User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mistral Draws (but not really)

pink ball Administrator Mistral's Avatar
    In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    22,393 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#5 Numel
    I have the fullest intentions of redoing the Inkay piece; I have the Pokemon drawn, I just need to paint it. :3 But I digress. This piece is about Numel. Mostly drew this one because A) I was in a drawing mood, which doesn't happen very often, and B) Ash really wants a Numel, and if I can get some free EMs from doing an art deal, then so be it. and also i'm helping someone out, so that's cool too! Hopefully it's good enough to pass! :3 if i can almost pass hard, i can totally pass medium, right?!?!

Spoiler:

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    71 (182 Banked)

@Felly

Numel

Spoiler:

Okay, I haven't done this in FOREVER, so forgive me Felly if I'm a bit rough. BEGIN!

Form/Detail
    You have two main forms here in the image, that of the spiky triangular rock outcrops, and the rounded smooth pokemon Numel. The two work nicely as a point of contrast, where the sharp forms can help distinguish the background from the pokemon itself. I will say that just having these two features seems a bit plain, it doesn’t offer a good variety to make the scene lifelike.

Color and Shading
    Numel’s colors set it nicely apart from the more drab rock tones, yet still compliment them enough to be fitting,. The sky is very sharp contrast in comparison, yet you didn’t do too bright a blue to make it wholly unrealistic or take the focus off the pokemon. The green of the pokemon is actually the most striking feature I would say. THe only downside is an overall lack of any particular shading. With such a clear blue sky it would be nice to see where the sun’s light is hitting the hardest, which spots could be shiny, sharp, or of a rubber or plastic texture. Shading is definitely

Texture
    The main texture I see here is the background stones, have\ing a two tone grainy appearance that seems fairly linear and wavy. Apart from that, everything is fairly monotone and ‘smooth’ (obviously limited by the chosen medium.) Would love to see more variation within the stone, and maybe different material specularities on the different objects. Is Numel hairy, rubbery, plasticy? The color scheme doesn’t tell us that, and its something that can add a lot of detail with just a little highlighting or detailed textures in the right places.

Pokemon Anatomy
    Overall, you can first tell it's obviously supposed to be a Numel. It has the correct colors and forms. It did take me a minute to discern what was going on with the legs, as it looks like there are only three. I eventually figured it was the perspective of the pokemon, which doesn't seem to match the background environment as well as it possibly could. The nose seems a bit flat, but that could be another perspective deal, Ill leave that up to the viewer. Only other critique I have here would be the blowhole. If it was a hole on a back curved like that, the hole wouldn’t appear as a black spot due to the perspective. it would look more like there was a cutout on Numel’s back, and we might see the far lip a bit as well as the mountains.

Environment/Perspective
    The environment is very fitting for Numel’s home, we have the nice rocky/mountainous pass. The one major complaint I would have with the environment (or perspecve depending on your intents here) is how it looks like Numel is floating in the air, he doesn’t have much to stand on. The forms you used for the background made it look like Numel was placed in front of a backdrop, or is falling. Something you could do to improve on the rocks is blend the light and dark tones together so that it looks like the rock as aged over time, to where the tops are bleached from the sun slowly fading to their natural rusty tone.

Creativity/Effort
    There was some amount of effort, but there also a decent amount I could see improvement in. You did try for a more unique pose with numel, such is always a good thing when doing poke-arts.

Improvements
    Shading & texturing are the two biggest things, and they are actually tied to the same thing: The environmental perspective of the user. We are looking at Numel head on, and I am going to assume based on the scene the sun would be behind us. So theres plenty of places for shadows, especially if there was a more distinct ground for Numel to be standing on.

Score
    30/100

It would about pass for a simple, but theres enough needing improvement that I can’t quite give it to you. Sorry Felly.
    Last edited by Axion; 09-25-14 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    22,393 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#6 Inkay
    I redid the Inkay piece, finally. I think the first version looks a helluva lot better than the second, but we'll see. I messed up a fair bit and painted outside the lines a bit and whatnot. Also, fun fact, the first version has a pink and yellow shiny Inkay, but it's supposed to be purple and yellow. I didn't have pink watercolor, so I was grateful for that. :0 Anyways, it's totally up to the curator if this monstrosity passes. I believe @WinterVines; said she'd curate this since she did curate the original and this is technically a "recuration" (or whatever the appropriate term is), so I'm gonna go ahead and tag her and if she doesn't want it, then some other poor soul can snatch this up. I considered fixing the blemishes in Photoshop, but it would've made it look worse than it actually was, so better to just have this awful version. The worst part about watercolor is that you can't really erase mistakes. ;(

Spoiler:

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,814 (0 Banked)

@Felly;

It's nice to see you came back to this! I know you were planning on it for a long time.

I like the new water colors. They're much more vivid here than the last set. In a few places, it did bleed over sort of awkwardly and others became... blocky? Choppy? Something, which looks a little strange. In some places, though, this bleeding effect works very well, like in the seaweed, since it creates that blur effect from the water. The form also looks much more legit, being not as long. The facial features are much more natural, too. And the correct shiny color helps!

I would have liked to see a little more in the background still. The new watercolor did the water texture even better than the first, however, which makes it look really cool. The bubbles I still don't really like, if only because the outline is so dark. Seeing the outline so clearly on the other stuff, with these new watercolors, also looks slightly odd. Shadows are hard to tell from the blur effect, but that's okay.

This one was a tough call for me still, but I can definitely see improvement from the first. I think I'm going to score it 55/55 this time! Which means Inkay is captured of course!

URPG Stats
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator | Judge
    Park Characters | AH: Ixin - Damian | Legend Tracker
    AIM/Discord: WinterVines
    Hatches at 1495

5. Likes Mistral liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    22,393 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#7 - Grand Opening!
    Pichu celebrates the grand opening of the Lilycove Shopping Mall! I was originally going to submit this for cash, but after I realized that I could attempt to catch a Pichu and evolve it into an Alolan Raichu, I decided to submit it for capture instead. (When I originally decided to draw images of Pokemon I already own, I didn't know about Alola forms because that's how long this has been sitting on my to do list. xD) Attempting to catch a Pichu here.

Spoiler:

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    22,393 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#8 - Trapped on an Island
    Poor Poliwag's stuck on an island! (Even though it could totally just swim to somewhere else. xD) I was originally going to submit this for cash until I realized I could catch a Poliwag because I don't have a Poliwrath and that's a thing. (Also because at the time I put this on my to do list, I wasn't gonna catch anymore Pokemon but now I just wanna catch more Pokemon.) Attempting to catch a Poliwag here.

Spoiler:

Steel Soul Design TeamURPG Staff K'sariya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,800 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    #7 - Grand Opening!
    Pichu celebrates the grand opening of the Lilycove Shopping Mall! I was originally going to submit this for cash, but after I realized that I could attempt to catch a Pichu and evolve it into an Alolan Raichu, I decided to submit it for capture instead. (When I originally decided to draw images of Pokemon I already own, I didn't know about Alola forms because that's how long this has been sitting on my to do list. xD) Attempting to catch a Pichu here.

Spoiler:
    Claimed!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,830 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    #8 - Trapped on an Island
    Poor Poliwag's stuck on an island! (Even though it could totally just swim to somewhere else. xD) I was originally going to submit this for cash until I realized I could catch a Poliwag because I don't have a Poliwrath and that's a thing. (Also because at the time I put this on my to do list, I wasn't gonna catch anymore Pokemon but now I just wanna catch more Pokemon.) Attempting to catch a Poliwag here.

Spoiler:
    Here I come, plowing through the backlog! You're up next and I'm claiming!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,830 (0 Banked)

Alright @Mistral, you’ve been waiting awhile, so without further ado, here goes!

Form
    You’ve done a good job with Poliwag itself! Its colors are all accurate, and I can tell you’ve paid attention to detail. Its intestines - I mean, the cute spiral pattern on its belly - don’t have to face any particular direction according to canon, but I think it’s nice that you’ve followed the direction that most of the official art indicates, as it indicates that you took some care with this. I also appreciate the gradient you’ve added to Poliwag’s tail. Official art seems divided on whether that gradient exists, but it’s very pronounced in the anime art. Overall, I like the effect the gradient creates; it adds another shade of blue, and the variety is welcome here.

However, there are some problems with Poliwag’s shape. Its features are all there, but they’re also rather elongated. Canonically, Poliwag is mostly spherical with only a slight oval shape, where yours has a longer, thinner body. The feet on yours are also a bit straight and flat; adding the same curve that exists in Poliwag’s art would really soften it up. Altogether, you’ve created a very adorable and recognizable Poliwag; you just need to tweak your proportions a bit.

Technique
    Unless my eyes severely deceive me, this was done all in colored pencil. You’ve employed the medium to good effect; you’ve achieved good coverage and done well in keeping your strokes consistent directionally within regions (all of your sky strokes are horizontal, all of your ocean strokes are diagonal, etc). I like the way you’ve shaped your waves; it’s rather cartoony, but that honestly fits well with the rest of the piece.

One thing you definitely could have benefited from, though, is shading. Shading is a tricky beast. However, it’s the sort of beast you should grab by the horns, because it’s a great way to add volume! Right now, there’s no shading, and it gives things a sort of flat cast. Adding even just a little bit of shading would make everything stand out a lot better.

I noticed that the line that forms the top of the island is visible through your tree trunk. It looks like you laid down the brown colored pencil as thickly as you could there to cover it up, but it still shows through. Since this mistake isn’t repeated elsewhere, it’s probably just a fluke, but I still feel like I should advise you to concentrate on drawing things in lightly at first brush to avoid this in the future.

Background
    You’ve got a Classic One-Palm-Tree Island(™) here, one that you’ve drawn fairly well. As I mentioned, I enjoyed the waves, and I appreciate that you went out of your way to include clouds and to include differently-colored leaves on your palm tree. Furthermore, you did a really good job with color balancing. The strong yellow of the sand is balanced by the strong yellow of the sun; the sky is a slightly green-tinted blue that fits well with the green palm leaves and the ocean, and Poliwag’s bold, heavily-colored body stands out well as the focal point. That said, I feel like you could have handled the clouds a bit more elegantly. Most of the time, you won’t find a couple of small gray clouds just drifting across the sky - gray clouds tend to come in big bunches. Also, the dark gray is rather drab, which is confusing given the cheerful vibe of the rest of the piece. If you had left those spaces uncolored, drawn outlines around the clouds, or even added a little bit of shading to white clouds, these clouds would have been much more effective. Overall, your vibrant colors make for a happy and energetic piece, but the grim gray clouds compete for the viewer’s attention and add a somber mood.

Since it’s important to your piece, I want to talk about the tree for a moment. The yellow-green background leaves have an excellent pattern to them, but the foreground leaves are much more chaotic. The variance in angles and size isn’t inherently bad, but it clashes with the other leaves. The top and bottom of the trunk also have sharp horizontal lines cutting them off; this looks somewhat inorganic, and clashes with the curvy waves, round Poliwag, and dome-shaped island. Curving the bottom of the trunk and allowing some leaves to cover the top will help really sell your flora.

Conclusion
    Okay, I’ve said my bit, so here’s my verdict: 35/35, Poliwag captured. This piece does have some issues with shading and the tree, but you’ve created a nice piece that demonstrates your understanding of your chosen medium and a good effort in your chosen scene, which in my opinion is fine for Simple rank. I can’t see your older art, some of which has passed Hard rank, so I can’t give you completely comprehensive advice. However, based on this piece, I would recommend that you focus on planning your shapes, and work on incorporating shading. Go forth and work on these things, and enjoy your tadpole!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    22,393 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#9 - Azurill in Zentangles
    Lesson learned here: use Sharpies and not washable markers because the markers were too thick. A thin tipped Sharpie, like I originally planned for, would've been so much better. Oh well, it's worth a shot to try and catch this little guy. Worst case scenario, I just have to try again. I had to take a picture of this one since my scanner wasn't working tonight.

Spoiler:

12. Likes WinterVines, Mako liked this post