Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,246 (0 Banked)

Default W32Coravint's Image Compositing Workshop

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,246 (0 Banked)

1. Spellcaster

Gardevoir model from X/Y/OR/AS/S/M/US/UM, credit goes to Game Freak and The Pokemon Company for that
    Everything else taken off Google Images

This is a cash attempt.

Proof of work:
    https://i.imgur.com/212ysgE.png
    Last edited by W32Coravint; 04-10-18 at 09:36 AM.

3. Likes Lychee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,594 (0 Banked)

Claiming!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,594 (0 Banked)

First Impression.
    BURN THE WITCH! BURN THE WITCH! BURN THE -

Ahem. This is a nice, spoopy image of Gardevoir, with the Embrace Pokemon ready to sling some serious fire and magic. Strange sigils and dark colors signify that Gardevoir is powerful and ready to get dangerous!

Technical Quality.

It’s no secret that this image is ‘shopped, but that’s no mark against you - making a 3D model of a Gardevoir look photorealistic and like it belongs in a random (not literally random; I appreciate the picture you picked and I’ll get to the reasons on that later) forest photo would be a bit above the paygrade of anybody here. For the most part, Gardevoir blends in pretty well; there are a few stray pale pixels on Gardevoir, all of them around its hair. These stick out, especially against a dark background. The good news is that such problems are an easy fix as a matter of clipping out the lighter pixels on Gardevoir’s layer. Keep an eye out for loose pixels as you go!

Other than that, I don’t see anything in particular on the loose. The hat, wand, and green sigil images are all very clean, without stray pixels. The light you’ve implemented coming from the sigil at Gardevoir’s feet and the spell in its hand is really well-implemented. The light is clearly emanating from the sigil; it’s brightest where the lines of light meet, which is good. There’s also a nice, healthy glow around the spell, which all helps drive home the point of how magical this is. I would personally suggest adding a pale, desaturated glow to the fire, as well - it’s odd, visually, that the magic is shedding light on the scene but the fire isn’t, and I feel like adding just a slight glow so that the fire matches the other magical elements would help it all tie together.

Colors and Values.
    I dig the palette you’re working with. The purple background and the orange accents in this image really help with the ominous mood, and overall the image is dark with enough tonal variation that the viewer’s eye doesn’t get lost in all the shadow. Applying this shadow to Gardevoir like you’ve done is great, as it helps our center-stage ‘mon to fit into its environment, but the purple on Gardevoir isn’t so overwhelming that it blends into the backdrop. I also like how the largest magical element - the sigil below Gardevoir - is green, which helps the green elements on Gardevoir’s body not look out of place. I would recommend slightly toning down the highlights in the background; right now, the background has more contrast in values than the foreground does, and as a rule of thumb you want to make sure that the most important aspect of an image is the one with the widest range of values and the sharpest contrast.

A couple of elements of this image stand out in a somewhat distracting way - the wand in Gardevoir’s right hand (our left) is a stand-out brown, a color that’s not present anywhere else in the image. Generally, using a hue that’s not present anywhere else in your image makes the element of this hue stand out strongly, and given that the wand is small and not the focus of the image (Gardevoir and her magic spells read as the focal points), I would recommend treating the wand with whatever color correction you did to Gardevoir, so that the wand has similar purple overtones to its wielder. The red triangle in Gardevoir’s left-hand spell has a similar problem. It’s an extremely saturated red in an image where pure red simply isn’t otherwise present, which means that the eye is automatically drawn to it. In comparison to the blue orbs and purple background surrounding the triangle, it’s jarring. A simple color change could fix this - making the triangle white, blue, or the same green as the sigil at Gardevoir’s “feet” would help it to tie in with the rest of the image.

Composition and Flow.
    I’ve already discussed this a bit where it relates to color and quality, but flow is important, especially when you’re trying to edit seemingly unrelated images together into one coherent whole. For the most part, especially considering that you’re working with Pokemon models - which are, themselves, a weird blend of a cel-shading-and-outlines cartoony style and full three-dimensional figures - you’ve done well. The color edits mentioned above really help Gardevoir to go together with its environment.

It seems to me that you’ve gotten the hat, wand, and magic sigils from either the same source or from similar sources; these elements of the image all flow really well together with the exception of the wand’s color issue. However, these elements do not match Gardevoir stylistically. This may be a bit “above and beyond” where you were aiming, but placing some sort of outline around the wand and hat would help them go together with the Gardevoir who’s meant to be holding and wearing them. Selecting the wand and hat, expanding your selection by a pixel or two, and color-filling black or a very dark color on a layer beneath the wand and hat would be a quick and efficient way to do this, though you may have to tweak it as you go.

One thing I really enjoy about this image is the way you’ve worked in the lighting effects; I know I mentioned them above, but it bears repeating on how this helps Gardevoir go together with the magic surrounding it. Having these pillars of light coming from the sigil, only to be cut off into sharp cast shadows by the contours of Gardevoir’s body, really helps sell the idea that Gardevoir is being lit from below by a source of deep magicks. The geometry of the magic circle is a bit visible below Gardevoir’s skirt, which shouldn’t show; erasing that and replacing it with light coming from the circle’s border would solve this issue nicely.

The forest image that you picked goes really well with this image; there's a nice clearing for Gardevoir to be standing in, and the fact that the vanishing point of it falls very close to Gardevoir helps cue the viewer to the fact that their eye should be drawn "inward", toward Gardevoir. It also gives the impression that there could be more to the woods than we see, which fits in well with the ominous, magical atmosphere of Gardevoir.

Conclusion.
    This is a really cool edit, and where the colors work well, they really work. It could stand to be revised a bit so that the whole image flows together a bit better, especially where the wand and the sigil in Gardevoir’s hand are concerned. Overall, I feel like you’ve earned Easiest rank ($5,000). This is a cool idea with interesting color usage, and given that this is a thread, I’m really curious to see where you’ll go in the future in terms of image editing.
    @W32Coravint;

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,246 (0 Banked)

Thanks for the curation! I agree that yeah, Gardevoir itself looks kinda out of place in terms of artstyle. I'll see what I can do with regards to realism in my next pic, but for now I'm satisfied with this.