User Tag List

Thread: [Cash] Sixty percent off

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    5,318 (0 Banked)

Default [Cash] Sixty percent off

COME ONE COME ALL. TO THE 60% OFF SA-
    oh. Its not that kind of 60% off..

Just a not-so-quick thing I made of my Pokesoul, Rou for AH.

This is a cash submission.
    Last edited by Sou; 12-01-17 at 01:07 AM.
    "Like the sea? Want to sail across the ocean to the end of days? Want to bring prosperity to the world?"
    Then Join Team Aqua in its quest to do just that!
    Click the banner below to visit our thread.
    You know you want to ;>

I mean... you get a cool banner after all! What's better then that? :)
    PokePet Box | URPG Stats | Wishlist

2. Likes Smiles, Seppe, ~Mako liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,058 (0 Banked)

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 60% off, but that won't stop me from claiming this piece!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,058 (0 Banked)

Rouís here!

Form and Style.
    In chibi format, which means that Iím going to go at this drawing from a bit of a different angle than I would for a more realistic-style piece. Like with most chibi pieces, youíve got a big olí exaggerated head and eyes, but thereís a reason the chibi style is so popular - it works. Rouís large head fills the space without being grotesquely unrealistic. Her eyes are big and therefore quite welcome, but not pushed so far that they look glaring or uncanny. Nice stylism is always great to see!

However, I do feel like you could have pushed itÖ not necessarily more so much as differently. One of the cool things about highly-stylized art like this is that itís a great place to show lots of expression! Rouís current expression is a little hard to read. Sheís smiling, but beyond ďgood moodĒ itís hard to tell anything about what sheís feeling with a small smile that doesnít quite reach her eyes. Is she cheerful? Flirty? Hiding the terrible horrors of war behind a smiling mask? This expression could be anything. Thereís nothing wrong with moderate emotions, but keep in mind the opportunity that you have to tell more of a story just by Rouís facial features. A smile like this can be pushed in size to show intensity, tightness of lips to show tension, interaction of eyes and brows to show how emotive your character is, and more!

Just because this is stylistic doesnít mean that there arenít still rules of anatomy to follow. For the most part, youíve done really well with that, though thereís a few areas that need tweaking. Rouís left eyebrow shows through her hair; I know thatís a common quirk of anime and chibi work but itís kind of jarring to just be able to see through her hair. Reducing the transparency of a hair-hidden eyebrow is common in chibi art, and if you want to keep the eyebrow visible I would recommend giving the lines a lighter color so that it doesnít stand out so much. Rouís ears and shoulders also donít line up - while Rouís head is tilted, the tips of her ears come up to the same height, making it look almost like her ears are different shapes. Thereís a similar problem with the shoulders. While Rou could be conceivably raising her right shoulder while her left rests down, theyíre both on roughly the same level, and thereís a confusing divot on Rouís right shoulder. Pushing her right shoulder up a bit would be a good way to make sense of this issue while still preserving the interest created by an asymmetrical pose.

Despite these critiques, I wasnít lying when I said youíve done a good job skirting the line between stylization and form. With the exception of Rouís ears, the head-tilt is subtle but well-executed; drawing a character on a slanted angle like that can be quite challenging. I also like the look of Rouís hair; thereís a bit of a difference between the big bangs that give her hair a fluffy feel and her slim, point-ended ponytail, but for the most part youíve done a good job implying lots of fluffy hair with just a few lines. One thing I want to bring to your attention is that because Rouís hair comes down in the back, the ponytail looks a little bit on the loose side, giving it an almost careless feeling. This isnít a bad or good thing, just one thing that I wanted to make sure youíre aware of when youíre styling your charactersí hair.

Color and Value.
    The colors are a major eye-draw on this, I have to say. The soft tones of Rouís hair and skin are really pleasing; her shirt breaks up the flow a little bit, but itís a good break. If the whole drawing was soft, gentle pastels, it would be easier for the viewer to get lost, but the dark colors of the shirt along with the darker areas of shadow on the hair help to ground the piece. Rouís eyes stand out in much the same way, since her irises are that same dark navy gray and the lines framing her eyes are black. That being said, I think you could have gotten away with giving her eyes some differently-colored lines. This pieceís major appeal is in being gentle without being so fuzzy as to lose the viewer, and having straight-up black is a bit of a shock. Rouís collar and bust have a dark outline thatís not-quite-black; going to a similar tone without dropping all the way down to black for Rouís eyelashes and pupils will help conserve that gentler look while the dark tone will still make this a focal point. I might also change the color of Rouís noseís outlines. The value is pretty solid, but I would shift the hue on it to be just a little more red. Other than this, though, youíve done a really good job balancing your values - most of this piece has mid-to-light tones, but youíve introduced enough darker tones with the shading and shirt that the viewer doesnít get lost in the other tones. Similarly, your hue variation is pretty dang good. Within the principle hues of navy, purple, and peach, youíve created enough warm-cool light-dark variety that your palette is unified without being monotonous.

And speaking of shading! You did some really good temperature shading here; all of the shadows change in hue as they grow darker in value. Thereís a little bit of inconsistency with the shirt becoming slightly warmer in value as it gets darker, though; I would definitely correct that. As a general rule, unless youíve got some super wild light sources and weird environmental factors at play, your shadows and highlights should always consistently grow warmer or cooler with each change in value. Youíve also stumbled into the unfortunate trap of pillow shading. This guide gives a good visual to go along with the explanation, but to summarize, pillow shading is a blanket term for the effect you get when you shade with an inconsistent light source, usually referring to art where the darkest values are on the outside of the figure and the lightest values are on the inside for no discernible reason. There are places, such as Rouís hair and right below the tops of her bangs, where it looks like the light is coming from above. However, the rest of Rouís bangs and her chest seem to imply that the light is coming from in front of her. With a light source, consistency is key.

A couple of things Iím still wondering about - what are the red thing on our right and the triangle on our left? The red thing (an earring, Iím guessing?) sticks out pretty obviously but itís hard to tell why itís there or what it is. Similarly, the cheek triangle sticks out just enough to be noticeable without contrasting enough to be properly visible. Far be it from me to discourage detail, but when you do add it, make sure to be clear with what youíre trying to communicate!

Technique.
    Personally, Iím most in my element with digital illustration. And you seem to be in your element, here, as well! Iíve already talked a bit about your lines in the context of colors; now, letís talk about them in the context of your style/methods. I noticed that youíve made use of line weight on Rouís bangs, which is awesome! Showing those lines tapering off really makes the whole thing smooth, and making the lines inside Rouís front bangs thinner shows that the hair there is less thick and fluffy than the hair in the rest of her Ďdo. Thereís some of this weight in Rouís eyes, to a lesser extent. Her eyelashes are thinner than the rest of the lines on her eyes, but theyíre thick rather than tapering, so they look big and fluffy. It would be nice if your line weight extended to Rouís ponytail - the ponytail is very thin and logically the lines within it seem like they should be thinner and even more tapered than those on Rouís bangs, but they just abruptly stop, which gives the ponytail a weird unfinished look. Youíre doing well with line weight already, but if you keep the style throughout the whole piece, your art will look much more unified.

You did a lot of neat stuff with the blending here, contrasting the soft blends of Rouís hair and skin with the hard lines that form her eyes, her bangs, and some of her shadows. This semi-lineless style is very interesting to look at. Itís good at guiding the eye and showing off details without the hard Ďpunchí of outlines. I would recommend bringing these stylistic choices into a little more of an agreement, though - either making your lines a little softer or your softer areas a little harder. The soft blur standing out against the lines is good, but right now it jumps out so much that the soft shading on Rouís chest and the hard shading on her hair look like theyíre from different styles altogether.

For lack of a better term, your shading reasons are pretty consistent - cast shadows have hard edges, whereas the shadows in more rounded areas generally have softer edges. This neat little addition shows thought on your part; nice touch.

Conclusion.
    This piece gets a Simple ranking from me, so you can claim $5,000 for it (though Iím afraid that due to the lateness of the curation, mission points are moot; sorry about that ^^í). A lack of background is the major thing holding you down at this rank, though I still would like to see you push your style a bit in the future. If youíre going to stylize, milk that for all itís worth in terms of emotion and impact! Also be careful with pillow shading - or as I call it, the Ďeighth deadly siní. Other than that, though, youíve created a very nice piece thatís good to look at and has a lot of interesting style and color choices going for it that make it pop. Great job!