User Tag List

Thread: Is It Too Early for Christmas Art Yet Or... [CASH]

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,094 (25 Banked)

Default Is It Too Early for Christmas Art Yet Or... [CASH]

Is It Too Early for Christmas Art Yet Or...

-----

MEDIUM
    Pikachu

-----

Santa looks a little different than I remember...

-----

Cash submission!
    [concise review pls]
    -----
    Last edited by Fenris; 12-03-18 at 07:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,735 (8,967 Banked)

I think this is next?

Img Made by Morru/Mako

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,735 (8,967 Banked)

Hello, me again!

What Worked...
    [x]Emotion
    Cutte christmas scene!

[x]Overall, neat and tidy, and the figure is very nicely drawn (apart from the eyes, which are discussed a little later).

[x]Great rendering of its scarf!
    It's light, fluffy, and I can see the airiness in its design. You included enough detail to suggest texture, while also managing to keep it in line with the overall style!

What could be worked on...

[x]Pikachu's Eyes: Anime eyes are weird. They're usually half the size of your head of often invert the natural color scheme animals would have... all for a cooler effect? Pikachu is no exception. The dark gray clashes with the black pupil which makes it look...erm... unflattering. I understand that you're going for realism, but white pupils would make a whole lot more sense, even if real pupils don't actually look like that!

[x]Mismatching of Texture/Sloppy Coat
    Despite the successes of the fluffy scarf, the coat is mottled and confused on how to do lighting. Since santa claus outfits are usually made with felt, with a rough, fuzzy, texture, they tend to disperse light. Harsh highlights suggest shiny and smooth, so the end result is it looking like it is wearing a silk, or really gives the impression of a cardboard cut out rather than a three dimensional object. You really could have pushed the shading here. This is where you could have used the copics a lot better, I think and you could have layered the same red to create a deeper color.

[x]Confusing Background Scale
    Pikachu is like 1ft to 2ft tall ,and your pika suggests that it would be enormous if we were using the present behind him as a ruler. Even more so if that christmas tree was behind him. It doesn't look like an oranment to me as you have rendered its base somewhat in shadow, so it's either a round ornament that's somehow on the floor, or you need to reconsider drawing the tree. A ring and a string, with a connecting piece would have done wonders to define it as a christmas ornament.

[x]Weakish Shading
    I touched upon this a little earlier and I think I would like to encourage you to focus on making your cast shadows also more robust, as they really do help set an object in space. Right now from the coat to the cast shadows, I feel like they want to be pushed. Dark colors, like shadow, I know, command attention and I sense some hesitation. Don't be hesitant to add more darker colors in addition to lighter; it won't 'darken' the cheerful mood. It will serve to emphsize what's bright and important! Having everything be so light means to the viewer that "everything is important" which isn't true since pikachu sits so prominently in the center.

Since you made some attempts at shading and background with your usually good attention to detail (apart from the things I've mentioned), this passes as a low medium. It just barely hits all the requirements for the rank, and honestly I wanted to give this a high simple at first. Regardless, here is your 10k.

If, however, you want to make this into a hard work, definitely go back into the figure, see what you can do with his outfit, and try to fit him somewhere that isn't a blank background (so I can tell if the present is an actual present or if the tree is an ornament). Since this is christmas themed, you already have many fun possiblities to place it in. However, if you're satisfied with it currently, feel free to claim your 10k.

Img Made by Morru/Mako

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,094 (25 Banked)

Claiming 10k! Thank you!