User Tag List

Thread: The Lair of Larvesta

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,735 (8,967 Banked)

Default The Lair of Larvesta

Finally, after starting this drawing in like march or sth I can finally call this badboi done. I've posted numerous WIPs on Discord and some sketches of this drawing in mt sketch book. I think the fires and the banners are derpy but too lazy to spend another three hours fixing them.

My goal is to catch Larvesta, a demanding pokemon. I would prefer an abridged curation.

Img Made by Morru/Mako

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    17,784 (0 Banked)

I clam this in the name of Goldtopia
    Abras are so cute!
    Joined URPG 1/28/2017!
    Competitive Showdown player
    TEAM A.C.T. ALL THE WAY

3. Likes juliorain liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    17,784 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    I clam this in the name of Goldtopia
    This is a nice Volcarona, but can I recommend a different composition
    something like
    :fire: :morrucombat: :fire:

memes aside lets take a look at this big bug doh

Things you did well:
    -Overall anatomy is pretty spot on, with only a few minor gripes in the below section. I see this visibly as a Volcarona and I like the way you've presented it, as well as the colors you chose. The purple for the banners especially was a really good choice, complementing the warm colors nicely.

-You have an amazing sense of composition and creating an atmosphere that I'm really jealous of; there's a lot of emotion that you portray well with the lighting and the small details all around Volcarona. Keep it up!

-for the most part (again, few minor gripes below) you have the linear perspective down pat, as well as the overall shading, which again adds to the scenebuilding I've noticed and loved in the past pieces I've perused from you.

-I really like the emotion of the piece overall as well. Volcarona feels alive, and the fire around it really lends to the emotion I think you were going for, so that was really well done.

Things you didn't do as well:
    -I understand that you like ghosts, but Cofagrigus's addition was VERY visually distracting since it's right next to Volcarona's head. It ended up detracting from the piece rather than being a cool small sideshow like I think you intended it to be. This is also present to a lesser extent with the Larvesta or shed skin or whatever it is on the ground to Volcarona's left; just visually distracting with no real purpose (at least at the moment! I'd love to see if you can shift it around or rework it so it has a clear purpose being present)

-I really wanted to see more detail on the small anatomy things you missed; the abdomen and horn segments being absent were especially noticeable as well as not including the natural gradient on the wings. Another thing is the small indent on Volcarona's head; it should be a full, round dome, and it seems almost like it has a divot in the middle in your piece. Most importantly though was the edges of the wings (and other objects) not being as clean and defined as a Volcarona's should be, which ended up making them seem diminished, as well as adding to the below critique of messiness.

-The Art Encyclopedia notes: "Note that messy unfinished/rushed is different from a purposeful, stylistic messy." While I do think some of the stylistic messiness here is appealing, overall the piece lacks unity from the unfinished messiness we see here, as well as the (probably) unintended messiness. For example, look around Volcarona's right wings below:
    Spoiler:

All of the above is not only visually distracting, but breaks the depth and realism the piece was going for (and working toward really well imo).

-on the topic of messiness, there're a few other places I noticed some extraneous lines/sloppy shading that I want to point out:
    Spoiler:

I really think these should be cleaned up and made more uniform to wrap the piece together and give it that true unity we all desire.

-I know you mentioned this in the post, but the lamps and banners are indeed derpy. The lamp on our left is slanted and leaning, unlike the other one which I personally like much better (being uniform and better shaded). There's another kind of jarring mistroke on the left banner, and then the right banner is full-on misshapen, and doesn't really match the perspective or form we're looking at its altar at. This is especially noticeable since in every other way you have the perspective done correctly, with that awesome vanishing point behind Volcarona.

With all that said, I think this ranks at a high Hard; you have the base here, but the messiness is what hurt you the absolute most. I really want to see more clear-cut and neat lines, as well as incorporating the rest of the advice here, and I hope when you edit you nab that Volcarona!
    Last edited by Gold; 11-30-18 at 03:26 PM.
    Abras are so cute!
    Joined URPG 1/28/2017!
    Competitive Showdown player
    TEAM A.C.T. ALL THE WAY