User Tag List

Thread: Magnum Opi and Fancy Kindling by Master Artist Liam

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    5,842 (0 Banked)

Default Magnum Opi and Fancy Kindling by Master Artist Liam

This Gallery is where I present to the world the attempts of "art" I have procured and prepared. Enjoy these slabs of chalk, drawings, and models as they bask in the tears of the trees used to make them!

Curated:
    Mimikyu Mimic You Pichu!

Uncurated:
    Peaceful Pyukumuku!

Last edited by Surfer Liam; 04-07-18 at 03:55 PM.

--><--
    ^^^Click the Pyukumuku for my URPG Stats^^^

Mako | Morru 07/27/2017
    Marlon is literally @ Liam

2. Likes Smiles, Mako liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    5,842 (0 Banked)

Mimikyu Mimic You Pichu!
    Spoiler:

This little guy is all ready and gung ho for his adventures of the night, trick-or-treating, dressed up in a simple, yet adorably frightening Mimikyu! How meta!! I used chalk to sketch out and color the Pichu in costume and then took a photo of the entrance to my house (yes my real entrance) around Halloween and then cut Pichu into the photo-- attempting to do a kind of cartoon-in-real-life kind of effect.

Proof of work, here:
    Spoiler:

Pokemon: Pichu

This was entered in the Halloween Art Contest.
    Last edited by Surfer Liam; 12-23-17 at 03:15 AM.

--><--

Mako | Morru 07/27/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    5,842 (0 Banked)

Bergmite Bathtime!
    Spoiler:

This tiny tyke is happy playing around with his little Titanic toy in the bathtub-- maybe a bit too soon for the tragedy, but nonetheless the little guy is having fun splashing around! He got some water on the floor, but let's be honest, that floor is a bit dirty and could use some washing. It's Christmas time, so the shower curtains have been switched out to the most gaudy, old, dingy Christmas tree and Santa patterned curtains. They don't need a good wash, they need a good burn by the yule log!

This was done by sketching it out with pencil, then colored with chalk, and outlined with charcoal. I tried to do some more shading with just chalk and it wasn't so bad with either Bergmite, nor the bathtub/floor, but I still used help from an online editor (Picmonkey) to help with some of the shading.

Proof is in the bottom right hand corner where I signed it!

Pokemon: Bergmite

Also going for the December theme of an ice type Pokemon!

--><--

Mako | Morru 07/27/2017

5. Likes Smiles liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,177 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer Liam View Post
    Mimikyu Mimic You Pichu!
    Spoiler:

This little guy is all ready and gung ho for his adventures of the night, trick-or-treating, dressed up in a simple, yet adorably frightening Mimikyu! How meta!! I used chalk to sketch out and color the Pichu in costume and then took a photo of the entrance to my house (yes my real entrance) around Halloween and then cut Pichu into the photo-- attempting to do a kind of cartoon-in-real-life kind of effect.

Proof of work, here:
    Spoiler:

Pokemon: Pichu

This was entered in the Halloween Art Contest.
    Claiming this.

7. Likes Surfer Liam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,177 (0 Banked)

First Impression.
    The contrast between the chalk Pikachu and photographed background really makes the little costumed mouse pop out! Thereís a bit of a Pokemon Go vibe just by sheer virtue of the whole ďPokemon that is clearly not realistic-looking appearing in the lower middle of a vertical photo of a real life environmentĒ thing, but right away itís clear that your Pichu and its cute costume are their own entity altogether!

Form.
    Iím gonna get this out of the way right now, this is adorable. Pichuís features are all there even beneath the Mimikyu mimicry; the little button nose, upturned closed eyes, and wide grin work together to create a very happy expression. Pichuís body language works with the face very well. Its upright ears and raised hands, combined with a strong expression, show that the little mouse couldnít be more excited and delighted. I also like what you did with the tips of the ears, creating a bit of a Ďpointí at the top to imitate Mimikyuís not-quite-right ears and emphasize the fact that this is a Pichu in a costume rather than a Pichu with a paintjob. I also really appreciate the inclusion of Mimikyuís cheek color; thatís a nice touch that shows care for the costume.

However, I feel that you could have shown the Ďcostumeí part of this a bit more thoroughly. Aside from the ear tips and the rough hem of the costume, very little of this shows that Pichu is wearing a fabric costume. Showing some seams, folds, bunched-up fabric, or maybe even patches could all work together to convey cloth texture. This would be especially good around Pichuís arms, where the fabric would bunch up near the shoulders due to Pichu lifting its paws in the air, and where lines would show beneath the arms due to the aforementioned bunching. There could also likely be some folds near the neck and feet. The neck area is where the torso widens, so the shoulders would have bunches of fabric settling on the wider areas of the torso. By contrast, the bottom of Pichuís torso is smaller, and therefore, there would be some drape on the fabric that could create a few subtle lines. While itís not impossible to tell that Pichu is wearing a cloth costume, especially due to the ear detail mentioned above, I feel like a bit of added texture would really sell this without distracting from Pichu or its costume.

Normally, Iíd also critique the form for the background, but uhÖ not much to be done there! I do want to talk about how the Pichu and the background match up. I hope the Pokemon Go mention earlier didnít put you off. A lot of the time, PoGoís AR doesnít really look like the Pokemon could conceivably be in the physical plane itís ďsupposedĒ to be on; this one, however, looks like it should be there in terms of perspective. The view on the door and the view on the Pichu match up nicely, so Pichu definitely looks like it belongs. Pichu looks a bit big compared to the door, like itís the size of a small child rather than the 1í tall that official material claims; however, quite frankly, the Pokedex is whack sometimes and I donít think a teeny tiny mouse-sized Pichu would work for this piece. Really good job positioning Pichu in this physical space.

Color and Value.
    One of these days Iím going to be known as Velo ďwill not stop going on about shadingĒ Jello. HowEVER, itís a good and helpful thing! Thereís no shading on your Pichu, and while shadows and highlights arenít one thousand percent critical to every artwork, I feel like your Pichu would have benefitted from some shading. Mixed-media work is naturally disadvantaged in the unity department. Because your figure and your background are in different media, youíll want to do all you can to ensure that your figure looks like it belongs in this environment.

That being said, the colors that youíve used here are pretty good! I canít help but notice how bright red Pichuís cheeks are. In a piece thatís clearly set in a night environment, where most of the colors are blues, grays, and washed-out yellows, the red is a bit distracting, as it makes Pichu look like itís not part of its environment. A pink closer to Pichuís traditional colors would do the job of drawing the viewerís eye while still blending well with the rest of the piece. Other than this, though, youíve made a good use of contrast. Pichuís desaturated Mimikyu costume matches well with Mimikyu as well as the background, and the contrast between it and the reds and yellows of Pichuís face provide some stand-out contrast. Your photo of the background is also very good, with enough lighting to provide good contrast and visibility while still staying dark enough to invoke the image of an eveningís Trick-or-Treats.

Technique.
    More chalk! While there is a little bleed around the cheeks, this is noticeably cleaner than your Pyukumuku piece without losing out on that good soft blended pastel texture. Thatís really good to see! I approve. Thereís some slightly sketchy lines still visible, but I feel like they add to Pichu, here. Mimikyu is a rough, sketchy Pokemon, so a Pichu dressed as one should look rough and sketchy. Because the sketchy lines are consistent throughout Pichuís form, this isnít distracting or unity-breaking either; theyíre just a nice effect that bolsters that Mimikyu hashtag aesthetic.

Like I mentioned, the background is clear, with enough lighting to let us see while not going so bright as to make the viewer forget that this is a nighttime scene, which shows good photography skills. You did very well with both of your media independently; however, I would suggest working on blending them together. Apart from the shading and color business mentioned above, Pichu doesnít cast any sort of shadow - something that makes it look very separate from the background. Your porchlight should cause Pichu to cast a shadow toward the viewer, to emphasize the fact that Pichu is really in this environment. Otherwise, good use of blending the two. Thereís no weird, rough patches of Pichu that show through, and your photograph is good. I also genuinely like your idea. Itís not reinventing the wheel or anything, but itís creative and clever, and I think you executed your real-world-environment papercraft quite well. While I still think Pichu could look more like itís in its environment, this mixed media really makes it pop, which is awesome.

Conclusion.
    This was one I was a bit fenced about, mostly because the unity in this piece isnít at the level I feel it could be. Part of this was due to a lack of shading, something that isnít demanded at the Simple rank, but something that is definitely suggested. On the other hand, the mood of this piece, the use of media, and the clever idea behind it help you out a lot. In the end, Iím going to say Pichu captured. While the execution has room for improvement, you had a good idea for this piece - both in the uses of media, and in Pichuís costume - and your use of anatomy and technique for both of your media was strong. Go forth and continue coming up with neat ideas and refining your pastels, slay the great dragon of shading, keep being awesome, and enjoy your baby mouse!

9. Likes Surfer Liam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    21 (358 Banked)

Claiming Bergmite!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    21 (358 Banked)

One Bergmite curation as promised:

Spoiler:

Form/Detail
    The image itself seems balanced, as you have decent detail in all areas of the image. There is always something for the eye to look at, but you did not make the image overly busy and confusing. My eye does get drawn to the duck and shower curtain as they are very high color areas in this image. However the sharp lines of bergmite set it apart, as everything else in the image seems to have a softer appearance.

Color, Texture, and Shading
    In general everything seems to be in order. You have managed to separate bergmite through color variation, allowing it to be noticed in the overall scene. The shower curtain adds a fair amount of color contrast with the white and blues present throughout the piece, though their red and green in close proximity could be considered a bit jarring. Would have been nice to see some more variation between the floor, wall, and tub, as they are all a slightly off-white.Shading seems adequate, as bathrooms do tend to be well lit. Your shadows are good under the tub, offering up some nice darker colors. The one part somewhat lacking is texture. All your surfaces are smooth and fairly diffuse, offering up no specular highlights or exceedingly rough patches to differentiate between plastic or ceramic diffuse materials.

Pokemon Anatomy
    Bergmite does seem fairly recognizable. Your shading, while apparent, does seem a hair spotty as the dark spot seems somewhat randomly placed. The rough lines give the ice-type its signature faceted faces, though additional lines and rougher edges would give further credence towards the pokemon’s accuracy. The pokemon’s expression is likely the best part. Its sheer joy is shown via simple eye and mouth positioning, and it gives clear indication of how it feels. Allowing the emotions of the pokemon to show is something to aim for. If there are any other improvements to be had, I would possibly question bergmite’s mouth color. Something a dark blue or violet could potentially have been more in-character with bergmite’s color scheme, however i was unable to find any canon reference images one way or another. Just a thought.

Environment/Perspective
    First off, the inclusion of the miniature titanic is well played. I never would have thought to have bergmite playing with it as a subtle reference. A bathroom seems fitting enough for this pokemon, though whether its on ice or floating in the water seems a bit ambiguous due to the pokemon’s position. In addition the strange overflow seems too sharp. Is it meant to be a frozen overflow on the tubs part? Would have been nice to see more direction on what it is supposed to be, or have additional overflow icicles to better explain it. You did add in some puddles, but wouldn’t the two be closer to the edge as opposed to the feet, as they are well under the lip? Not sure if the water’s surface tension would keep it attached to the tub all the way down. The tiles seems a bit uneven, which is normally not the case for bathroom flooring. The duck picture was a good way to use up some of the empty space in this image, however it looked like a porthole at first to me, a frame or string to hang it could have helped define the feature better. As this is a very close scene, there isn’t much to say about perspective, though you did show it well enough with the floor tiles. Maybe a bit exaggerated, but it shows you thought about it.

Creativity/Effort
    It is a simple image, but it seems more to convey a humorous situation and has a decent sense of emotion. There were attempts adt populating the image with interesting objects and giving a story, while working on shading. Funnily enough, I found a similar image while researching bergmite references to curate this, so it seems to be a common, yet, enjoyable theme among artists.

Improvements
    I think the biggest improvement you could have done with this image would have been to add shading, texture, and color variation through highlights. The water would naturally add bright spots where it was hitting the floors, and giving certain objects more shiny materials soulc have added variation.

Results
    Honestly, its a nice little image, and a good attempt at the majority of the points i tend to look for. Have yourself a bergmite. You also matched up to the theme.

Last edited by Axion; 03-28-18 at 06:59 PM.

12. Likes Surfer Liam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    5,842 (0 Banked)

Peaceful Pyukumuku!

This is a re-do from a curation on BMG, so tagging VeloJello; for a recuration if you'd be so kind!!

Things needing improvement:
    + shadowing, not just pyukumuku but also the coral
    + elongating the coral to make them look more structurally sound
    + fixing pyukumuku's face to bring his mouth more inline with his eyes

Done with chalk, sketched with pencil first, outlined in charcoal, edited with a free online editor to get some of the shadowing and overlaying happening!

Before:
    Spoiler:

After:
    Spoiler:

Pokemon: Pyukumuku

--><--

Mako | Morru 07/27/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,177 (0 Banked)

Hey, @Surfer Liam; ! This is my first re-curation, so I apologize if it’s a little wobbly. Like with most re-curations, I won’t go into tons and tons of detail; however, you’ve made a lot of changes, so let’s discuss.

First of all, as the local hag banging pots and pans screaming “shade everything” in the streets of the URPG, I love what you’ve done with shading. The coral really benefits from it, adding that sweet little bit of contrast into the coral that makes it go from a piece of backdrop to a 3-D environment that Pyukumuku exists in. I see the places where you edited the coral, and they look really good. I wouldn’t have even known they were edited in if I’d only seen this piece first! The pipes on the brown and purple corals look much more balanced now, and the shadows on them help further ground them in reality.

Pyukumuku looks a lot nicer, too! While it is more clear to see that it’s been ‘shopped in this time around, the dark lines and colors help it to stand out much more than before. It’s clearly got light falling on it, with shadows consistently following your upper-left light source. Even Pyukumuku’s tail has a little bit of shadow on it, providing depth and visual variety. Pyukumuku also looks much more in perspective now. Its spikes have clear separations between each other, and the rounding that they each have at the bottom clearly shows that they’re rounded objects, rather than confusing the eye while seeming to run together. The new spike color also works better with this drawing, as it’s more saturated and vibrant than the red of the old drawing, which helps it to stand out from the red coral in the background. Also, how did it take me this long to realize that Pyukumuku looks like it’s got li’l cat ears?

I’ve said my bit! For using a vivid, vibrant, eye-catching palette to induce a relaxing mood and drawing a cute Pyukumuku dude (as well as creating and improving a detailed, interesting background, and doing great work with texture and now shading), I declare that Pyukumuku is captured! I genuinely loved seeing these improvements; that you put the time and effort into making this better, and it shows. Enjoy your sea cucumber!

15. Likes Surfer Liam liked this post