User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: *Beginner's* URPG League

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,591 (0 Banked)

It sounds reasonable, especially if there's a critical mass :) I think the extra prize 'value' should depend heavily on how the Novice Champ is selected, how long they serve for, etc. I think the position needs turnover of some sort, and I like the ideas of either succession (victor becomes new champion) or seasonal, where a novice champ serves for ~6 months and then graduates, and a 3v3 grand novice tourney is held to determine the next.

Sounds like I'm missing out on fun in Discord though - can I get a direct message with the link to join it? I finally opened an account.
    Resurrected stats (still under renovation!):
    http://forums.petalburgwoods.com/sho...3-Evan-s-Stats

URPG StaffAce Member ModeratorAdministrator Elrond's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,614 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by evanfardreamer View Post
    It sounds reasonable, especially if there's a critical mass :) I think the extra prize 'value' should depend heavily on how the Novice Champ is selected, how long they serve for, etc. I think the position needs turnover of some sort, and I like the ideas of either succession (victor becomes new champion) or seasonal, where a novice champ serves for ~6 months and then graduates, and a 3v3 grand novice tourney is held to determine the next.

Sounds like I'm missing out on fun in Discord though - can I get a direct message with the link to join it? I finally opened an account.
    Make a post over here and someone with that power will send you an invite!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,614 (0 Banked)

As always, please see this post for an up-to-date summary of our progress on this project.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've come to a consensus on some requirements for league eligibility:

1. To battle Advanced gyms, you'll need 6/8 Novice gyms.
    2. To battle the Novice champion, you'll need 8/8 Novice gyms. Beating the champion is therefore NOT required for challenging Advanced gyms.
    3. To battle the Elite Four, you'll need 14/18 Advanced gyms.

The last question under this topic is, what prize should beating the Novice Champion earn?

It seems fitting that a person who defeats the Novice champion should earn a Pokemon of some kind. What rank does everyone feel is appropriate?

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,821 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    As always, please see this post for an up-to-date summary of our progress on this project.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've come to a consensus on some requirements for league eligibility:

1. To battle Advanced gyms, you'll need 6/8 Novice gyms.
    2. To battle the Novice champion, you'll need 8/8 Novice gyms. Beating the champion is therefore NOT required for challenging Advanced gyms.
    3. To battle the Elite Four, you'll need 14/18 Advanced gyms.

The last question under this topic is, what prize should beating the Novice Champion earn?

It seems fitting that a person who defeats the Novice champion should earn a Pokemon of some kind. What rank does everyone feel is appropriate?
    I would go with Complex or Demanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,591 (0 Banked)

I like Complex or Demanding - I think Complex would be more suited in the long run. If everyone who took a run at it walked away with Silvally after 3500 in rare candy, it might mess with overall power creep. I don't actually have a clue how effective something like the Porygon line, or Silvally, or Volcarona would be in competition though.

How difficult do we expect the novice Champion battle to be? If on par with the E4 I would vote Demanding, if somewhere between veteran gym lead and E4 I would vote Complex.
    Resurrected stats (still under renovation!):
    http://forums.petalburgwoods.com/sho...3-Evan-s-Stats

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,492 (0 Banked)

Hard or Complex. Probably Complex.
    urpg

[18:11] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) nitro, you in here?
    [18:11] Nitro: hello
    [18:12] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) knew there was another cool guy in here

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,614 (0 Banked)

I'd like to take a minute to synthesize some notes from the past couple of days.

Prize for beating the Novice champ

We had some discussion on the type of prize the Novice champion should give out. It seems that most people are in favor of allowing a winner to choose any Pokemon in the Demanding rank or below. There are a few, however, who have argued that the prize Pokemon should be no higher than Complex rank. For reference, the only Pokemon that would be restricted under that rule are Kangaskhan, Scyther, Porygon, Absol, Riolu, Munchlax, Rotom, Larvesta, Honedge, and Type: Null.

It seems there are two arguments in favor of restricting the prize to Complex or below:
    1) Battlers who are already experienced could simply battle the Novice champion right after its creation and earn themselves a strong new Pokemon with little effort.
    2) Those Pokemon serve as attractive incentives for players to participate in other sections, like Stories, Art, and RP, since they are hard to obtain elsewhere.

Meanwhile, there are two arguments in favor of allowing Demanding Pokemon as a prize:
    1) The number of restricted Pokemon is so small it almost doesn't matter.
    2) Since this would only be claimable once per player, it is not open for abuse except by current players who have already made badge progress.

There has also been a suggestion that it might be useful, and relevant to the purpose of the Novice league, to offer some kind of item bundle as part of the prize (in addition to the Pokemon).

As a compromise, I suggest that we notionally set the prize at any Pokemon, Complex or below, with 5 EMs, and a bundle of 5 competitive items of the player's choice (non-mega stone). I'll post this suggestion on Discord to gather more opinions. Would everyone be comfortable moving forward with this type of prize? (Remember that things can be adjusted later.)

8. Likes Lychee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,492 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    As a compromise, I suggest that we notionally set the prize at any Pokemon, Complex or below, with 5 EMs, and a bundle of 5 competitive items of the player's choice (non-mega stone). I'll post this suggestion on Discord to gather more opinions. Would everyone be comfortable moving forward with this type of prize? (Remember that things can be adjusted later.)
    This thread dead as hell but I got u: This is a good idea.

Lean towards fewer EMs/items, that looks to be even more than stuff like Gym Tourney (iirc the tourney that gives out the best in prizes) or similar tourneys in other sections give out. Granted, Novice Champ is not a recurring event, but it feels like a lot. Beating Novice Champ will probably end up being an impressive accomplishment, but not so impressive that it should establish a precedent of giving out ten free things with a Complex Pokemon.
    urpg

[18:11] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) nitro, you in here?
    [18:11] Nitro: hello
    [18:12] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) knew there was another cool guy in here