User Tag List

Thread: Struggle

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    15,878 (0 Banked)

Default Struggle

Is challenge a requisite for growth in life? Why or why not?

❤ MISTRAL IMMORTAL ❤

“Without freedom, there is no creation.” Ghost's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    281 (0 Banked)

I would say yes. The reason I say this is because in order to learn in life you need to have experiences and to then build from those challenges in life. What is life without a challenge and where is the growth if life growing up was lived stagnant. I believe we all need challenges to make ourselves better and to broaden our horizons respectively.

3. Likes Tactician Karina liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    8,307 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

I clicked on this thread not looking at the board it was in, and thought it had something to do with Struggle the Pokemon move, haha.

Anyway, I think there are ways to foster growth in life without struggle, but it's definitely a huge agent in that regard. Especially so if one overcomes them. In those cases there's a lot of opportunity for change (hopefully for the better), and with that change comes growth.
    you'll see how it's faded
    Elrond - Today at 1:43 PM
    stop it morru we all know ur fursona is a Houndoom crossed with a thestral

5. Likes Tactician Karina, Smiles liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,986 (0 Banked)

Define 'challenge.' Word choice is key; while I believe challenge is a necessary prerequisite for growth in life, struggle (as of 2018) is not. Struggle denotes an aspect of suffering to whatever action you're taking and is a weird thing we romanticize when we hear/see it in others, but would never willingly experience ourselves. Quick examples:

On a basic level, walking and developing speech as a baby are challenges you need to overcome to do a lot of things well in life. Doing your first push up is a challenge, playing the piano is a challenge, riding a bike for the first time down a hill as a crazy 22 year old girl trying not to hit your neighbors cars is a challenge

Sylvester Stallone was homeless when he pitched Rocky to executives. He had to work for free and then sell his dog to make ends meet. Now he's rich, but he struggled. Anything regarding civil rights was a struggle. J.K.Rowling struggled to get people to take Harry Potter seriously and only got published due to a huge fluke and a bit of luck. If I gave you the option to live through these scenarios without knowing the end result, how many people would say yes? You can go deeper than this (is suffering inherently bad???) but it's something to think about. everything else mako and verzerrung said i agree with!

7. Likes Smiles liked this post