User Tag List

Thread: [Cash] Rapidash bard

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,004 (0 Banked)

Default [Cash] Rapidash bard

I wanted to have armor to put on my Rapidash for the Onmyo RP, and since now I like to put the pokémon, inventory and all that stuff in the RP posts, I made an amored model for fun, without ever thinking about submiting it as Art. But some people said I should, so it ended up turning into this spritesheet because a single edited model would be too lame, so there you have it.

P.S: Btw, this thing is supposedly Easiest rank. I don't know if I had to put the rank or if that's the Curator's job after rating it...
    Last edited by Rick; 02-26-18 at 08:09 PM.

URPG Stats: (Zetaboard / Weebly)

2. Likes Lychee, Fabled liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    665 (8,967 Banked)

oi some practical design meets art let's go

claim

Also, I just want to say that the curator determines the rank for cash pieces so no worries!
    Last edited by juliorain; 03-06-18 at 02:14 PM.

Img Made by Morru/Mako

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    665 (8,967 Banked)

I think this might be a wild ride fam! ~~I made a pun~~

I want to say thank you for participating in the URPG art section! It is great to new blood newcomers get absorbed in making pokemon art. Everyone knows you're a fan of Rapidash and you have made some armor for it.

Design works like these aren't held to the same standards as say a drawing. The focus isn't the artwork itself but a visually simple demonstration of what something is. Which is fine in its own regards since you're still giving us visual information. It is practical in nature--you're using this to map out all possibilities of what your rapidash could look like wearing each combination of armor. For someone wanting to arm their fiery unicorn with armor and optimize their movement, the artistic qualities wouldn't matter.

However, you did submit this to an art section. So it looses its practical purpose and becomes art. Which is kinda cool, but if you want to treat as an art work, I think a few elements within needed to be taken into consideration a bit more closely. For instance the three boxes needed to have been centered otherwise it looks a little unconsidered.

I'm a little confused as to why you have at the top the gen 5 sprite decked out as well as the later gen 3D models. It seems like due to the differing proportions that you would have to redesign each piece to fit. It is evident to me that the gen 5 model only serves a purpost to introduce the concept. In fact, I'm not sure why you boxed off your Rapidash gif with the full armor. I guess to keep it visually continuous with the two other boxes beside it. I think your rapidash gif is the best thing on there and deserves to be on its own line! That way you don't have too many boxes competing for the viewer's attention.

I wish you had drawn the armor a bit larger, as it is hard to tell, especially since I am not quite an expert on horse armor technology as you are. I would have loved to see the little details you considered for rapidash like the horn or holes for its fiery mane/or on its back.

Grids can be annoying to make, are visually simple, and get the message across in an orderly fashion. If you follow each of the models downwards and to the left, you can tell that you were really considering how intensely armored the Rapidash was. I would be really upset if you just randomly arranged them and called it a day. Following a pattern is good! It allows both the viewer and artist to follow their visual story.

Your background color of mustard is appropriate; anything else would be incredibly distracting and keeping the background white would be plain and it would be hard to see Rapidash's body (since it is offwhite). The yellow is a warm color which doesn't interrupt the reading too much. Good choice.

However, I am not a fan of the bold Arial script, and I think you could have chosen a more visually interesting font in a dark grey rather than straight black. It is jarring and serves as an easy-to-read, practical purpose, but I think you can figure something else out and try to design the font to match the idea you're presenting. It is clear that you were considering other fonts as evidenced by the italicized "by Rick" which suggest you were going for some sort of elegant feel and look. I think you could have carried that through to the rest of the design work, even if it meant that you sacrificed some readability.

For someone who is ignorant to the possibilities of the craft of equestrian armor, you did tell a fun visual story, and I learned a lot just from looking at your models. I think that you could have considered the design elements a little more such as the heavy black boxes and title. I think you were going for practical rather than beautiful. I'll award you 5 K which is a simple rank because that gif took some work, and under the pretense that you'll consider the overall design more next time.

Img Made by Morru/Mako

Steel Soul Design TeamURPG Staff K'sariya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,623 (0 Banked)

Claiming for re-curation c:

Steel Soul Design TeamURPG Staff K'sariya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,623 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I wanted to have armor to put on my Rapidash for the Onmyo RP, and since now I like to put the pokémon, inventory and all that stuff in the RP posts, I made an amored model for fun, without ever thinking about submiting it as Art. But some people said I should, so it ended up turning into this spritesheet because a single edited model would be too lame, so there you have it.

P.S: Btw, this thing is supposedly Easiest rank. I don't know if I had to put the rank or if that's the Curator's job after rating it...
    Hi, Rick!

I think that Julio’s curation had some great points on the page’s layout, but didn’t include any curation on the spritework itself. I’m here to do that part now--apologize for the wait!

I just want to start off with how awesome it is to see some pixel work in the art section--I think that pixel art is incredible in the way that we can make tiny squares represent such complex things. It really is an art form that relies on the tiniest of details, so we’ll be taking a closer look at the complexities of what you’ve created!

I love the variety of pieces and fittings you’ve created here. They give the feeling of not only a complete set, but also a versatile one that you can change for any occasion.

Delving into the pixel work, I think that your main problem with this one is contrast between segments of armor when they’re equipped on the Rapidash. You have a “standard” semi-dark blue for the shading--it’s the same color that you have on the empty space inside the “empty” parts of the armor in the inventory sections. You use it so much that it’s almost the base color of the armor! My advice is to use a darker blue to really drive home the darker, shaded parts, and where shadows would be cast where the metal overlaps.

This is a very quick example, done it Paint at work, but here’s an example that I made of applying a little darker accents on the body armor (the post sizes the image down, removing the model from its "real" size, so you might have to drag it to a new window and view the full-sized image):

I took that base dark color you have and brought it down a few shades, and outlined some of the darker parts of the armor--notice that I did it pretty sparingly. This will help differentiate these pieces from each other when you zoom out to the usual size. Always zoom out frequently when you’re working on pixel work--I could tell the divisions when I zoomed in, but the zoomed-out version will always be what other people will look at!

Adding darker lines throughout will also help match the model’s default black outlines. They look sort of ungainly, contrasting very heavily with the general light shading of your armor. Matching the model will help make it look more like the armor belongs on the model!

Another place that this would help is the knee guards. You have a great attempt at showing how they curve around the joint. The darker space beneath the gem gives the impression that it’s raised up from the lower parts, but the lack of contrast makes it seem the same as the rest, which flattens it. Drawing a darker line to show where exactly that metal creases to rise up would be a great way to add contrast and depth.

How a color looks is always relevant to what it’s next to. This is shown best by things like the checker shadow illusion. A and B are the exact same shade, but the shades they’re next to make them appear very different. You can use this technique, too! Here’s an example of how to use this contrast to define different armor pieces. I’ve made another shitty using-Paint-at-work-with-a-mouse drawing to highlight this exact technique they used to obtain contrast. Paint saved the colors…. Terribly. What are you even doing Paint. Hopefully it still gets the gist.

By alternating colors in this way, it makes both the lights look lighter and the darks look darker than they actually are. It’s a great trick, one that your pixel work could really benefit from!

I really, really appreciate how intricate your metallic shading is! Metals are incredibly difficult to draw--they reflect light in this strange, amalgamous way and in the most abstract of shapes. It takes a certain type of free-handing to mimic metal, and you’ve done that incredibly well. When I looked at this, I immediately recognized it as metal, and that’s difficult with sprite art.

You could also do with some contrast on the light orange spots. They seem like accented gems, but they’re so minute and flat that it’s difficult to tell! If they’re raised accents, try putting some darker lines on their left sides to really set them and their shinier bits apart from the darkness behind it. You’ve put a little bit of darker shading on them for realism, but when you zoom out, the 2:1 ratio of darker spots to lighter muddies the brightness of them (if they’re gems). Feel free to create what looks more convincing on the zoom-out--that’s how it’s intended to be viewed.

Your individual pieces all look fantastic together. The only exception is the shaffron--the rest all have this wonderful, complex metallic shading, but the shaffron only has what looks to be three colors, total, and that’s it. Notice how flat and out-of-place it looks next to the rest inside of the “Armor” box. I would love to see more complex shading on this to match the others. Like Julio said, I’d also love to see considerations for the anatomy factored in, like a hole for the horn. You have an abrupt, unshaded ending on the gif--that joining could use some attention!

On the non-contrast side of color, I think it might be generally just a bit too blue. While definitely a great metallic color, I think that some warmer highlights would benefit it. Keep some of the blue, especially in the deeper and darker shadows, but try to factor in how being next to fiery orange and being on a beige mount would reflect on this shiny surface. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a bright orange, either! The contrast technique I talked about earlier works with color, too; warmer spots of color will look more or less warm when put next to cool colors, so if you try it and it looks too gaudy, you can always shift the highlight colors in warmer or cooler directions, then zoom out to see how the eye perceives it!

Did you have some sort of base model for the armor? These are great pieces, and the stylistic difference from the shaffron in the rest just makes me wonder.

Overall, if this is completely original, you have some amazing pixel art. I’d love to see more from you--this was great to dig into and curate. If you make some contrast changes on these pieces, make the shaffron match stylistically, and work on clarifying the depth with the tricks I mentioned, I’d be completely happy to bump this to a Medium and offer you an extra 5k. Work on it a bit and we'll see!