PokeBucks
    1,844 (0 Banked)

Default I Put A Spell On You

Target: Ralts
    Difficulty: Hard -> Medium
    Medium: Copic Markers

Grade request: Concise

Using this Art Pass.
    Last edited by Elrond; 11-08-18 at 10:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,798 (8,967 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post

Target: Ralts
    Difficulty: Hard -> Medium
    Medium: Copic Markers

Grade request: Concise

Using this Art Pass.
    Claim claim claim... to the tune of Chain chain chain...............

Img Made by Morru/Mako

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,798 (8,967 Banked)

The Successful

[x] Daring Medium Choice: Copic markers are top of the line illustration markers! Great choice! Markers are tough because you can't layer with ink like you can with dry media. You have to layer light to dark, rather than the reverse with paint, etc. Markers tend to punish the artist more on mistakes than colored pencils as you can theoretically layer enough for it to go away, with markers you'll get an ugly brown soup if you're not careful, so extra care needs to be taken before drawing with them.

[x] The Anatomy of the Pokemon barring Delphox's face, you give me a scene of fun and whimsy it was (continuing your pun) quite charming. Gothitelle and Gardevoir have their own expressions which tell me that they are enjoying themselves as best friends. Their anatomy is well considered. Honestly, they are good choices for drawing as they are very human-like which gives us a lot creative freedom to incorporate more human scenes.

[x] Colors Reflect their Personalities Even if I have gripe's about delphox, I like their bright colorations, as it fits them. They each seem to radiate life as the colors are bright and cheerful.

Areas for Improvement

[x] Limited Physical Depth: Aside from the background, which is addressed in the following bullet, I think you struggled somewhat with the medium. I can tell that you have made some shading attempts in Gothitelle's pancake hair bows, Gardevoir's skull, and Delphox's ear fur, the rest remains almost devoid of shadow. You clearly can capture the form, apart from Delphox's face, but I challenge you to consider to push yourself more in establishing a firm light source. I do seem to rail on outlines, but in this work, I believe it helps preserve some of the three-dimensionality of the figures rather than flatten them. I think for a cartoon, outlines are fine. It is clear to me from this drawing that you've managed to figure out how to layer the markers in a way to suggest shadow and kept them from bleeding. I encourage you to explore further with copics and used their colorless blenders as those markers and colors need not be kept in certain chunks and blocks. Feel free to layer (and not too much) with Copics! Have an extra piece of paper on hand if a marker nib gets another color ink on it to wipe it off and don't be shy!

[x] Abstract Background: The background is simple, and almost so simple it leaves me confused what particularly is their context or light source. It looks more like a photo of a trio of friends posing at a dark party. Not sure if that's the effect you're going for, but giving them a location instead of writing the pun will make it so that I get the titular pun without you having to write it. The dark blue background darkens the entire scene, giving an imposing presence, putting almost too much focus on your subjects. The scene itself is cohesive, but the color in the text tries, unsuccessfully, to bring back the light that was lost in the background. While it is easier to handle a near-blank background, it can detract from a work if it is done too dark.

[x] Delphox's Face Of the three psy pokes I think delphox was flattened the most and its facial features are more cartoonish and feel squished than the other two. If you look at actual images of dephox her snout is round like a cone and her eyes are bigger. The lack of detail on Delphox only exaggerates the flatness made from your outlines.

Conclusion:::::

Your drawing, though simple, has a lot of a whimsy, they're girls, they're psychics which is Pokemon Magic type (and would be even more killer if you included Delphox's Wand!) conveys the pun that you intended. I think this is a fun work definitely within the parameters of a medium drawing! Have your Ralts as I take that Art Pass off ya. :P

Img Made by Morru/Mako