User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner Capture Quest: Kaiko (Chasm Arrival)

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,655 (0 Banked)

For a perilous moment, Azu gave Kaiko a dubious look. What was the point in attacking a Pokemon that had already been roughed up? However, despite her sweet appearance, the Marill possessed a bit of her Trainer’s pragmatic streak, and she could tell that this was important to her Trainer. She clapped her front paws together and gestured Stufful forward with her tail; when Stufful walked over to her curiously, she immediately began to scuffle with the little plush bear. Stufful squealed in surprise, obviously not expecting Azu to be so harsh. With a squeal, Stufful wrested itself out of Azu’s noogie-giving grasp, then took off down the street, its ears and tail low.

[Azu used Play Rough! Stufful lost 5 HP!]

A chuckle emerged from the Scraggy, who was munching down the peel of the berry. The man rolled his eyes, but smiled as he said, “Thanks for that. A lot of strays think that just because I have understandings with wild ‘mons like this one,” he gestured to Scraggy, “that I’m just gonna throw free berries at ‘em.”

He put the apricorn he was working with away, seemingly satisfied, and pulled out a new one. “Name’s Kenjiro. You can think of me as something like a talent scouter - like I said, I’m not fit to fight in competitions myself. But I have money and supplies enough to back up strong Trainers who’ll make a good investment. Looking at your team, I’d say you have a fair shot at beating the Shi in a fair fight. ‘N’ say what you will about Hamada, he fights fair.”

Kenjiro paused for a moment, inspecting the apricorn he was whittling. “Mind, I don’t want to invest in you without seeing you in action.” He and the Scraggy watched Kaiko intently. “If you’re willing to show what ya got, this might be the start of a valuable partnership, even if it only lasts long enough for me to get a return off my bet on you being able to beat our Shi.”

Encounter Stats
    Scraggy | Level 6 | 27/27 HP - Watching. Always watching.
    Stufful | Level 4 | 11/23 - Sufficiently chased off.

Team Stats
    Azu/Azurill/Female/Level 18 - 70/70 HP/Holding Silver Berry (Pragmatism)
    EMs: Dive, Surf, Whirlpool, Waterfall.

Fiyuro/Carvanha/Male/Level 5 - 18/25 HP (Discipline)

Items
    Net Balls (x3)
    Sitrus Berries (x2)
    Pecha Berries (x3)
    Wacan Berries (x3)
    Silver Berries (x1)

Rolls
    20, 2 (Apricorn on 2), 6; Blue Apricorn (drop will be received later).

@Lychee;

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,961 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

((OOC: Yo! Could you put my black apricorn from before into the items list? I’m worried I’ll forget it otherwise!))

Kaiko smiled a little as the stufful ran off, but it was nowhere near as satisfying as beating up the mankey. She wasn’t sure whether that was because the fight was fairer then, or that it lasted longer and was more violent. Somehow that interaction just felt …unfulfilling. Still, she would try not to let it show. Kaiko gave Azu a thumbs up, and her eyes flicked back over to the man, scrutinizing him.

”Oh, so that scruffy little monster is wild, then?” Kaiko asked, raising an eyebrow. This not being her home territory, she didn’t actually know the names of all the creatures here. It was a hypothetical question though- she didn’t need him to confirm it twice.

”Beating the shi?” Kaiko repeated, turning over the phrase in her mouth. Surely THAT would be a more satisfying fight than simple street scuffles. It could be worth doing of its own accord, even if Kenjiro wasn’t there to invest in it. Her expression showed she was clearly thinking about the offer.
    When he called for further confirmation that she could fight, Kaiko balled her hands into fists. She hadn’t given her name, but she was so annoyed that people here would also treat her like a kid, that she wasn’t going to even offer it yet.

”Look, Kenjiro, you asked me to beat up a tired stuffed toy already, and I’m not here to just scare off pests.” She scowled at him, uncaring of whether he would bet on her outcome or not, now. ”Unless Chasm kua really is as pathetic as they say, I don’t think beating up ownerless weaklings is going to help me beat Hamada” Her voice dripped with challenge and disdain, spitting out the word ‘chasm’.
    She crossed her arms.

”I don’t want your help. What I want, is that pokemon .”
    She knew she didn’t have to ask- throwing a ball right there might have worked. Yet, this was a negotiation. A bluff? Maybe. Definitely a place where intimidation was key- she had seen the mankey fluff themselves up and stand with chests out, and she was practically doing the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,655 (0 Banked)

((OOC: Whoops, sorry about that! The Black Apricorn is listed now.))

As Kaiko’s tirade continued, Kenjiro’s eyes narrowed; the girl’s insults had clearly irritated the man. “Every battle won is one step closer to greatness,” he said, his voice tight with irritation. “And in the Chasm Kua, we fight for what we want.”

He set his whittling things down beside him, glancing at Scraggy as he did so. The little lizard Pokemon was grinning fiercely, red crest raised, as if it enjoyed being fought over.

“I can’t stop you from claiming this Scraggy, if it wants to go with you,” Kenjiro continued, dusting his lap off, his movements completely unhurried. “But I’ve spent a lot of time bonding with it, and I don’t want to give it up easily. I can freely give you a battle you’ll remember against a couple of my newer recruits.” He reached into his cloak and pulled out a pair of hand-carved Dusk Balls.

Two small Pokemon emerged from the balls. The first was a bear cub with white fur; ice crystals dripped from its nose. It took up a battle stance, bearing stubby claws and spitting frost from its soft, round muzzle. Its beady black eyes locked on Kaiko.

The second Pokemon was a little less aggressive-looking, but no less intimidating. It looked like a simple dog at first glance, but the ruff of white fur that stood out against its tan coat was studded with jagged stones. Its brown-tipped ears and fluffy white tail lifted warily as it sized up its foes.

“Defeat Masaru and Ceiko, and I’ll respect your claim,” said Kenjiro. A small crowd was gathering, attracted by the sight of a Trainer loosing Pokemon, but Kenjiro and his Pokemon remained focused on Kaiko and her party.

Encounter Stats
    Scraggy | Level 6 | 27/27 HP - Seems to be enjoying this.
    Cubchoo | Level 7 | 31/31 HP - Spitting ice to look intimidating.
    Rockruff | Level 8 | 32/32 HP - Watching carefully.

Team Stats
    Azu/Azurill/Female/Level 18 - 70/70 HP/Holding Silver Berry (Pragmatism)

Items
    Net Balls (x3)
    Sitrus Berries (x2)
    Pecha Berries (x3)
    Wacan Berries (x3)
    Silver Berries (x1)
    Black Apricorn (x1)

Rolls
    82, no drop.

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,961 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

”So this is the way we’re going to do things, then?” Kaiko narrowed her eyes at Kenjiro, firing back at defiant glare. ”Fine.” She stated, and her eyes flicked around at the crowd. This would have been much easier if everyone hadn’t been watching, but now that she was here there was no backing down. That would be weak.

Having never really been in a pokemon battle before, much less a two-vs-two, Kaiko wasn’t actually sure where to start. She hesitated for a few seconds, trying to formulate a strategy. A thought crossed her mind- did Chasm have some sort of rules or regulations on their fighting? Was it supposed to be one versus one? Did they have a creed or a code they went by?

Because Squall didn’t.

”Azu! Fiyuro! Lets Surf!” She called out, grinning, stepping back hard onto a plank of wood and flipping the front part up slightly. There was water nearby, so she figured it might not be as much of a strain as normal. Plus, the added advantage of flooding the marketplace might disperse the crowd.

She readied herself for a surge of water- it was something that would probably put everyone at a disadvantage (except for Kaiko, because she COULD actually surf), and both her pokemon combined could potentially create a massive wave. Kaiko was about to be in her element, and she felt a rush of adrenalin, almost glee. She was testing out new limits to her pokemon and herself, and the excitement was intoxicating.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,655 (0 Banked)

The crowd shrieked with surprise as the river quite abruptly burst its banks. Fiyuro and Azu worked in tandem; the Carvanha sent the waves surging up from the river, while Azu channeled them into a whirlpool of water that swirled into the square. Creaks and squeaks erupted as crates cracked beneath the force of the waves. The most force, however, hit Masaru and Ceiko. The Rockruff let out a howl of pain as she was swept off her paws; the Cubchoo rolled with the blow, but she managed to blunt some of the water’s force by freezing some of the water and holding back the block of ice she’d made.

[Azu and Fiyuro used Surf! Rockruff lost 16 HP! Cubchoo lost 9 HP!]

Kenjiro muttered a curse and staggered backward, nearly tripping over the bench he’d just been sitting on. Scraggy leapt to his shoulder with a cheerful chuff and clung to him, grinning gleefully. Kenjiro glared at the little Pokemon. “Laugh it up,” he grunted. “If I didn’t have a point to prove, I might just let the kid take you for being such a smart one.”

He then glanced at Kaiko, balanced on her wooden board. “Masaru! See if you can use that block as a raft and follow the water!” The little bear nodded, pulling herself up. The water was starting to recede, but there was still wave enough to ride. “Now, hit the stronger one! Use Avalanche!”

Ice surged from Masaru’s jaws once more; the frost changed the falling tide of Surf into a surge of icy shrapnel. Shards of ice scraped across Azu’s sides, and as a final gesture of defiance, Masaru hucked his ice board right at Azu. The Marill let out a cry of surprise and pain at the battering, but she didn’t seem terribly hurt.

[Cubchoo used Avalanche! Azu lost 5 HP!]

The tile of the square was still slick with water, but most of it had begun draining back to the river. Fiyuro had jetted upward with his Surf and now flopped next to Azu; the pair of them were in close quarters to Masaru, who hadn’t been able to get far after his ice-surfing stunt. Ceiko still looked battered, panting from apparent pain, but she was starting to recover.

“Masaru! Pin that fish down with Powder Snow! Ceiko, do the same to the Marill with Rock Tomb!” Masaru’s paws lifted as he prepared a new attack; Ceiko stumbled forward, a ring of bright white orbs forming around her raised nose.

Encounter Stats
    Scraggy | Level 6 | 27/27 HP - Perched on Kenjiro’s shoulder.
    Cubchoo | Level 8 | 25/34 HP - Preparing a point-blank Powder Snow.
    Rockruff | Level 10 | 16/32 HP - Getting ready to do her best impression of a trebuchet.

Team Stats
    Azu/Azurill/Female/Level 18 - 65/70 HP/Holding Silver Berry (Pragmatism)

Rolls
    4, 2 (Apricorn on 2), 3; Black Apricorn (drop will be received later).