User Tag List

Thread: Light the Halls

In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    22,566 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default Light the Halls

Decided to try my hand at a capture piece this time around. Not sure how it's gonna go for me, but we'll see. Voltorb's trying to light these halls of this abandoned building (maybe the power plant from Park???). Used markers and colored pencils with this to experiment a little bit. Tried to get the shading right to emphasize Voltorb lighting the hall, but I dunno how I feel about it.

Going for a Voltorb with this piece.

2. Likes ~K'sariya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    16,830 (0 Banked)

Henlo, I claim dis
    Abras are so cute!
    Joined URPG 1/28/2017!
    Competitive Showdown player
    TEAM A.C.T. ALL THE WAY

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    16,830 (0 Banked)

Heyo, gonna make this one of the first Concise grades ever, so buckle up!

Things I thought you did really well:
    -Minus the one small protrusion at the top, Voltorb's anatomy was done really well. The eyes especially look really fierce, and give off a lot of emotion. I'd pay attention to the details though; Voltorb's eyebrows aren't very pronounced, and any extra details you could throw in would bring it all together better!
    -I like the introduction of the shading in the back of the hallway behind Voltorb; gives a real mystery vibe and also helps distinguish it as the Power Plant, besides just Voltorb's presence. It also is very well done in regards to Voltorb's location in the hall, with the only real criticisms I have being a little more slant on the shadow on the left wall to show that the light is coming exclusively from Voltorb, as well as a more rounded or even shading on the floor, similar to the one on the wall.
    -You chose good colors for the piece; the orange of the doors gives off Power Plant safety vibes, and the whites help with that very same image. This is exactly how I pictured the Power Plant in the park, especially with a wild staticky Voltorb!

Things I think you need to improve on:
    -Staying in the lines more: the bottom door as well as Voltorb have blank spaces and overlap (like the red in Voltorb's eye) that really distract from the piece.
    -perspective. I can't tell where Voltorb is supposed to be in relation to the room; also, is it supposed to be bigger than both of the doors combined? You'll benefit a lot from adding in more perspective, and it'll draw the piece together a lot more. Instead of drawing the large doors, draw the bottom of them, and give Voltorb a more realistic pose. Additionally, your walls and doors curve in different directions, and it really distracts from the focus of the piece. Make sure that you're staying consistent with your perspective, and Gold will be a happy boy.
    -While I appreciated the shading on the walls, I really wanted to see some shading on/near Voltorb; I would have personally put it underneath Voltorb, but your Voltorb is huge and didn't leave much room for it. Hopefully scaling Voltorb and leaving some room for more detail will help you be able to add this in as well.

Overall, I think this is very close to a medium rank; you put the detail in where it mattered, and the color and shading attempts were well done. However, as of right now, I can only give this a Simple rank. Try to implement some of the criticism above, as well as smoothing out the piece as a whole, and I'll be more than happy to award you a Voltorb.
    Abras are so cute!
    Joined URPG 1/28/2017!
    Competitive Showdown player
    TEAM A.C.T. ALL THE WAY