1,214 (25 Banked)

Default Ice Ice Baby [CAPTURE]

Ice Ice Baby

-----

MEDIUM
    Vannilite

-----

...too cold, too cold...

Someone was trying to slid into my dms about my auction win, so let me just throw this sassy ice cream in here real fast. Gotta cool down during those hot summer days!

-----

Attempting to catch a Vanillite!

-----

Last edited by Fenris; 09-01-18 at 01:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,170 (0 Banked)

C l a i m. Will try to be fairly zippy with this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,170 (0 Banked)

Me, over a month ago: fairly zippy
    ... Oops. Thanks for your patience. ^^'

First Impression.
    Man, looking at your marker art makes me want to try markers myself. Unfortunately, the cost of Copics is a bit prohibitive for me, so I’ll settle for curating what’s in front of me. This is a beautifully goofy work that put a smile on my face because of both its comedy and its quality. So let’s talk about this cool, cool cone!

Form.
    That sure as shootin’ is a Vanillite in sunglasses, enjoying a nice beach day. I’m not sure how the sunglasses or the drink are staying affixed to Vanillite, but this drawing being very cartoony and comical nets it a pass there. This Vanillite is a little, well, how to put this delicately… wider than Vanillite is typically depicted. In comparison to canon artwork, your Vanillite has a rather fat cone. I’m gonna be so bold as to say this isn’t a bad thing, either. Fiddling with a Pokemon’s proportions in order to make an illustration work is one of my favorite things to draw and see others draw; while I personally use it to make Pokemon look more realistic, you’ve used it so that Vanillite’s reclining, relaxed pose is telegraphed properly. If Vanillite didn’t have as big a cone, the viewer wouldn’t be able to see its body curling up against its little seat. Its slightly-elongated arms work well in this respect too, both in the sense that they keep up with Vanillite’s big cone and that they get to show off that snazzy red drink in Vanillite’s hand. The tweaks you’ve made to Vanillite work really well; apart from these proportion changes, Vanillite is spot-on. The perspective on it, its “chair”, and the glass it’s holding all match up with each other, which is impressive. There’s great synergy between Vanillite’s chill pose and its smug smile, showing that Vanillite is having the time of its life reclining on the beach. Well-done on making such a simple and, in my not-so-humble opinion, inelegant Pokemon look interesting and fun.

Surrounding Vanillite and its luxurious setup are sand, a beach ball, and a Krabby. The sand is delightfully textured, with a few thin, rough black lines showing where the sand’s piled up a little higher and to display how coarse and lumpy it is. The beach ball is a little bloated on the viewer’s right, but otherwise it inscribes a nice circle. The lines between the different colors on the ball also help to reinforce its shape as an object made out of plastic as opposed to just being a colorful orb.

The Krabby is the only figure I have any real quibbles with. You’ve simplified Krabby’s shape so that it doesn’t get over-detailed and distracting. The result is that Krabby appears to be missing several of its joints, having no knees or elbows to speak of. Even highly-simplistic cartoon crabs tend to have these joints, making this Krabby look a little off. Its body appears to be slanted slightly to the viewer’s right, too, which makes it less recognizable as Krabby and a bit confusing to look at. It’s not a horrible drawing of Krabby, but I do think it could have been drawn a bit more cautiously, with more attention to symmetry and logical placement of its features. I do like its inclusion and position, though. It breaks up the sandy negative space to the viewer’s left quite nicely.

Color and Value.
    The palette for this is fairly small; with the exception of the paper color and white-out spots, I count only four main hues - blues, reds, browns, and grays of varying tone. Small palettes are really effective for a simple piece like this, because there’s less unnecessary detail to bog the eye down. Red and brown are quite prevalent throughout the piece, but they’re not overpowering. They also help to sell the main idea of this image - that Vanillite is enjoying a warm summer’s day. The sunbathing, beachgoing theme wouldn’t have worked nearly as well if, say, you’d drawn Vanillite lounging in green grass or sitting near a purple beach ball. There’s juuust enough blue in the rest of the piece not to make Vanillite’s bright blue jarring, and the dark blue is deployed strategically so that we see that this two-toned Pokemon with a color on its body that doesn’t appear anywhere else is the focal point. The blues look a tad more muted than the colors Vanillite is canonically depicted with, even when one factors in that this is a sunny day that probably has lots of warm lighting, but such are the limits of traditional media. Overall, great job on hues!

Your shading game is double-edged. On the one hand, your contrast and shadow are on point; on the other, there are a couple of light source fumbles that hold this piece back. I’ll get the criticism out of the way, first. While your light source is mostly consistent, there are a few places where it becomes confusing. The main one is the sand surrounding Vanillite. A lot of the sand clumps that have been indicated with black lines are shaded darkly at their tops. Given that your light source is in the upper (viewer’s) right, the tops of the sand clumps are actually where they should be the lightest. If this happened on one or two of the sand clumps, I wouldn’t bother bringing this up, but it’s consistent across pretty much all of them. When you’re shading, make sure you consider the shape of an object and how its shape will affect how the light strikes it. The same goes for Vanillite’s “chair”. Because the light is coming from the upper right, the vertical panel is cast in shadow, which you’ve shown. That’s great! However, unless the sun is directly overhead, the hypotenuse of this particular triangle should also be shadowed. Because the diagonal isn’t as directly in shadow as the vertical, the shadow here wouldn’t be as severe, but there should still be a bit of darkness. I definitely recommend trying to keep your light source more in mind, as shading is a major part of defining shapes and detailing how they fit into the space.

Now for the gushing, because you genuinely did seem to put a lot of love into your shading. You included Vanillite’s weird colored-in, shadowed chest panel (I had to look it up, but for some reason, it’s present in a lot of anime screenshots?) on the lower-left quadrant of its chest diamond, which is the perfect choice for your upper-right light source. Vanillite casts shadows on both its environment and itself, making it look like a real figure in a real environment - its arm casts a shadow on its body, its… neck frill (Vanillite is so weird) casts a shadow on its cone body, and Vanillite’s whole body casts a shadow on the sand. Most of these shadows are gray in color, which is a nice touch. On the sand, it makes the shadow cooler, making it clear that a cool-colored thing is casting it. Where you were careful with your light source, you did it really well. Great attention to detail on Vanillite.

Technique.
    So I hopefully managed to intimate that I adore your marker work. The only point where I see marker strokes that are overly visible are on the beach ball’s red stripe; the rest is pretty much immaculate. Not only are your marker strokes mostly clean, you’ve utilized them in a cool way. Because you’re drawing on white paper, every gap between colors reads as a highlighted spot. Doing this lets you avoid adding another color and keeps your palette streamlined. It gets the light across while showing creative use of the medium and introducing visual variety. I noticed that a few of the smaller highlights appear to be touched in with white-out, which is a smart strategy. It works especially well on the sand, which is really textured so that individual grains can be highlighted. Overall, steller ink-work, here.

Conclusion.
    I give this icy baby a solid Hard rank, which means that you can claim $20,000. Krabby’s off-base anatomy, a few troubles with light source, and more minimal environmental detail are the main issues holding you at this rank. That's not to say, though, that this is still an excellent drawing. The concept is super amusing and endearing, and it’s executed really well, so that it’s both funny and pleasing to the eye. Watch out for light source and anatomical consistency, keep on doing rocking marker work with great colors, and enjoy your money!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,214 (25 Banked)

I'll go ahead and claim the funds!

Thank you for the solid critique! I appreciate your depth in talking about my marker strokes and colors; I agree my shading needs some more work in terms of light sources, and appreciate the feedback on that specifically. gives me a lot to work on! :)