User Tag List

Thread: Gliscor's Coming Fer Ya

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    119 (8,967 Banked)

Default Gliscor's Coming Fer Ya

Yes I AM TRYING FOR GLISCOR... not GLIGAR!!!

I have the base sketch in my sketchbook. here.. Digital's kinda fun. Especially on 4k touchscreen laptops with a bamboo stylus pen thing. Done in Autodesk Sketchbook. I spent like millions of hours on this thing. ;-; But those infinite transparent brushes...so nice.

Note: If it qualifies for Gligar I'll be fine with that, as well!
    Last edited by juliorain; 03-17-18 at 04:02 PM.

Img Made by Morru/Mako

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    0 (182 Banked)

Psst... I claim thee

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    0 (182 Banked)

@juliorain

Spoiler:

[B]Form/Detail[/B]

Something I noticed when I first started looking at the shapes of this image is the background. You have all these trees, and the curve of the mountain, almost circling Gliscor, This is nice as the shapes help to focus in the eye as it goes around the image, it will repeatedly circle your focal point. Gliscor itself helps in this regard, coming off the edge of the image, intersecting this perceived circle, and flowing through the center, up the tail to the head. It's a nice way to help guide the focus through the piece. While there are only a few open spaces, it seems there is just enough to let the eye rest before returning to one of your main elements. You kept the different elements simple, creating only a few varieties yet keeping them in theme which lets any story show itself as opposed to being hidden in hundreds of disparate pieces, like a jumbled puzzle.

One part of the image that seems to be lacking is a cohesive story. In subsequent sections I will touch on some specific ideas on how to improve this, I want to say up front that while Gliscor flying is a nice story, it seems to be rather simple for the rank at which this is presented. Without more context, is Gliscor fooling around? Playing? Hunting for lunch? At higher ranks, a story that is both well presented and more obvious is a must.

Color, Texture, and Shading
    Your color pallette is very calming, you have multiple shades of green and blue, both which tend to reflect your nature setting. Likewise, your gliscor’s soft purple seems to blend in well with the background sky, without meshing too much to make the pokemon not visible. The red is a bit jarring, as it is one of the few warm areas in this scene. It is very obvious, making the arms and body stem stick out almost too much from the rest of the piece. By reducing the color saturation, be it through just changing the color, or highlights and shadows, it would have reduced some of the stark contrast, especially as so any other colors in this image are of a more muted hue.

I have to admit the shading on Gliscor is somewhat confusing. As you have it, the light would be coming directly at the pokemon from the lower left corner, illuminating the underside of Gliscor and giving dark shadows on the right side. With the rest of your image, we seem to have closer to a midday scene, where the light would be coming from above gliscor, giving him a more menacing look by blocking out the sun, or at least by making his visage a shadowy, evil grin. Be sure to know where your light and shadows are originating from ,and keep it consistent throughout the image. Making your light source visible within the image itself can definitely help, offering up a visual focal point in which to see exactly what kind of highlights and shadows might exist in the scene.

I would have loved to see some extra texture and detail on Gliscor. The wings as they currently stand look more like a black sheet draped over his back. Giving more leathery textures and segmenting it like a bat’s wing might have given a more accurate, or at least realistic, effect that could have added so much life into Gliscor.

Pokemon Anatomy

For the most part, your Gliscor is fairly accurate. The colors are quite close to the source art, though the red might have toned down a hair. While the eyes are shown as singular color, some darker gold or brass for the pupils would have added some extra dimension without breaking the canon mold. You are missing the segmentation of both the arms and the waist, but you have it on the ears. Something you just happened to miss maybe? Also, some of the smaller teeth are missing from the mouth, almost giving your gliscor a bit of a vampire vibe. Comparing your feet to the bulbapedia image, it seems they are missing the toes? Depending on the angle you could have given at least some indication of their existence.

One thing that is going to play into your grade at the end is the pose. As far as i can tell, this is almost a direct pose copy from the wiki. The shading is different, however it does not convey as much action as you possibly could have. Ideas might have been to let Gliscor’s claws grab at the camera, making it look like it is attacking the viewer. Or perhaps doing something more dynamic wih its tail. As it stands though, it seems to lack action and emotion that should be present in harder ranked images.

While he is not the focus of the image, I did see your mega salamence up in the sky there. From the limited detail his size allows, everything seems fairly good. Maybe a way to distinguish his blue from the sky would have made him look less blurry.

Environment/Perspective

While your background’s art style seems to emphasize a messier approach, this is one of the times I think it tends to lend itself to the object being painted. Your tree looks like it has bark, although some refinement may have added additional details.Some of the scribbles do not quite follow the tree’s curvatures, creating some jarring edges where we would expect more flowing lines. It also has some less detailed areas, giving us flat, diffuse wood instead of the pockmarked tree we have elsewhere, It's a good idea to make sure you get a good even distribution when you try to add detail like this, as areas missed will stand out much more. The branches on the tree are very nice, and give a good sense of shape and size of the tree. The leaves, while following in the same style, could have perhaps geen blurred together more, so that they would give off a more mottled appearance without the sharp lines you can see when you start looking harder. Your other tree or shrub on the left edge of the screen has a much better look, seeming more rounded and blurred. Carrying that over to your main tree could have improved the image. It seems you have some other trees behind your focal tree, however it's hard to tell exactly what's going on. There could have been some additional distinction between the different trees back there, perhaps with different leaf colors to signify different tree species?

For the remainder of your environment, the mountain seems overly blurred, and it seems to almost fade in to the background. A somewhat sharper edge would have given a more accurate representation in my opinion, and would have further separated the two elements from one another. Your sky has a gradient, which varies your color and makes it far more realistic, so I approve there. I think the perspective of this image is pretty neat, we almost get the feeling Gliscor is diving toward the viewer/camera. It conveys some sense of movement and action.

Creativity/Effort

I know from some of your progress you put a good amount of effort in to this. It really shows in things like the tree’s detail, and the amount of shading. It is definitely better than what I could do in the traditional 2D painting sense. However, the pose and lack of cohesive story elements offset this, making it a nice picture, but one without substance. There is not much emotion in the pokemon, and it gives off this passive appearance, as if Gliscor is merely placed inside a nice nature scene, and is not living within his environment.

Improvements

Some of the main points would be shading and texture on the pokemon, giving it more life beyond the generic pose we see here, which was a good recreation of the Sugimori artwork. Give the Gliscor a reason to be flying towards the viewer, make him show emotion in relation to the events of the image. IS he happy, or sad, gleeful with malicious intent, give us details like that! Make him occupy the environment, not merely exist in the same location as it.

Results

The image is good, especially for your first serious digital attempt. Were Gligar or Gliscor something in the medium rank, I would pass it without question. The rub comes down to some of the main points associated with approvable images in the hard rank and up category:
    HARD: The form should be basically spot-on, and copied poses from official artwork will not fly. Shading, considering light
    Demanding: Story should be apparent.
    These are the real rubs, and i had to go back and re-read the acceptance criteria in detail a few times to make sure i knew what the verdict was going to be. But due to a lack of original pose, some awkward lighting on Gliscor, and no real story that I can find from my repeated looking at the image, I think I will have to sadly say that despite a really good looking image, Gliscor has managed to avoid you for today.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    119 (8,967 Banked)

couldn't really change its pose since my drawing program merged all my layers fsr.

Img Made by Morru/Mako