User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mistral Draws (but not really)

the shell out pokemon Staff Alumni Mistral's Avatar
    In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    20,892 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default Mistral Draws (but not really)

This here is my art gallery for URPG. I probably won't use it very often, but I'd rather keep everything in one thread so that I can just go look back at my progress in one thread rather than twenty gazillion separate threads.

This also serves as a table of contents. A green check mark () means the art has been curated & passed. A red check mark () means the art has been curated & didn't pass. Nothing means that the art hasn't been curated at all & needs to be.

Table of Contents
    #1 Oddish (Simple || 1 @ 40 || 2/20/13)
    #2 Oddish (Simple || 1 @ 40 || 2/20/13)
    #3 Seedot (Simple || 1 @ 40 || 4/28/13)
    #4 Inkay (Hard || 1 @ 55 || 3/3/14)
    #5 Numel (Medium || 1 @ 45 || 6/16/14)
    #6 Inkay (Hard || 1 @ 55 || 6/18/15)
    #7 Pichu (Simple || 1 @ 35 || 6/21/17)
    #8 Poliwag (Simple || 1 @ 35 || 6/21/17)
    #9 Azurill (Simple || 1 @ 35 || 8/27/17)
    Last edited by Mistral; 08-27-17 at 12:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    20,892 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#1 Oddish
    My first piece of art! Yay! So I decided I wanted two Oddish because Vileplume & Bellossom. I also decided I would draw one & make a sig banner thing for the other. This first one is the drawn one. Both images are in the spoiler for size. It was drawn using pencil & paper, and it was colored/edited in Photoshop CS6. The first spoilered image is the initial sketch as proof that I actually drew this, and the second one is the finished product. My signature is the cursive Felly with the date in both images.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    20,892 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#2 Oddish
    As stated above, I did want two Oddish. Long story short, this is the strictly Photoshopped version, specifically using Photoshop CS6. Oddish is using Stun Spore in this image. It probably sucks, but meh. Can't say I didn't try. Image isn't spoilered because it's only 350x100. The Oddish picture is the FR/LG Ken Sugimori art, just for the record.

-Prototype Babe- Design TeamStaff AlumniAce Member TheProtobabe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,656 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Curating Oddish #1

Spoiler:
    Overall

Overall, I really like this image! It’s sunny, simple, and bright. The lines are a bit dark, but I can see the effort you put into this.

Dynamics

For a newer artist to URPG, this is pretty good. I see you discovered the Clouds filter as well as the varying Brushes for use with grass and other textures. Pretty cool, huh? The lines on Oddish are a little bit thick and dark for a background that uses no lines whatsoever, though. They are fairly clear and neat, though it looks as though you struggled a bit with keeping them straight. The image really doesn’t have much of a story behind it… it’s just Oddish looking like his happy self. For a Simple, however, you really don’t need too much story. The background works just fine the way it is. Also, Oddish doesn’t really look like he’s standing on anything. The way the grass is, it looks like he’s floating in midair. Don’t worry, though, for all these things I’ve mentioned, I have advice below.

Colors/Shading

The colors for Oddish himself are a bit dark for a bright, sunshiney day as you’ve got depicted. The highlights are also strangely flat, instead of following the shape of Oddish’s rounded body and leaves. The gradient you’ve got going is pretty cool but it looks a bit strange with the semi-realistic background. However, I like the cheery brightness of this image and can see that you’ve put a lot of effort into it.

Pokemon Accuracy

For accuracy, you’ve almost got it perfect. The middle leaf should be longer and fold over, like in every Oddish artwork for Pokemon. His color is a bit too dark, as well, and he’s missing those weird lines under his eyes. These are nitpicks, though, and don’t really do much for your overall score.

Advice

1. For the lines. Use a thinner brush, and for the pieces that are for detail (i.e., leaf veins), use an even smaller brush. For nice, tapered lines, erase a smidge of line by following it with the eraser and tapering it as you go. If you want, I’ll totes show you how.
    2. For the ‘realism’ matching. Instead of just spamming the grass tool, try actually drawing some grass. Also, grass in the foreground should be bigger than grass in the background; try varying brush sizes to get this effect. Outlines are okay on background objects. Same for the clouds; try doodling more cartoony clouds to match your ‘mon. If you don’t do that, try to make Oddish more ‘realistic’ with smaller outlines.
    3. Shading. When shading, keep in mind the amount of light is in your scene and where it comes from. Oddish should be almost totally lightened by the sunshine here, with small shadows at his feet and under his body. Also, be sure to follow the shape of the object you are shading. A smaller light circle of color within Oddish’s body would match the shape and look more realistic, while following the curves of his leaves would make that look a bit better as well.
    4. Just one little thing; to make Oddish not look like he’s floating, put something in front of his feet. Have a few sprigs of grass come up over his foot in this case.

SCORE

You get a 40/100 for the amount of effort and background in this image. Check out my advice and hit me up if you want a little bit of art help. In the meantime, this Oddish is caught!

-Prototype Babe- Design TeamStaff AlumniAce Member TheProtobabe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,656 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Curating Oddish #2

Spoiler:
    Overall

Overall, this piece is, well okay. It’s colorful and cute, but there’s not too much that grabs attention here.

Dynamics

It’s a small banner-style graphic piece that looks fairly simplistic, using spots that are blurred a bit for the ‘stun spore’ move you’re going for. I see some leafy patterns in the background as well. There’s really not that much to comment on; I really wish you would have done some other things in this. As it is I only see three elements: The Oddish itself, which isn’t hand-drawn, the background of leaf patterns, and the foreground of Stun Spore spots. Honestly I think I’ve seen you do some better graphics than this, but this one is just kinda... meh. It needs some different stuff going on! Maybe some text? Lighting from a certain angle? I’m not sure.

Colors/Shading

Your color choice definitely helped Oddish pop out more, but other than that it looks fairly monochromatic. There isn’t really any shading besides what’s already drawn on Oddish in the first place, so the lack of contrast in color and real shading makes this a bit boring.

Pokemon Accuracy

Oddish isn’t drawn by you, so I can’t give any points for accuracy.

Advice

1. If you’re going for a banner or graphic arts style pieces, use more dynamic things in the graphics, like focus lines, text, sparkly lines, something cool and different.
    2. Ease up on the color brightness except to make certain things ‘pop’, and get some contrast in there. Some purples or other colors would have looked great with this, but instead you went with a fairly monochromatic color palette. Play with the lights, shading, and colors a bit more.
    3. Hand drawn art always makes more points, but for a Simple ‘mon, you could probably fix this up with the advice I’ve given you to make it look a bit better.

SCORE

25/100, because it’s pretty basic and doesn’t really have that ‘oomph’ that bumps the score from an Easy Pokemon to a Simple one. Sorry, this time Oddish is not caught.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    20,892 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#3 Seedot
    This piece, titled Acorn Falling, features a Seedot falling from a tree. The background was painted using watercolors, and the rest of it was colored in with marker or Sharpie. My signature with the date is on the tree branches, but you can't really see it because the metallic in the metallic marker wasn't really working.

Spoiler:

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    0 (0 Banked)

Well then, sorry for the wait.
    Seedot - Simple
    Spoiler:
    Overall
    Overall this has a good concept and some good overall colouring, but could use a bit of sprucing up.

Dynamics
    I like that you've included a bit more than just a Seedot against the sky with grass. The way you've done your grass is very nice as well. Although these are good, your tree could use some lessons. Trees, when you look at them, branch out towards the sky in search of sunlight, this would help your tree look a little nicer. As well, trees don't stay one trunk all the way up and usually become larger at the top. I'd suggest looking at some tutorials on Youtube or even just googling "how to draw trees" could give you some suggestions on how you could improve your tree. Although not hugely detailed, this piece serves its purpose really.

Colours/ Shading
    I really like how you've used watercolour paints on the background and have used many layers of green grass to create a varied look. This really adds to the piece and makes it more appealing to look at.There really isn't any shading, which would have made this a much nicer piece. If you have troubles with shading you can find many resources for tutorials and advice on how to shade properly through Youtube and Google.

Pok?mon Accuracy
    Seedot looks fairly accurate in its body. although I know you are limited to the colours of the markers, Seedot does look a little bit too
    Spoiler:
    and not enough tan(ish) colour. Other than that it's fine

Overall
    I like the premise and the way that you've combined mediums to create a nice piece, although it could use some work. I'm giving you a 40 on this, so enjoy your little living acorn!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    20,892 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#4 Inkay
    It's been a while since I've last drawn something for URPG, mostly because I know I can't draw, & partially because I haven't had the time. I thought I'd give Inkay a stab since I kinda want to have owned Malamar for Geosenge (especially since I've already EM'd it, and I don't want to have all the money I've put into it go to waste), and also because it sounded easy enough. What sounds easy isn't always necessarily easy though. ;3 It doesn't hurt to try though, and who knows? Maybe by some strike of luck, I'll pass! (That's wishful thinking right there. xD) This piece is called Inkay Underwater, and it's basically just as its described: an Inkay underwater. The Inkay was drawn by me, and I traced it using a black Sharpie. Acrylic & watercolor paints were used for the color. Also, it's a shiny Inkay because I didn't want to bombard you all with too much blue. xDD (Shiny Inkay are yellow, fun fact.) Happy curating to the lucky (or unlucky?) curator that gets this piece!

Spoiler:

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,814 (0 Banked)

Claiming the Inkay piece. Curation up soon.

URPG Stats
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator | Judge
    Park Characters | AH: Ixin - Damian | Legend Tracker
    AIM/Discord: WinterVines
    Hatches at 1495

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,814 (0 Banked)

@Felly;

Inkay Underwater Curation.

Technique

Switching up my normal layout since I want to talk about this first. I think this piece is really cool. Watercolor was a perfect fit for a picture like this, since the varying tones create a wobbly effect that mimics the way water functions. The slight blur that the overcoat of watercolor gives the piece works very well. I especially like the way it deformed some of the sharpie lines, since nothing is really clear underwater. My old art teacher used to yell at me for making shadows in water that were too crisp.

That being said, other than some spots where the paint was thicker, there doesn’t look to be too many intentional shadows. I know watercolor is really hard to work with, but a little bit of extra shading on the Pokemon could help a little bit. I’m talking particularly on its lower half. To give the Pokemon a more rounded look, the tentacles that are underneath the bigger part of the squid should be darker. Your form looks a lot like the official art, so use that as a guide if you’d like to just do some simple shadows.

The hat too could maybe use a little bit of shadow, depending where your light is coming from and how deep the water is. There are a few bright spots near the very top of the hat and on the flaps of the hat (which makes it seem like the water isn’t so deep), so it seems like your light source is directly above. In that case, because the hat looks curved, it could be darker nearer to where it meets Inkay’s face. Some very light gray could probably be applied over those parts, especially after this portion is already dry (so it doesn’t all just blend together into one big mess of ick).

On the whole, though, it looks pretty good. The watercolor did a lot of the work for you. It’s just adding finishing touches after that.

Form

The form looks pretty standard according to the official art, which is sort of unfortunate as the ranks climb higher, but you did decide to make it shiny (and therefore not just more blue), which is cool too, since that makes it stand out and contrast against the cooler shades of the background.

The Pokemon itself looks pretty close to the source, although it’s a little more elongated. I see you also added black clines around the pink and yellow circles in the hat, which is something new. I don’t really think that part was necessary, as it sort of detracts from the main Pokemon outline, especially because the outline around the bottom of the hat is really faded in comparison. The flap on the left also looks a little weird since there’s no line cutting across the side of the hat to show viewers that there’s a bend there where the flap juts out, but that’s a minor thing.

The nose could also maybe be placed higher between the eyes, but on the whole, this is fairly solid.

Background

As I said before, the watercolor really made the background look realistic which is really cool. It is sort of blank though. While this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, since empty space can be used very effectively, I don’t really get the sense of a story or metaphorical message from this piece (mostly because of the standard official art pose). Maybe some distant shapes in the background could be cool? Like we see in other images where there are shadowed outlines of danger (Barracuda from Finding Nemo maybe? Would that be a Sharpedo here?) or maybe if you wanted to portray a lonliness sort of message, Inkay’s friends could be off together in the distance (but then the expression you have right now wouldn’t quite fit). There could be a lot of other things under the water too, like a sunken ship! Or something. That’s sort of up to you depending on what story you want to tell, and I believe all art tells some sort of story if the artist lets it.

The bubbles sort of fill up the space, but they look a little odd. I think it’s because they’re mostly solid and stick out, while real bubbles have sort of a translucent look to them (or rainbow sometimes). Maybe if these were faded a little (since the watercolor didn’t do much to distort them—the bubbles seem to be made of acrylic like the white) by adding a little white, or seeing what extra watercolor would do to them applied when it’s dry, would make them blend in a little better.

I really like that the seaweed at the bottom is varied a little in both shape (with those differing heights) and color (because of the way the watercolors faded some parts). That’s a pretty nice thing to see, especially for Hard rank, where environments become more important. They are a little sparse though. I think more of the weeds could’ve been added, maybe in different tones and colors even. I remember blending colors was so hard in this medium when we had to recreate newspaper comics in art class, but I think some yellow/white/black blended in with green would provide some different colors to work with, making it a web of weeds and perhaps more realistic. Extra water would also thin out the color and make them more clear, which would also be another choice, among others.

Result

This was a hard choice to make. I really like the image, and I think if it was Medium ranked, I would’ve passed it. However, I’m going to score it 48/55, meaning Inkay is not quite caught yet. It is really close, though, so I think this is easily fixable.

I think shadows on the Pokemon and adding a little to the background (bubbles/maybe something else in the environment to make a story/weeds) will make this pass. Please edit it if you can (provided you still have access/didn’t throw it out), since I want to see what it will look like! Then hit me up for a re-curation.

URPG Stats
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator | Judge
    Park Characters | AH: Ixin - Damian | Legend Tracker
    AIM/Discord: WinterVines
    Hatches at 1495

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast