Thread: [JAN] Pageantry

Talk Is Cheap
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    108 (630 Banked)

Default [JAN] Pageantry

Target is Cubchoo at Medium, I guess.
    Something something Ice Queen.
    There's a lot I need to work on here, I'm just not sure how to fix it. There is some stuff I over-painted-- by which I mean, I painted it too much and it looks too refined, not enough like a painting.
    This was supposed to be a circular stage, in front of a surrounding audience, but I couldn't get the seats or crowd right. Nothing I tried worked out right.
    I couldn't figure out how to represent Beartic's, err, loincloth... in 3D space, with light and shadow. I ended up referencing something else fluffy, but it didn't really lend itself to broad-strokes painting.
    For the first time since joining in 2014, I'm actually looking for some tips on the art. There's a lot to work on here.
    Pageant Beartic sub1.jpg
    "Because it's always been this way" should never be an excuse to maintain a broken system.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,735 (8,967 Banked)

Claimalaim

What medium did you use since you said you painted it? It looks like a digital painting

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,735 (8,967 Banked)

HIIIIIIII JULIO IS BACK TO CURATION.

Paint is a fickle medium. It can be wild yet controlled. Love it. I can't tell if you're working in acrylics, oil, or tempera so I can't give you more specific advise. However, I am glad that you have attempted real paint which can get costly--especially for for opaque paints (acrylics, oils, and tempera). Transparent media like watercolor are definitely more affordable, so cheers on taking the risk.

On your painting:

There is a nit picky about your presentation. Try to use an external hosting site like imgur when posting your work. Keeping them as file attachments makes the images super small which makes it harder to look at the details of your work.

That being said, your work is very simple. We have our focal point beartic right in the center, so we know it is about him. The other ice and water type babies are clearly dwarfed by him. This makes me wonder why such a fully evolved pokemon is competing with babies. Did it evolve after winning. The precarious text, "focus" implies that he is wearing a focus sash. Did he wear that to get 'focused' on his performance because clearly the beartic would crush his competition in battle.

The rendering (i.e. how well you painted) tells me that you have an eye for form, shadow, and light, which is really good! Not many people care to even bother with shading at this rank. You captured the solidness of the stage and the solidness of the bear. You did capture the nuances of shading whites with light grays of the same hue. The basic, yet balanced composition tells me you're up to something. I do have some nit pickies about shellder (and maybe I was hindered looking at it with the small image) is that its eyes are 100% white, which is generally a no-no. In media like black and white drawing you can get a away with completely white eyes, but in painting, you can't and makes them look a little weird. Spheal's eyes could use some reflected light; they look black holes that contradict the smooth rendering of its shape.

One thing I wish I could have seen more is you telling us where they were. I get that they were on a stage in what I'm guessing a contest hall. Just some more details would make that work glow even more. The abstract background is ok and even in paitning you can block in some shapes that can suggest architecture. You can get away with it being a little less rendered due to them not being the focus of the composition. I think the DS games have spoiled us in gen VI only because the 3DS couldn't handle immersive backgrounds.

However, being a medium painting, the level of rendering on your subjects has impressed me enough to approve of this work. Painting can be a challenge to work with not only with developing the scene but because of the physical manipulation of the paint can be difficult (and if youre working in tempera or acrylics know that they dry too dang fast!). Cubchoo captured!

This also qualifies for the monthly theme of Jan.

Img Made by Morru/Mako

4. Likes Lychee liked this post
    Talk Is Cheap
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    108 (630 Banked)
    "Because it's always been this way" should never be an excuse to maintain a broken system.

6. Likes Lychee liked this post
    Talk Is Cheap
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    108 (630 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by juliorain View Post
    Claim
    Above is the link to the larger size, I forgot to edit the post

Talk Is Cheap
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    108 (630 Banked)

You seem to have curated under the impression of it being a physical painting when it was, in fact, digital. I'll claim with the stipulation that if you want to re-curate and reconsider with that information shared, you can give me a Fail grade later.

But I'll claim, I do doubt that'll happen.

I would still like tips on how to render the pelvic-fluff in paint (digital paint, even.)

Also I think the Medium reward for monthly theme is... +5k? I think?