PokeBucks
    1,094 (25 Banked)

Default A Little Giggle Fit [CAPTURE]

A little Giggle Fit

-----

SIMPLE
    Poochyena

-----

Call kinship with the hyena, and all hyenas are your friend.

DECEMBER PROMPT
    Dark-type Pokemon
    -----

Attempting to catch a poochyena!

-----

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,163 (0 Banked)

POOCHYENA YES PLS, AM CLAIM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,163 (0 Banked)

Things that are marvelous!

• This is a really sweet looking Poochyena! It’s a cute little critter, with a lot of personality in its posture and facial expression. Contrary to the title, this poor Pokemon looks kinda worried - its ears are pinned back, its brow is creased, it’s frowning, its tail is down, and the raising of its paws looks very timid. This isn’t a bad thing, though; everything expressive in Poochyena really comes together into a cohesive whole.
    • Speaking of Poochyena’s dashing good looks, this is a really nice blend of realistic hyena anatomy and Poochyena’s canon design! Poochy sadly fell into the trap of “hyenas == dogs, right???” at GameFreak’s hands, but the sloping muzzle and rounded ears of this Poochyena really make it look like an honest-to-goodness Hyena. This kind of change isn’t necessary, by any means, but the way you’ve done it looks excellent and adds a personal touch.
    • The fur texture you’ve drawn, particularly on Poochyena’s haunches and tail, is really nice - it’s good and fluffy while still looking coarse due to all the jagged points on the fur. Pretty much everything in your outlines rocks, great job!

Things to learn from!

• The coloring on this piece is, to be blunt, messy. I see a lot of stray gray, especially around the legs, unintentional white space, and lots of spots where marker strokes intersect in a way that’s not pleasing to the eye. I know it’s hard to keep marker under control, but I also know you can do better - I’ve seen you do it! It’s okay if you have to slow down sometimes to get the marker to comply with your wishes.
    • I really, really like the flecks of white you add in your art… where they make sense. There’s a sparkle in Poochyena’s shadow and, as I mentioned, lots of unintended blank space. These give the impression that something is lighter in value in these places, but nothing should be lighter in value there. When you’re working with white, make sure to do so consciously. Otherwise you’ll have areas that are confusing or distracting to see.
    • Not a criticism so much as a recommendation - I strongly suggest trying out a variety of line weights! If you’ve never heard the term before, the TL;DR is that you use thicker outlines to emphasize things that are darker, more important, or in the foreground, and thinner outlines to denote things that are lighter, less important, or farther away. This awesome, self-demonstrating tutorial is really helpful to visualize what I mean. Right now, Poochyena doesn’t look like it has much depth to it. Varying the weights of your already-lovely lineart would really help it pop and make your subjects come even more alive.

I put this piece at a Simple rank with a really well-rendered but messy Pokemon in (mostly) blank space, meaning that Poochyena is captured! Keep on drawing Pokemon with personality, make sure that you use your markers to your fullest abilities, and enjoy your mini-hyena!

EDIT: Also I'm a dingus and forgot about themes and also managed to miss your mention of the theme. This piece certainly showcases a Dark-type Pokemon, which means you've also earned $2,000! I thank you for your festivity.
    Last edited by VeloJello; 12-06-18 at 08:29 AM.