User Tag List

Thread: Your thoughts on shinies

Merry Christmas & Happy New Years! Super Moderator Tactician Karina's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    8,816 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default Your thoughts on shinies

What is everyone's thoughts on shinies in general? Do you like all of the shiny colorings, or are there ones you really dislike (for any reason)?

For me I'm not really big on shiny Pokemon in general. In fact, I find most of them ugly! There are only very few shiny Pokemon I like, like Umbreon, Sylveon, Buneary/Lopunny, Gyarados, and, even though I don't like this Pokemon, Charizard for example are shiny colorings I do like. Otherwise for me they are ugly and sometimes on certain Pokemon lazy, like the ones that are only lighter or darker in color (Glaceon and Pikachu, for example).

So let's hear your thoughts about these shinies.

♥Fiction♥ URPG StaffAdministrator Smiles's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    15,386 (0 Banked)

I'm really interested, firstly, in the evolutionary function of the shiny form! In what ways would it have increased one's reproductive fitness to emancipate themselves from the EGG in a swath of sparkles?! Who would they have been blinding?! the mom? Would it have been a prophecy, in pokespeak, of future leadership or greatness? Would the shiny one have been destined to lead the pact away from extinction? Would they have been ostracized and mistaken for a different breed (ex: a shiny Haxorus whose shells are so dark they mistake her for an enemy Garchomp?)

For me, I think shinies add a neat additional feature to the game! The fact that they're so rare boggles my mind - why would they need to be at the insane rate they're at, especially considering all the Pokemon that are out there in the world... soft resetters for shiny starters are doomed! I also remember famed Pokemon hacks from places like Glitch City Labs that proclaimed that if you walked by Cerulean City's boardwalk exactly 513 times (or something similar), you'd find a shiny Mew! There's a lot of mystery and hype behind shinies, and I think that in itself, although there's no explanation of why they exist, makes it fun for players to hunt for!

I remember getting my first shiny non-gyrados in game. I was really shook! A shiny Buneary! It's pink and now I feel like I must incorporate it onto my team in some way!... It's neat for sure as a feature, but I don't obsess over it myself.

❤ MISTRAL IMMORTAL ❤

3. Likes Tactician Karina liked this post
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Years! Super Moderator Tactician Karina's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    8,816 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

That's really interesting! Especially in the first paragraph, I haven't really thought of how shinies come about for in-game lore. I would say maybe in some cases that it could be what the Pokemon is eating that causes a change in their coloring (like that one episode in the series with the island full of pink Pokemon), but seeing as shinies can hatch from eggs then it could possibly be something genetic?

Also funny story: my cousin when he was younger found a shiny Shinx in Diamond once, he told how he was confused about why it was yellow and he thought it was some glitch, I assume he didn't see/hear the stars upon encountering it. He didn't catch it since he shut off his game then restarted it, it wasn't until later he found out that Pokemon can have a different coloring (he's never played gen II so he never knew about the Gyarados in those games being shiny). Now he keeps reminding me how he regrets doing that lol.