User Tag List

Thread: [Cash] Wish Upon a Tree

In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    22,552 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default [Cash] Wish Upon a Tree

Seedot's wishing he was back up in the trees. This is just a cash attempt. Medium was colored pencil. Not much else to say here tbh.

Steel Soul Design TeamURPG StaffAdministratorSuper Moderator K'sariya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    5,846 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Seedot's wishing he was back up in the trees. This is just a cash attempt. Medium was colored pencil. Not much else to say here tbh.

Claimed!

Steel Soul Design TeamURPG StaffAdministratorSuper Moderator K'sariya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    5,846 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post

Hi, Felly! I always love seein' your art and appreciate you always stickin' with it. <3

This piece is actually really cute--I like the story that you've created with it. The concept of a creature that's just a seed looking up to where it used to be, or even up to something that's interpreted as what it wants to be as its older self, is always very powerful, and very relatable for a lot of viewers!

Your Seedot... made me realize that... Seedot has... a tail. Wow. Today I learned. Jokes aside, you've done nicely on the little perspective here! We have the Seedot in profile, so you've got the right idea by us only seeing part of the one eye! I think the placement of the Seedot is a little confusing--it's not touching the ground, but it's tilted upwards off of its feet like its sitting on its lil' seed butt and looking up. I think overlapping the Seedot's tail and bottom into the green hill that it's on would help ground it, and clarify what it's doing!

You've got the parts of Seedot that you need there, but I'd look at the proportion of those parts! If we look at the sprite of Seedot, we see that the seed cap actually takes up about half of its body, while here it takes up only about a fourth. Dropping the cap to take up more space would give your little acorn some more realistic proportions!

I like how you've curled the lines on the cap to give it the impression of a curved form. The only spot that isn't quite right is where the bottom-most line of the cap seems to fold up into a flat line, seemingly to make way for the eyes. The cap is a solid object, so it should take precedence and hang over the eyes--once you have that curve, stick with it! I'd also love to see the rim of the cap that's reflected in its art. You could achieve this by making the bottom-most section jut out further than the rest of the rings!

Something I've mentioned before is a bit of a stiffness in your shapes. You've done a great job on making the Seedot (a Pokemon that's naturally stiff!) into something a little more dynamic by tilting it backwards a bit, but your tree is still lacking organic shape. I'd experiment a little more with using less straight lines. It doesn't have to be detailed, but even a set of widening curves at the base would give it more form and presence.

One thing that would have been great to see here is attention to scale. Your story is that it's wishing it was back up in the trees, but the Seedot is really big compared to the tree to be able to fit up it. You could change this to be much more impactful without even changing the size of the Seedot--just making tree larger would really get the emotion through. It's wishing for something that it can't achieve realistically with its athletics and size, so making the tree much bigger would really help communicate that! Don't be afraid to cut things off, either--make the tree huge! Make it go off of the page! This is the worst MS Paint mouse garbage ever, but can you imagine if this was all you could see of the tree? It'd really drive the whole thing home!

As always, your patience with coloring is nice. You color consistently and in a direction that makes sense for what you're coloring, whether it's straight lines on the trunk and sky or a little more chaotic ones on the more organic leaves of the tree. You're comfortable with the medium and it shows!

I'm going to give this an Easiest, 3k. I think that you can be a little more adventurous with your work in the future--this feels safe. That's fine for most things, but I think you do safe works more often than not. Honestly, I wanna personally challenge you to do something: try to do a work with a subject and background where you hardly use any straight lines at all! Pick some Pokemon that has a really organic, irregular shape, whether it be a Ditto or a Venusaur or something else that's nice and weirdly-shaped, and put it in a background where straight lines aren't needed much--even a forest would work, since trees have natural lean and tapering and all that other good stuff! I'd love to see something experimental from you like that. You're capable of anything, bb <3

4. Likes Mistral liked this post