User Tag List

Thread: [4-play] Naptime at the Pokemon Daycare

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    557 (25 Banked)

Default [4-play] Naptime at the Pokemon Daycare

Made for the July - September Art 4-Play!

HARD --> MEDIUM
    Salandit, Ralts

-----

"The two prefer to play with other Pokémon more than with each other...or rather one of them would at least, ohhohoho!"

-----

Added a few closer pics to show effects or details done in marker and pen I wasn't sure would show up right in the full size or that might have been miss-able.

Last edited by Fenris; 07-30-18 at 01:31 PM.

2. Likes Sou, Mako liked this post
    Steel Soul Design TeamURPG StaffAdministratorSuper Moderator K'sariya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,685 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Made for the July - September Art 4-Play!

HARD --> MEDIUM
    Salandit, Ralts

-----

"The two prefer to play with other Pokémon more than with each other...or rather one of them would at least, ohhohoho!"

-----

Added a few closer pics to show effects or details done in marker and pen I wasn't sure would show up right in the full size or that might have been miss-able.

Claimed!

Steel Soul Design TeamURPG StaffAdministratorSuper Moderator K'sariya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,685 (0 Banked)

Oh, wow, alright, so this is pretty adorable. I gotta give it you, Fenris--you always manage to come up with the coolest and cutest concepts for your work! It’s always exciting to see what you create!

As usual, your stylized anatomy is pretty spot on. Your wrinkled exaggeration of Salandit’s muzzle is especially charming. The only detail that I can’t tell if it’s intentionally stylized are the Salandit’s eye size and the curve of its skull down to its muzzle. Salandit typically has one heck of a domed skull that protrudes pretty high above the top line of its muzzle, and it has big, slanty eyes to match. The rest of your representations in this work seem pretty faithful to the proportions and style of the game/splash arts (compared to the very-apparent intentionally-stylized realism of, say, your Ralts work that included a Salandit), so carrying that through with the skull would be a nice touch. Using larger eyes would also give you a chance to exaggerate the happiness of the Salandit to contrast it against the narrow slits of the Charmeleon’s! Either way, it’s a small detail; the rest is wonderful and particularly charming.

Your Charmeleon is similarly well-done and faithful, with everything in the right place and in the right proportions. The only thing I notice in particular is the horn being much shorter than in the splashes, but something like that I feel can be chalked up to species/individual variation, so no complaint there!

The colors you have in this one are simple but also striking. Our two figures are well-contrasted by their body hues. The choice of a Spinda doll was a great way to carry the red tone of Salandit’s tail stripe and the beige of Charmeleon’s underbelly throughout the work! The competing choices of blanket colors is another good touch for the story behind this one. Red is a typically amorous color, so by giving the affectionate Salandit a deep burgundy blanket and a similarly-colored stuffed animal (another sign that this Salandit is a cuddler!), you contrast it against the frigid, icy blue of the Charmeleon’s blanket. It’s these small details that really solidify the narrative of this work.

You have a great technique with marker and pen, and it shows here through your incredibly clean coloring. The pattern/methodology you use when coloring is clean and also done in a way that contributes to the texture of what you’re coloring. The bit I noticed and liked the most was where you followed the contour of Salandit’s tail when you colored, taking chunks that run perpendicular to the edges. This gives a nice rippled effect that comes across to me as almost similar to scales. Neat touch! I see an “oops, that happened but can’t fix that” area on Charmeleon’s tail, where the orange lapses onto the beige, but it’s an incredibly minor flaw on an otherwise clean display of your… marksmanship? Does that work here? It does now.

Penwork? Solid. You have beautiful light crosshatching that helps offer a little bit of depth to the work. Those gentle lines are impressive even with the finest of pens! The only suggestion I have with your penwork is to watch for unintentional tangents with your lines. This is something that Velo expressed to me in one of her curations, and it put into words something I’d noticed but never been able to fully explain before!

I see a bit of “#1 - The Long Line” right here, where the beginning of the chest meets the blanket. The wrinkle inside of the blanket looks sort of like an attempt show that it’s resting on its stomach, but it’s slightly uncertain to me as a viewer, especially since there are similar lines down below it. If it is a mark to show it’s resting on the stomach, I think a great way to clarify that would be to carry that line into the outline of the blanket in order to show a defined wrinkle. This would clarify that without a doubt!

I also love the composition you've created here. Our two central figures form a lovely curved "w" shape for the eye to follow (a shape that's ironically similar to an inverse of a heart's top). Salandit's serpentine tail alone has a lot of great character in it, crooking at the end in a way a kid is about to poke its sibling, or proclaim "I'm not touching you!" Your composition really has a great life of its own.

Either way, all of these critiques are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things; you’re a talented and knowledgeable artist, so these kinds of gritty details are the best I can point out for you to continue taking your work to the next level.

Between having two detailed figures, the nigh-impeccable anatomies, the great narrative, and a semblance of a background/context with the blankets and pillows, this definitely passes as a medium, so enjoy your Salandit! It’s a pleasure, as always. <3
    Last edited by K'sariya; 09-19-18 at 03:11 PM.