URPG StaffAce Member ModeratorAdministrator Elrond's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,707 (0 Banked)

Default Sunkern

Target: Sunkern
    Medium: Pen and Marker
    [See it on deviantArt]
    Last edited by Elrond; 08-07-18 at 10:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    16,844 (0 Banked)

claim!
    Abras are so cute!
    Joined URPG 1/28/2017!
    Competitive Showdown player
    TEAM A.C.T. ALL THE WAY

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    16,844 (0 Banked)

@Elrond;
    Spoiler:

Howdy Elrond! I'm a big fan of sunflowers, so I might have an ahem vested interest in this capture, but lets dig right in and plant this seedling, shall we?

I have to say, right off the bat I'm a very big fan of your take on Sunkern. It looks vibrant and full of life, ready to become a full fledged Sunflora! I also really enjoyed seeing it's "hair" thinned out a bit to show off a bit more of the stem; this being a bit close to the official art, I was excited to see you take some liberties to really make the piece come into its own. Another thing I also really enjoyed was the lack of the third black line that is usually below Sunkern's bottom lip; I've always disliked that feature, and the lack of it on yours makes your Sunkern not only stick out, but also cuter!

Anatomy-wise, I only have one small complaint; the first is that I'd love to see a little more detail or movement on Sunkern's leaves. While the rest of the piece gives some really good perspective and form, especially on the top of Sunkern's head near the stem and the streaks on its face, the leaves fall flat. Consider adding a defining line or turning them a bit, or even making an original pose for them to make the leaves seem important, and not like an afterthought.

Another thing I noticed and enjoyed was how much brighter you made Sunkern. You used the pen well to get a really good shape of Sunkern, but the colors is where this piece really comes alive. Changing Sunkern's streaks from a dark brown to a light brown was an awesome decision, and that combined with the shading on its left side makes it seem like it's enjoying some sun, and the rounded head makes it seem even more ready to evolve. As an easiest, I have no problems with the colors here, but do be careful in the future with the main color there; around the middle of it's face it isn't colored in as well, and I'd recommend lightly touching up with the yellow to give it that full yellow consistency, without detracting from the shadow effect you have going on.

Overall, I really enjoyed this piece. You took some liberties and made some great changes and tweaks to an official artwork to make a piece that's well put together and unified. I am more than fine with saying that Sunkern is captured. I hope to see more from you in the future! (and maybe a Sunflora next time for me to chew over? ;)
    Last edited by Gold; 09-19-18 at 12:02 PM.
    Abras are so cute!
    Joined URPG 1/28/2017!
    Competitive Showdown player
    TEAM A.C.T. ALL THE WAY