User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FarDreams are made of these

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,969 (0 Banked)

Default FarDreams are made of these

Putting my first piece of completed art up here. It's a pretty nice feeling.

I call this one 'My Pokemon Ranch', including a sneaky cameo for those who remember the game. Submitting this as a capture attempt for a Diglett.

Resurrected stats (still under renovation!):
    http://forums.petalburgwoods.com/sho...3-Evan-s-Stats

2. Likes ~K'sariya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,969 (0 Banked)

This one is 'Glory Days', inspired by the PXFire drawn art challenge. Trying for a capture on Ralts from the fourplay.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    979 (0 Banked)

claiming for curation ★

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by evanfardreamer View Post
    Putting my first piece of completed art up here. It's a pretty nice feeling.

I call this one 'My Pokemon Ranch', including a sneaky cameo for those who remember the game. Submitting this as a capture attempt for a Diglett.

Steel Soul Design TeamURPG StaffAdministratorSuper Moderator K'sariya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,707 (0 Banked)

This one is 'Glory Days', inspired by the PXFire drawn art challenge. Trying for a capture on Ralts from the fourplay.

And I've got this one!

Steel Soul Design TeamURPG StaffAdministratorSuper Moderator K'sariya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,707 (0 Banked)

Ah, another PXFire work! Goooood, goood. This one was for the “memory” theme, if I remember correctly? Right off the bat I see that inspiration here: a Gardevoir gazing forlornly at memorabilia from an age past. You get that narrative straight away when looking at this one, which is a great sign.

You’ve accomplished Gardevoir’s humanoid figure well--I knew immediately what the Pokemon was and what perspective we’re viewing her from. You’ve got a good shape, but I see a couple of details that this Gardevoir is missing. Using the default splash as a reference, the first that I see is that this Gardevoir is missing the ear-like “spikes” that protrude over the hair. These would still be visible from this angle since they go over the “bangs”. The other one is the front spike. Using some references like Gardevoir’s Pokken model, we see that the front chest protrusion is actually quite large, and would be seen from this angle jutting just out from behind the arm.

You’ll also notice that the top curve of her forward bang doesn’t quite follow the line of the face. You have it to where the front bang fades smoothly into the circular curve of the face, but it would actually protrude a little further and conclude its curve a little more sharply.

I think the only other mishap I see on the form is something that has to do with the perspective. Since her left bang is further away from us than her right, its bottom curve would actually land higher than the right instead of lower than it. To show you what I mean, here’s a little sketch that also has the above critiques in it (done with a trackpad, please have mercy this was so difficult haha). Overall, though, this was a great interpretation of Gardevoir’s figure as viewed from this angle, and it accomplishes its job!

Moving on to the table objects. I like how you’ve included a variety of objects--it helps sell the narrative you’ve got going on by making the Gardevoir’s loneliness/loss almost quantitative: not only did they battle together long enough and closely enough to get a case full of badges, but they also were together long enough to collect a myriad of ribbons and even a trophy.

Looking at your object arrangement, I think that it’d be cool to see a little more variation in how these objects are placed! They’re all perfectly-spaced and equidistant, which I’d expect from a carefully-preserved display case but not as much from a regular table in a room. Of course, this also depends on the narrative you’re going for--are you going for a retired Trainer who has just set things there in a way that’s partially organized but not quite, or are you going for this Gardevoir’s Trainer having passed away, and the precious objects on the table are placed this way to honor and memorialize them? It’s something to think about when laying things; it doesn’t detract much at all from this one, but is just a small thought for future works!

Your picture and its frame are put really well into perspective. We’re able to see the appropriate sides of the frame, and it’s slanted to show that it’s propped up on a classic leg like most frames are. Same goes for the badge case! Anatomies within the frame look good, especially the Ralts (the most important part!). The only object off in perspective here is the cup. It’s got a little lean to it for an object that should be standing straight up and down. Remember that like your table legs and wallpaper stripes, things that are straight up and down will remain straight up and down from most steady perspectives.

A nice touch that shows your understanding of perspective is the stripes of the wallpaper. You have them narrowing as they go back and away from us, and you do it with a measured gradualness that is just great! You also seem to be doing the same with the tiles. The only thing that I’d watch is the table. The / edge that’s nearest to us is shorter than the / edge that’s further away, when it would be reversed, with the more distant edge being shorter and the more near one being longer!

I love your colors. Blue is a naturally cool and melancholy color (they don’t call it “a case of the blues” without reason), and the pastel, almost faded, colors of the wallpaper add to the nostalgic distance of this memory theme.

Man, shading tiles like that is hard. But you straight up flexed on it, and the work you put into it really shows. The way you used darker shades of those colors on each tile (instead of doing something like creating the shadow by lightly coloring over all of the tiles indiscriminately) paid off, because the shadows are clear and tactful. These are the boldest shadows that you have on the work, and they’re so great that I’m going to recommend you carry them through all of the rest of the work. I’d love to see these deep, dark contrasts on things like the right edge of the picture frame and badge case.

I’d also like to see the attentive shading that’s on the cast shadows applied to the Gardevoir. A clear and bright light source that casts that sharp of shadows would also create some pretty stark shadows on our lonely Gardevoir. I see a slight bit on the edges of the frills and near the bottom, but most of the right side of its body would be cast in some short of shadow, including the side of her face that we can see. Shading in the right sides of the white with some greys that are darker than the ones you have, and the greens with a darker green, would give you the fantastic depth that you have elsewhere on your Gardevoir!

I know that this is a pretty critique-heavy curation, but I do want to impress that I love this work and the attention you’ve put into it, from the great communication of perspective to the small details that craft your somber, nostalgic narrative. Even though your form is missing some small anatomical bits, it’s an original pose that’s relevant to the work, and you’ve got a full- and attentively-colored background that shows some wicked acknowledgement of perspective. Fourplay means that you pass this work at medium, scoring yourself a Ralts! The suggestions I gave would bring it right up to hard if it weren’t Fourplay (and eventually beyond, depending on how far you committed to them). Keep up the great work.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,969 (0 Banked)

"Ignorance is Bliss", intended as a capture for Cutiefly. Shading didn't turn out as effective as I'd hoped, but here it is nonetheless!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,969 (0 Banked)

"Plants are People Too" submitting as capture attempt for an Oddish.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    979 (0 Banked)

Curation @ My Pokemon Ranch

Hi Evan, really glad I got to curate your piece cause it's super duper cute and wholesome i cry

Target: Diglett (Simple)
    Evaluation: Medium! ★★★

====================

Form
    While the figures are small due to the scale of the scene, I can tell you have two digletts tilling the soil in the front; and a squirtle and oddish in the back near the berries. All of the mons are detailed with the right features, and show a variation of side & back angle poses. The rancher also has good body proportion, and you did an amazing job with the height scaling for everyone in respect to distance as well! The rancher's pants look a little poofy, but his outfit has good detail with the hat and suspenders. Diglett does have very minimal features as a subject anyway, so I think you did a great job turning this into a landscape scene rather than a simple close up!

Background
    The background you've illustrated is well fit for the scene, and matches the calm mood of the piece. Although some may argue that the scene is a little bare; I like the amount of space you've given in between the three main areas of the field, rancher, and the berries. It definitely gives you a big wide open feeling of the vast farmland. I also see some bushes or trees in the far back, and what I think is the ocean (darker blue than the sky) behind the hills; which do fill up some leftover sections very nicely.

The perspective on the outer lines of the house are very good, but the door and windows lack the same depth (which is an easy fix! I'm assuming you lined the house first, and drew those on later and forgot to account for depth). If you had those lines slanted like the others, it would match the perspective displayed on the house.
    Spoiler:

There's something hiding on top of the roof of the house that's a but hard to see (is that the Pokemon Ranch easter egg?), a Mew peeking out maybe? But overall, I really like the aerial view we get of the whole scene; the field stretching inwards on that left corner creates an excellent sense of depth & distance.

Color
    These look like colored pencils? The color isn't overly strong so it creates a fainter, softer tone that I don't think we would see from something like crayon. It compliments the mood of the piece very well, while giving us enough color to bring the illustration to life. There are only a couple visible shadows in the piece, but they all point in the same direction which is perfect. Since you're outdoors in the country, the sun appears to be only light source you have in this scene; and all subjects are affected by it in the same way. Only thing you missed were some shadows for the little digletts in the field and the house. The squirtle and oddish who are farther away seem to have so shadow below them, so I think it would have been good to add some to the digletts who are more in the forefront of the picture. The house is also something that should be affected by lighting, thus casting a shadow on the porch from the roof cover.

======================

You've got a solid grasp on visualizing the big picture, and I think you did a wonderful for your first complete artwork! Due to the wide field of view on this scene, it's hard to give a higher grade than Medium as a lot of stuff is too small to be evaluated in more detail. Your colors are light, which creates a unique effect on the piece, but could also benefit from stronger colors to display deeper values and allow parts of the picture to be emphasized. But, it is a wonderful piece of work that showcases a lot of your strongpoints! Next time if the nature of the composition allows for more fullness (compared to how open the countryside is), I think you can pass Hard with a little bit more detail into the picture ★

Congrats on the new baboo Diglett! Take him home where he belongs 😭

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,969 (0 Banked)

Throwing this in proactively, I am fine with concise grades on both 'Ignorance is Bliss' and 'Plants are People Too'.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    979 (0 Banked)

clam for concise

Spoiler:
    "Ignorance is Bliss", intended as a capture for Cutiefly. Shading didn't turn out as effective as I'd hoped, but here it is nonetheless!