User Tag List

Thread: [x4] Catch Me If Ya Can!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,065 (0 Banked)

Default [x4] Catch Me If Ya Can!

Submitting my PXFire Drawn Art entry for Salandit at Medium rank for fourplay! Also, while I didn't really purpose this for the July theme of heat, I wouldn't turn it down.

Steel Soul Design TeamURPG StaffAdministratorSuper Moderator K'sariya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,678 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by VeloJello View Post

Submitting my PXFire Drawn Art entry for Salandit at Medium rank for fourplay! Also, while I didn't really purpose this for the July theme of heat, I wouldn't turn it down.
    Claiming!

Steel Soul Design TeamURPG StaffAdministratorSuper Moderator K'sariya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,678 (0 Banked)

Lemme tell ya’, Velo—this was one of my favorite pieces of that PXFire round. Pokemon with their items was such a cool theme and you played with that perfectly. Catch Me If Ya Can is a wonderful, dynamic, and charming work right off the bat!

The anatomy you’ve got here is spectacular—there’s really not much I can add to it. The most stunning parts for me are things like the leg that’s closest to us, the claws on the feet, and the shapes on the expression. You make fantastic use of line and shading to form these pieces. The jutting, knobby knee really drives home the way it’s drastically pulled up and moving, and the line and shading on the face communicates the bunching and rounded-ness of the sneering jowl, the deeply-set eyes, and the width of the lower jaw.

I could only find one inconsistency in the anatomy, and that’s on the lower legs. You’ve defined two main joints on the back legs: the “wrist” joint at the base of the hands, and the back “elbow” joint. On the leg nearest to us, that bone going back to the “elbow” is much longer than it is on the leg that’s further away. I think that, while beautifully sculpted (:weary:), the raised leg and thigh nearest to us is a little too long on all fronts. Shortening the thigh would let you shorten the lower leg that’s curled up beneath it, and should draw everything back to consistent proportion.

While super small, I love the line from the back of the leg nearest to us into the tail. It really defines the bottom side of the broad tail without having to use more of a line at all. It’s a very nice subtlety! Overall, your line technique is extremely effective. You make great use of thicker lines for parts in darker shadow, and also use bright highlight lines as a means of separating dark parts from other dark parts, which is a nice touch that keeps things from blending together too much. The way your edge highlighting stacks is great, too. You stack a stark highlight atop a dark outline atop a less drastic highlight. These side-by-side contrasts make for really striking shading.

As a minor suggestion, I think deepening the shadows on the balloon might be worth looking into. Balloons are naturally very smooth surfaces, so it’s really easy for them to become flat in a work. You’ve done a great job taking steps to prevent this, with nice shiny streaks and a lovely back reflection. Deepening the tones leading up to the backside reflected light of the balloon might give it a little more depth. Maybe even try mixing in a bit of the purple from the background into the reflected light, or into some of the darker parts of the balloon to neutralize the red a little bit. This might bring it closer to matching the beautiful, striking contrasts in shading you have elsewhere! Additionally, I think varying the line weight on the balloon would help as well. It’s one width all around, but making it thicker in the back and lighter up front would help the dynamism of the balloon also!

Your colors are lovely. The warm of orange and red matches perfectly with the cool purple you’ve chosen—orange and purple is one of my favorite color schemes! Your warm grey fits nicely on the composition, and helps it jump forward from the mixture of cool and warm behind. I know you didn’t put much emphasis on the background, so I won’t go too much there, but I’d like to see the fuzzy lines there perhaps have a little more rigidity (for example, instead of a 25% hardness, maybe 75%). Everything about this work is sharp, rigid, bony, and fierce, while I like that you’ve made soft lines in the background so that your foreground subject leaps out at us, I think making the brush a little harder on those strokes would help match them more to the subject without taking away from it!

The thematic story behind this one is one of my favorite things. Owning a very squishy, 4x-weak-to-ground ‘mon is one of the hardest parts about using Salazzle in URPG since everyone and their mother learns either Bulldoze or Earthquake, and for me, that knowledge enhances the connection I have to the theme!

The only thematic/logical thing I get stuck on for this one is the flame and the balloon string. From this angle, it almost looks like the fire that the Salazzle is spitting is going straight through the flame, especially since both arms seem to be a little forward from the chest. I was thinking of how to solve this, and I think making its right arm’s position more drastically pulled back would do nicely. If its right arm was really reared back behind its body, like drawing a bowstring back tight, that would bring the string completely taut, making it run against its chest and go slightly under the chin and up to the raised arm. This would create a great compositional line darting straight to the balloon, while also bringing it under the chin and out of the blast of the flames!

Overall, this is a hard AF pass! Salandit is definitely captured! Wonderful work!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,065 (0 Banked)

Claiming, thank you! I definitely agree with you on the balloon and the very long leg, haha. And I didn't even think about the way the fire and the string interacted - I'll remember to be more careful with my compositions and actions in the future. :>

5. Likes ~K'sariya liked this post