User Tag List

Thread: Oddish Isn't a Food

In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    22,566 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default Oddish Isn't a Food

Separating my art into individual threads from here on out in light of comments possibly being allowed on art pieces from people who aren't just the curator. That said, I am okay with comments from people other than the curator. Been meaning to get this posted for a little while, but I've been slacking, hence why the date is from about 2 weeks ago. Took a picture with my phone because I was too lazy to plug in my scanner tbh. Colored pencils are the medium and also a pain in the ass.

Going for a cash attempt on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    0 (358 Banked)

claiming Oddish

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    0 (358 Banked)

@Mistral

Spoiler:

Form/Detail
    This image has a lot of simple elements to it. Nothing too fancy, but enough to give a variety of visual appeal. The sky has the sun and clouds, you get the various greenery, and the subterranean pokemon and vegetables. Usage of space could have allowed for a larger pokemon focus, and filling the background/sky would have cut out empty space to better populate the image. As it is you have a lot of ground and sky with nothing too crazy to make the viewer interested in these areas.

Color, Texture, and Shading
    You have quite the color variety in this image, ranging from the cooler tones dominating the top, to the warmer colors primarily existing in the bottom. It allows Oddish to stand out from the surrounding ground. I do think this image could really use some shading though. As it stands, there is not much to show the shape and feel of the pokemon or its surrounding. Oddish is underground, which could give it a certain lack of light, but it could be darker with brighter leaves to show the difference. Or, it could have the top of the head poking out and then bring the shading down from the top to give the rounded shape.

Pokemon Anatomy
    Overall there isn't a whole bunch to say about Oddish. The proportions are correct, good colors, and its obvious which pokemon it is. The eyelids might be just a tiny hair too big, but that's a fairly critical critique. Where you could have changed things up a bit would be where the leaves meet the head, it's far more spread out than most of the canon images. They have most leaves sprouting from a small point at the top center of the head, whereas yours is more distributed along the entire width. I might have drawn the feet pulled in tight to Oddish’s body as opposed to having them in the ground like they are, it seems it is resting, and would have to force them into the dirt in order to achieve that pose.

Environment/Perspective
    This is a fairly unique perspective, taking a slice out of the earth and looking head on. I would have loved to see something towering over the scene in the background to give us a better idea of perhaps where this is. Other garden plants, like a tomato vine/grapevine? I appreciate you taking the time to give a little variation to the sky color, while not perhaps realistic it offers up some appeal in looking at the sky. The grey clouds seem somewhat out of place with the otherwise sunny sky, perhaps making it completely overcast and drawing some rain? The carros throw me off somewhat. Its obvious they are carrots, but a little more realistic definition would have helped sell that, and making the leaves closer match Oddish’s would have also sold the idea of it blending in instead of standing out with its larger leaves.

Improvements
    I like the perspective used in the image, but usage of space could have created some nice details and lighting effects to really make this image pop.

Results
    As my first cash curation, I declare that ye shall receive that of the Simple Rank: 5,000 poke-benjis.

4. Likes Mistral liked this post