User Tag List

Thread: Riding Waves into the Sunset

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    5,730 (0 Banked)

Default Riding Waves into the Sunset

You all have known that I've been busy with the MCAT and preparing to apply (and knock on wood, hopefully get in) to med school and I thought: after the MCAT I'd be more available to do stuff here. Buuuuut, I haven't been able to give/provide as much as I've wanted-- which again, in fairness, is not a necessity to stay on staff, but I know I'm going to be getting busier along the road here and I should focus more on med school and those ambitions and not having URPG/PWN/Onmyo in the background lingering, so I'm going to step down from staff on URPG, Admin on PWN, and Head of Onmyo.

In fairness to myself, I only became Head of Onmyo after Ely left, and then Nits. It's a section that was new and needed the (many and experienced) hands of those who created it. I thought I could run it on my own (I was young, dumb, and naďve those few months ago), I wanted to do the section its justice it deserved, but I simply can't along with everything else. I don't think anyone else can run it the way it should be run (no offense to anyone here at the URPG, especially those in staff, you are all wonderful, but talking from experience, it would be too much with all you all have on your plate). Onmyo is new enough that it's departure from URPG wouldn't hurt it much, if any at all imo. Details on how it will proceed and refunds (if any at all, although I'm optimistic of) will be sorted out with staff later, please don't fret about any investments made, I gotchu fam.

Along those lines, when I accepted admin of PWN, I assumed I would have the rest of PWN staff along with me to help me/teach me/guide me, but I was, apparently, their entire replacement. This isn't a knock on Smiles or any of the rest of them, it was some miscommunication and unfortunate circumstances that lead to that scenario. I had never run a forum before, thought I could get along fine and learn on the job, but realized that was dumb and soon promoted Elrond/Felly/Ash to certain ranks, which was a huge help. But nonetheless there was too much to be done for Felly and she has stepped down (she was super ambitious and needed a lot more than there was available for her in terms of staff, resources, and much more). Thus, it's just a role I cannot truly do in good conscious for me to carry on.

URPG Staff (and Mod) however, were things I wanted and felt like I contributed a lot to and feel good about how and what I've done. First becoming staff was intimidating, but it was something I was excited for and felt good about. It was cool and strange, but I loved it as I loved URPG. Applications first started when there was a good healthy amount of mods and I was still an official. The first round of apps, I didn't apply to be mod, even though I felt like I could have. So the second round of apps came in and I applied. These apps ended like right before November of last year, which, as we all know, was just the bees fucking knees.

I became a mod as a lot of URPG's past and awfulness came to light. I won't go into those details, as we've gone through them a lot if not enough. But we made a lot changes in staff and did enough insight to the extent that I know staff currently is nothing like the staff a year prior (which in of itself was nothing like the staff years prior to that). I have faith that they'll continue to do awesome things and be awesome people and provide a game that is awesome. The only thing I ask of staff is that they don't forget why I got so upset at the zoo-- not that I was upset, or the many times I flamed and raged, but the reasons why. And the only thing I ask from everyone else is that those is staff are staff because they enjoy this game thoroughly enough to dedicate time out of their lives to make it run the best for all players, so if they disagree with you, they don't do it because they don't like you, they do it because they deem it the best answer/solution for all players and for the game in it's entirety.

I'm not leaving entirely, I do wish to remain here as a member, to participate in FFAs and contests and maybe a tourney, but in doing so, I think there's something I should say. In all these years of being here, I've felt guilty for keeping something that only two people have known (who only know because I've told them recently), that I didn't start in 2014 or 2013 or whenever I chose my Staryu. In fact, I'm most likely one of the oldest members of URPG.

I started back in 2004 on PE2K. I was young, obnoxious, but not any worse (or much better) than most at the time (or even today! yukyukyuk). I came on before D/P and was lucky enough to not be a part of the "D/P noobs" group, so the vets were much kinder to me than most others my age. Funny enough, I even started with a Torchic (I thought you had to start with a starter, also mind you, this was before Blaziken got Speed Boost, so I was just a dumb, nub kid).

The BMG expansion happened later and us old PE2Kers tried to boycott BMG, but nonetheless it was popular and we gained a ton of people from it. I soon made an account where I changed my name to one some of you might recognize, but I bet you more than others will not: Zombie Muse. I wasn't particularly good at anything (which continues), I was still somewhat obnoxious, just then also an angsty teen. I was leader of Lavaridge for a while and even went on a fight to out NUKEM my Charizard with an up-and-coming BMGer who was a ref bot and a much better battler (y'all know him as Monbrey).

As my junior and senior year happened at high school, I changed a lot. I felt like I almost became an entirely different person (like I matured or something), and my activity here on URPG died quietly. My freshmen year of university happened and I again, changed a lot as a person. Sophomore year started and I refound URPG.

I remembered all those FFAs with side group chats of 6-8 people all in teams and getting kicked out as they either backstabbed you, or you backstabbed one of them; I remembered FFK outing everyone in an FFA as she and her Persian had been targeted; I remembered Bryce collaborating with Phantom Kat to make stories that would win competitions; I remembered Haze being an incredible battler and others up in the echelons of great battlers duking it out for champ/tourney titles/and best gym win/losses; I remembered goofing around by playing transformice or mafia online; I REMEMBERED GALLLEON USING CAPS AND THEN PASSING ON THE OVERUSE OF EXITMENT TO NEMO AS SHE TOOK OVER HEAD OF STORIES; I remembered talking to Bee about stories and WTP... about the Pikachu in a Highchair meme; I remembered talking to Mikey (Legendary Arcanine, not our current mokes) about how to use Arcanine and then being decent enough to defend my gym with it against threats like Kingdra and Dragonite; and I fondly remembered writing for stories and earning a Pokémon to put in my stats to trade or give character to as my own, a part of the RPG experience the games couldn't provide.

I remembered all of these things and more, and the pull of playing this game and URPG itself dragged me back in. I found my old stats and looked at all the mons I had and in doing so, I also found all of my old posts. I was never problematic, I never did anything wrong or egregious, but I was obnoxious and an angsty teen and I found myself not wanting to relive any of it.

So I made a new account and I rejoined the URPG as a new member. I thought that as long as I never went onto my old account and posted, or did anything with it, I would be okay. Soon after, PE2K shut down for good and all was going to be lost on there. I decided to let my old stats go, and when PE2K ceased to exist, so did my old stats. It was somewhat liberating, and the reason I didn't feel too guilty when Harry contacted me and asked if I wanted to be staff to decline.

I would understand if some people would be upset with me, if they've felt like I've lied to them in someway, but I would hope they could understand and see it from my point of view: I didn't want to be tied to my old posts, my stories, my old relationships, etc. I wanted a fresh start. I felt like a new person, and as far as URPG knew, I was. Not being in any large clique, or a prominent member, or a great battler or writer, or being in any major drama also made coming back as a new member much easier; I wasn't escaping anything large or outside of myself, I was just escaping old teenage angst and reforming me.

Now, with that all out of the way, I'll stick around to iron out any details needed and make the end of Onmyo fluid and such before just being a regular old member. Thanks to all throughout the years who have been here and contributed in their own ways to this collaborative game of incredible experiences. Thanks to the staff, old and current (and soon new) for all they've done and will put in. And thanks to the members throughout the years for making URPG what it is.

--><--
    ^^^Click the Pyukumuku for my URPG Stats^^^

Mako | Morru 07/27/2017
    Marlon is literally @ Liam

2. Likes Xali, weirlind120, SinnohEevee, ~Mikey57, HKim liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    13,589 (0 Banked)

Thanks, Liam! Thank you for all you have done, and good luck on your future endeavors! Slay dat MCAT tbh
    Abras are so cute!
    Joined URPG 1/28/2017!
    Competitive Showdown player
    TEAM A.C.T. ALL THE WAY

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,373 (0 Banked)

Merci Liam !Bonne chance pour le MCAT (j'imagine tu appliques pour l'automne 2019, et que tu vas bientôt finir ton bac). Les applications commencent tôt aux États-Unis. J'espčre entendre la bonne nouvelle.

5. Likes Surfer Liam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    21 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer Liam View Post
    WTP... about the Pikachu in a Highchair meme;
    That awful moment when you get a look at your legacy face to face...

Spoiler:

Good luck with the MCAT

7. Likes Surfer Liam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,420 (0 Banked)

Thanks for everything you've done keeping this game afloat and alive in difficult times.

I remember Zombie Muse, I had no idea that was you! Competing for that Charizard NUKEM is actually a fond memory of mine from a simpler time in URPG #sorrynotsorry I hardly think I was a better battler though :P

All the best with life, I hope it treats you well.

9. Likes Surfer Liam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,351 (0 Banked)

I for one am sorry to see Onmyo go; I hadn't gotten the chance to experience it yet, and it definitely sounded intriguing. Hopefully the development and investments made will be archived in case the opportunity arises to bring it back. I can see it being a drain on already stretched people though and can understand shutting it down - I know not a decision made lightly.

As for you Liam - I hope that it's easier/ less stressful for you to be around and active as a regular member without the direct responsibility of running so much. We should have a basics battle sometime! Good luck on your MCAT.
    Resurrected stats (still under renovation!):
    http://forums.petalburgwoods.com/sho...3-Evan-s-Stats

11. Likes Surfer Liam liked this post
    Head of the URPG URPG StaffAdministrator HKim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    891 (0 Banked)

Thank you Liam for being you, a leader, a friend, and a good person. I'm sorry things have been tough and I'm thankful you were there to help guide the community through it all.

I know you'll overcome any adversity and that wherever you end up, they'll be lucky to have you.