the form of a raised arm, turned quickly in tight circles.

“Cool it off, too. Then dive in, but don’t make it too obvious,” she added.

The Honchkrow cawed in response and began to flap her wings more powerfully. Energy gathered underneath them, just like the fog initially had, but this was much harder to see; in this poor light, only the occasional line of movement was visible, almost like you were watching air move.

My thoughts randomly drifted as I watched the attack charge. Specialle was no doubt nearby, this type of semi-sideways battle was the kind she loved so she'd definitely be watching while quizzing the locals about the Darkrai. Dual probably couldn't think of a worse kind of hell, though. He would have wreathed his fists in fire and pummelled the Gourgeist into the ground until it submit to his power. The Gallade not only had increased mental powers because of his Psychic typing, but he could manipulate shadows just as well as Kaeruichi, and perhaps almost as well as any natural Ghost-type. If he wanted to chase someone down, they wouldn't be able to escape.

Actually, thinking of Dual made me wonder where he was. The Pokemon had told me that he was heading off for a training session, and I hadn't pried. He usually didn't appreciate my prying unless there was a good reason for it. Now that we were dealing with a potentially pissed-off Legendary Pokemon I felt antsy without him. His fending-off of a Kyogre was legendary in the Park, and being a Fighting-type his chances would be decent against a Darkrai.

I refocused on the battle just as Karasu unleashed her attack. Her wingbeats became more measured and powerful, and she rose up into the air. I could just pick out tiny motes of ice hovering in the air, and the Honchkrow began to direct them into the mist with mighty blasts of her wings. This fast-moving air cut through the fog like a knife, and through fluke or skill Karasu managed to pin down the Wild Gourgeist. It shrieked as the wind pulled at its long pink hair while keeping it pressed against the floorboards. The shield was dutifully blocking as much of the ice as possible, but some of it got under or around the glowing pink square.

When the wind finally died down, the Wild Pokemon got to its feet. It looked up and saw the bird Pokemon approaching, with light-blue energy gathering around its beak. Karasu didn't approach head-on, preferring instead to juke from side-to-side and retreat occasionally, but the Gourgeist simply watched its opponent calmly. The "eyes" on its pumpkin-body started to glow red, and small embers flickered on the floor around the Ghost-type's feet. When Karasu finally committed to a dive, the Gourgeist jumped up into the air, heading straight for the Dark-type. It phased through its own Light Screen and the fire moved up its body, until it was entirely coated with flames. Karasu struck first, drilling straight through the fire with its energy-coated beak. The Wild Pokemon shrieked again but continued its attack; it wrapped its hair around Karasu, throwing off the bird's flight. Karasu squawked flapped harder, trying to gain altitude, but it wasn't really working. The fire surrounding the Gourgeist died out, but the hair stayed wrapped around Karasu, and it started to glow bright white. Karasu finally couldn't stay aloft, and she crashed into the ground, making sure that the Gourgeist took the brunt of the fall. In doing so, she found herself free of the Grass-type's hair and she hopped quickly away.

I found myself intrigued by the Gourgeist's choice of move; Grass-types usually shied away from using Fire-type moves. Perhaps its Ghost-typing's affinity for fire overrode this? Or, maybe it was a shield for something else? Something was definitely wrong with Karasu; the Honchkrow was hopping around and quite clearly uncomfortable, at least judging by the way she was shaking her wings.

~~~~~

Quirky Female Honchkrow: 80% (used Whirlwind, Icy Wind, Drill Peck)

??? Female Gourgeist: 46%, LS-2 (used Flame Charge, Leech Seed)

~~~~~

Trainer Statistics:

CC since last Encounter: 17293 / 25000

Pokemon Statistics:

Quirky F Greninja 73%

Impish F Gengar 100%

Hasty M Drapion 100%

Item Statistics:

~~~~~

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,814 (0 Banked)

TP#9

Mizuki’s sight was still blocked by the Haze, but things seemed to be going alright. She knew the nature of a battle was change, however, and the tension of knowing the fight would probably turn was coiling in her body. The fog would have to go soon.

The pieces of hair that fell out of her braid whipped around as Karasu dragged up the Whirlwind, sending with it a chilly gust. The Gourgiest shrieked at the cold, and Zu didn’t blame her.

A few minutes passed then as the breeze died down, but Zu couldn’t tell what was happening. What was going on? Suddenly, there was a thump as something it the ground, and Karasu squawked. That was not normal. The Haze had to go.

Zu brought her pointer finger and thumb up to her mouth and whistled sharply, knowing the Honchkrow would understand what it meant. Because the ninja broke their normally-silent routine, it meant no more hiding. Karasu would need to clear the Haze, either by reversing the technique or using a Tailwind to blow it away. Once she could see better, they could plan more.

The Haze wasn’t holding up too well anyway. It was patchy here and there from the gusts Karasu blew around—that and it wasn’t meant to be permanent. The most they used it was for a swift retreat or for a sneak attack.

Karasu flicked her wings as the air responded once again, blowing away the ghastly tendrils, leaving the hall bare once again. With the smoke covering gone, Zu saw what the problem was.

Tiny green spores had attached to Karasu’s body. The seemingly harmless seeds had sprouted, containing windy thin vines that were sapping away the crow’s energy. They had to stop that.

“Karasu, you’re going to have to burn that Leech Seed off,” Zu said after a second of pause.

The quicker thing to do would be to call the Honchkrow back into her Pokeball, but Zu thought that would be insulting to the Dark-type. The bird could handle this, and it was rude to impose on her honor when not necessary. Even if it was dangerous. That was just how they were.

She understood what she was asking of her Pokemon, and it wasn’t something light. If Karasu hadn’t been such a strange battler or perhaps used to harsh ninja training, she might not do it at all. However, Zu didn’t ask anything of her Pokemon that she wouldn’t do herself. Good thing she had already done that.

Geosenge had been an interesting spot in their travels. The surrounding stone relics had drawn them to investigate, and unfortunately, a lot of tourists as well. Instead of staying in the hotel or even one of the log cabins others rented out, Zu and her crew had preferred to camp outside. They had been used to it by then.

That drew strangers’ attention, though, and coupled with her strange garb, people had swarmed Zu’s campfire and started harassing her with questions. Like Chainy, they had scoffed at the idea of ninjas still existing and demanded some sort of test. They didn’t think she was as tough as the persona seemed.

Little did they know that anything they came up with was child’s play compared to what her father thought of as “training.” As a result, one of the Trainers had asked his Pyroar to enlarge her fire, and then she had passed through it. So she couldn’t cheat, she had taken off everything but her undergarment slips.

Needless to say, they left her alone after that. Kaeruichi got the fire under control, and they went back to resting. Zu hadn’t winced as a lick of fire burned a slice on the underside of her arm. The mark was still there.

Now she was going to ask Karasu do the same. At least the bird could fly a lot faster than Zu.

“Purge,” she told her Pokemon. “But first, call up a Thunder Wave to block your retreat. Keep the fire curtain small,” she added, gesturing to her side

Hopefully, the Heat Wave would stay under control. She had been hesitant about it before, but she was willing to risk it now. Karasu’s energy would be continually sapped as the Gourgeist leeched it, and that would not do. They had been practicing, so it was possible for the bird to create just a smaller curtain of fire—a section of the wave. It would take less energy.

In theory it would also help slow the ghost’s pursuit, since going through a wall of fire wasn’t pleasant. Zu knew. It would only be up for a few seconds, but Karasu was fast and could get back over to their side of the field for a few moments. The fire should be able to singe the plants off her body, but in exchange, it would probably roast some feathers too. Some said that Pokemon were slightly resistant to their own skills, but that depended on a lot of things. Few found fire fun.

URPG Stats
    Hatches at 1495

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    42 (0 Banked)

BP #3

Ranger Chainy

~~~~~

Mizuki seemed worried about Karasu, and I could certainly understand why. The Honchkrow was hopping around weirdly and trying to scratch at the underside of its wings with its beak. The woman couldn't quite see through the thin strands of fog that still remained, so she put her fingers to her mouth and blew. A shrill whistle cut through the damp silence, appearing to echo throughout the entire Manor. Karasu stopped scratching and started flapping her wings erratically. The patches of haze began to eddy uncertainly, and slowly but surely fade patch at a time. Mizuki and I got our first solid look at the bird, and it was pretty obvious what had happened; the Gourgeist had managed to land a Leech Seed attack. Tiny little green spores with small leaves on them were dotted throughout the Honchkrow's feathers, and they were quite clearly causing the bird no small amount of distress.

Mizuki paused for a second, mulling something over. This was definitely the longest I'd seen her take to command a move yet, so something was definitely giving her pause. Still, when she gave her order, there was no trace of doubt in her voice. “Karasu, you’re going to have to burn that Leech Seed off. Purge. But first call up a Thunder Wave to block your retreat. Keep the fire curtain small."

The Dark-type Pokemon ruffled its feathers but didn't seem to have any problems with the commands it had been given. The feather ruffling became louder and through my Aura Reader I could see small sparks gathering around Karasu's wings. The crow started to shake her wings violently, and the sparks were sent flying from her wings like water droplets from a dog after a bath. Most of them landed on the wooden floor and winked out, but no small amount landed on the Gourgeist and wasted no time in crawling all around its curvaceous body. The Grass-type squealed and backed up, watching the Honchkrow closely.

Karasu had already started her next trick, though. She started to croak incessantly, and she used her wings to push air forwards. It didn't look like she was actually doing anything, but I knew better; she was preparing some kind of attack. Finally, with a loud crack, fire ignited, and a curtain of flames was hovering in the air over the floor. I was incredibly impressed with Karasu's control of the flames. Even a Fire-type would have trouble maintaining the fire in such a confined space. Mizuki must be a fantastic Trainer to coax this kind of concentration out of her Pokemon.

Then, something I did not expect happened. Karasu dived straight through the fire. She made a muffled croaking sound as she passed through but managed to remain in the air and flap her way back towards Mizuki. As she did so I saw that all of the Leech Seed spores were dying and falling onto the ground. It was really a rather ingenious way of removing the Leech Seeds; once they'd firmly attached to a host there was no getting them off, but Mizuki had acted fast enough that a quick burst of heat had fried them right off.

I looked over at the Gourgeist, and saw that it hadn't been wasting time either. Its pink hair was fanned out in the air, mostly facing the now-fading curtain of fire like a flower would face the sun. The hair was still pink-ish, but it was steadily turning golden. I recognised this as a Solarbeam, but decided to say nothing to Mizuki; the technique was still charging so the "ninja" would have plenty of time to respond appropriately. I was a Ranger after all, not a nanny.

~~~~~

Quirky Female Honchkrow: 75% (used Heat Wave, Thunder Wave)

??? Female Gourgeist: 41%, PAR, LS-3 (using Solarbeam)

~~~~~

Trainer Statistics:

CC since last Encounter: 21894 / 25000

Pokemon Statistics:

Quirky F Greninja 73%

Impish F Gengar 100%

Hasty M Drapion 100%

Item Statistics:

~~~~~

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,814 (0 Banked)

TP#10

The Leech Seed burned away as Karasu dove through the flames, cleansing her body of the dangerous plants before they could steal away too much of her strength. She let out a caw of pain as the fire touched her feathers, but it was relatively quiet. Her stealthy tendencies hadn’t left her.

Karasu landed close enough to touch, and Zu’s fingers lightly stroked the brim of her hat. “Well done,” she praised, knowing that her request hadn’t been an easy one. Relatively tame compared to anything she would’ve seen in her father’s house, but a stretch all the same.

Thankfully, the bird wasn’t too hurt, and she was still full of enough energy to continue fighting. They would have to wrap this up soon, however. It was starting to drag on too long.

The ghost’s pink ribbons flew out from its body as Karasu’s Heat Wave faded from sight. In its place shone a bright golden spot near the top of the candle’s head, tinting the rest of her body in that same glow. One of the most powerful Grass-type techniques was Solarbeam, an attack that usually took time to charge up. That was the price for power. Zu usually preferred the opposite—favoring quick strikes that weren’t as debilitating but allowing for more of them to occur.

There was a chance that the Heat Wave could’ve replicated some of the solar heat that the sun usually expelled. That might mean the Solarbeam absorbed some of that energy and would take less time to charge. But they still had a few seconds.

“Karasu, quickly, try to Quash that beam into the floor and strike with Wing Attack. This will be over soon.”

Quick Attack, a technique with blinding speed, wouldn’t do much against a Ghost-type like this. Most ghosts could phase through things, and that often included a foe’s attack. However, Karasu could still chain it with her other attacks, saving her time in reaching her opponent. It was important to strike before the Solarbeam was ready.

They hadn’t used Quash much. Usually it was just a delay, and like the gangster than the Honchkrow resembled, it usually involved a wing-slap. It wasn’t likely to halt the beam move completely, but with a downward strike, it might be possible to angle it into the floor instead of her Pokemon. After that, Karasu had to strike fast. They had played it safe until now, but it was time to deal some solid damage and attempt to make a capture.

URPG Stats
    Hatches at 1495