User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ori's Captures

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,065 (0 Banked)

I remember being blown away when you submitted this as your first artwork (or at least, the first work of yours that I saw). It’s a lovely, serene nature picture and I’m happy to be curating it.

Things that are marvelous!

• You show real skill as a digital painter here. There’s that thick, soft feel of a painting without a distracting amount of obvious brushstrokes. Your technique works well on both organic and inorganic matter, with bigger, stronger blocks of color making the rocks look tough, long, soft strokes showing blades of grass, and thick strokes creating depth in your Pokemon (and Trainer).
    • The lighting in this piece is excellent. Your light source is clearly a bright sun with the slightest yellow tint to its white light, hanging pretty much directly above the scene. The light color and source are both consistent throughout the piece.
    • Also great are the colors. While there’s a lot of colors present here, the prevalent green and blue create a calm and relaxed mood. Most of the shading on the characters shares this cool color scheme, which is really great for both palette unity and atmosphere.
    • I detect exactly zero anatomy issues, which is great attention to detail. Each Pokemon’s appearance here is kept consistent to canon art, and (aside from the obviously deliberate anime-style face) your human character’s anatomy is right-on.
    • Subtly but importantly, the pond shows ripples, reflections, and translucency. The human, Bayleef, and Zweilous all have ripples around their feet and their feet are faintly visible beneath the waves.

Things to learn from!

• The pile of belongings beside the Trainer is confusing; I can’t tell what it’s supposed to be (my guess is the Trainer’s shed coat and miscellaneous belongings, but it’s hard to tell what’s actually meant). If they are clothes, they can simply be laid out flat for the viewer to “read” easily; if not, it’s necessary to exercise some precision or remove the pile altogether for visual clarity.
    • The cool green and blue color scheme established in the rest of the piece abruptly turns yellow close to the viewer where Ralts stands. If it were a bit subtler, this would be great for showing atmosphere, but given that most of the other greens are far cooler, it’s a bit abrupt.
    • While you’ve made good effort with the water, it looks somewhat matte. Because it’s under trees and bright light, patches of reflective green and sharp highlights would reinforce the wavy, liquid nature of the pond. Even a pond beneath a clear blue sky will show plenty of green if it’s in a natural environment, which is especially true if the pond is surrounded by green trees like yours.
    • Your contrast is mostly good, but it gets lost in a few places. Bayleef suffers from this a lot; its values are similar to the values of the background around it. Simply giving some more dark blues to the background behind Bayleef, or enhancing the shadows on Bayleef itself, would fix this.

Verdict.
    This piece checks off every single box on the Complex rank list with good anatomy, a solid background, great color/shading, and a peaceful mood. Ralts is captured at Medium and Abra is captured at Hard. Nicely done! Keep on painting well with great colors, make sure your texture shows what you want it to show, and enjoy your Pokemon!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    979 (0 Banked)

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloJello View Post
    I remember being blown away when you submitted this as your first artwork (or at least, the first work of yours that I saw). It’s a lovely, serene nature picture and I’m happy to be curating it.

Things that are marvelous!

• You show real skill as a digital painter here. There’s that thick, soft feel of a painting without a distracting amount of obvious brushstrokes. Your technique works well on both organic and inorganic matter, with bigger, stronger blocks of color making the rocks look tough, long, soft strokes showing blades of grass, and thick strokes creating depth in your Pokemon (and Trainer).
    • The lighting in this piece is excellent. Your light source is clearly a bright sun with the slightest yellow tint to its white light, hanging pretty much directly above the scene. The light color and source are both consistent throughout the piece.
    • Also great are the colors. While there’s a lot of colors present here, the prevalent green and blue create a calm and relaxed mood. Most of the shading on the characters shares this cool color scheme, which is really great for both palette unity and atmosphere.
    • I detect exactly zero anatomy issues, which is great attention to detail. Each Pokemon’s appearance here is kept consistent to canon art, and (aside from the obviously deliberate anime-style face) your human character’s anatomy is right-on.
    • Subtly but importantly, the pond shows ripples, reflections, and translucency. The human, Bayleef, and Zweilous all have ripples around their feet and their feet are faintly visible beneath the waves.

Things to learn from!

• The pile of belongings beside the Trainer is confusing; I can’t tell what it’s supposed to be (my guess is the Trainer’s shed coat and miscellaneous belongings, but it’s hard to tell what’s actually meant). If they are clothes, they can simply be laid out flat for the viewer to “read” easily; if not, it’s necessary to exercise some precision or remove the pile altogether for visual clarity.
    • The cool green and blue color scheme established in the rest of the piece abruptly turns yellow close to the viewer where Ralts stands. If it were a bit subtler, this would be great for showing atmosphere, but given that most of the other greens are far cooler, it’s a bit abrupt.
    • While you’ve made good effort with the water, it looks somewhat matte. Because it’s under trees and bright light, patches of reflective green and sharp highlights would reinforce the wavy, liquid nature of the pond. Even a pond beneath a clear blue sky will show plenty of green if it’s in a natural environment, which is especially true if the pond is surrounded by green trees like yours.
    • Your contrast is mostly good, but it gets lost in a few places. Bayleef suffers from this a lot; its values are similar to the values of the background around it. Simply giving some more dark blues to the background behind Bayleef, or enhancing the shadows on Bayleef itself, would fix this.

Verdict.
    This piece checks off every single box on the Complex rank list with good anatomy, a solid background, great color/shading, and a peaceful mood. Ralts is captured at Medium and Abra is captured at Hard. Nicely done! Keep on painting well with great colors, make sure your texture shows what you want it to show, and enjoy your Pokemon!
    Thank you!!! Claiming both psychic children!

The stuff next to her is supposed to be her shoes and her bag lol yeah it was kind of a last minute addition & its all bunched up next to her... Definitely huge issue on the values; I could have gone much deeper on parts since everything kinda looks like a big blur. I also have very little experience drawing water so thanks for the advice!! I want to try more full background pieces so I'll try my best with another Meteor Valley submission next time :muscle:

3. Likes ~VeloJello liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    979 (0 Banked)

Art Fourplay capture for Qwilfish (Hard -> Medium)
    Grade Request: Concise

full res: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...6/QWILfish.png