User Tag List

Thread: Chillin' With Dad

Draconic Lorekeeper URPG Staff Dash's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    5,695 (0 Banked)

Default Chillin' With Dad

First time trying art in quite awhile. Should apply to the theme for June in two ways, namely for Fathers, otherwise for Summer.

Pokemon: Poliwag
    Spoiler:

2. Likes Seppe, ~K'sariya, Smiles, Jack, WinterVines, Mako liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    5,548 (0 Banked)

claiming
    "Like the sea? Want to sail across the ocean to the end of days? Want to bring prosperity to the world?"
    Then Join Team Aqua in its quest to do just that!
    Click the banner below to visit our thread.
    You know you want to ;>

I mean... you get a cool banner after all! What's better then that? :)
    PokePet Box | URPG Stats | Wishlist

4. Likes ~Dash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    5,548 (0 Banked)

First Impression:

Can’t get much cooler then chilling on some buoy while wearing sunglasses with your dad! A pretty chill scene if you ask me, which is sure to get a pretty cool grade by the end of it. Okay I’ll stop haha, but this is a super cute image depicting a poliwag and his dad just hanging out in what appears to be a swimming pool. Without further ado, lets get to it!

Form:

Generally, the first thing i look for is whether or not I can tell what the pokemon is without having to look up any of its reference images or art. Needless to say, your poliwag checks out with its sunglasses for extra measure~! Poliwag is a simple pokemon, consisting moreorless of a spherical shaped body with two legs and a long tail fin protruding from its main body. You got that down in your depiction on top of drawing the spiral shape on its belly, rounded mouth and glasses covering what would be oval shaped eyes. So there is no doubt you got its form hands down or should I say feet down since it has no hands? haha. No really, I'll stop.

Anyway, on top of your poliwag you have included a politoad to go along with this image, fitting in with the father’s day theme for that month. Im enjoying the pose you have politoad in for this scene, adding a bit of comedy to it holding what appears to be a soda in its hand. Not only that, but you managed to capture all of politoad’s details as well, which is fantastic! You’ve done a great job in capturing both of these pokemon in a unique setting and pose.

Background/Foreground:

Your background is pretty self explanatory and simple and thats fine for this type of art! Most of it is comprised of this circular pool the two pokemon are relaxing in while kept afloat by their buoy’s. I can tell where the end of it is and where the water sits inside of it. If you had wanted to populate the scene anymore, I would have suggested adding some bubbles in the water, lines depicting the movement of the water and playing with the values in it. I’ll discuss value’s more in the section for technique.

Another thing you could have done was add straight lines to connect the ‘white’ ends of the pool to make it look like the pool was made from say, something like brick or you could have added a pattern along the outer edge of the pool such as this. The other cool thing is having a pattern on the bottom of the pool. Water is generally translucent and clear so usually you’ll see through it to the bottom in pools. As this is a simple however, you don’t need to be terribly detailed, but knowing these things now will be good to know when you hopefully challenge harder ranks. All in all, a nice background fitting for this image, great work!

Line:

The lines throughout the image are generally very solid and clean. I can tell where everything else and where parts end and begin from subject to subject to background. What I really liked was that you used pencil instead of pen or marker to depict the parts of poliwag under the water, which leaves me really impressed! Objects underwater are generally less clear, so that decision really brought a hint of realism to the scene.

Technique:

You’ve incorporated a good amount of techniques in your image and I daresay, you’ve improved since the last image of pidgey I saw! I'm glad to see you have moved on to using color and that you attempted to create sections where there is light and where shadow exists. The locations you’ve chosen for these shadows shows that you understand what creates them and shows a lot of promise as you continue to do art. Your coloring is pretty neat for the most part, but if you want to brush it up a bit, i definitely recommend looking into cross hatching, which while a great technique for shading with pencil, can be used to color cleanly with color pencils. Just do so lightly or outline your shadows beforehand so you know which areas need to be colored darker then the others. You can do the same for any areas with highlights. Other techniques involve using different colors to create your shadows, but that can be talked about at a later time.

For now, I want to focus on what you have here. Ive talked about your coloring technique and how to improve on it a bit for future images, but i also want to mention that areas beneath a pokemon are generally shaded, so say, beneath Politoad and Poliwag, you could make the water a bit darker in a somewhat vague shape of either of them. That way it looks like the pokemon is casting the shadow based on where the sun is located, which brings me to another thing. For future higher ranked pieces, its great to make a note or a mental note where you plan to have your light source. If you want it to be from the right, you have to prepare for where the highlights and shadows will be placed accordingly and so on and so forth. It’s alot and most of this may simply be taken as advice you use for your next piece. Which brings me to the last point regarding values. When shading, there tend to be different 'levels' of shadows and highlights. The further away from the light a subject is, the darker the shadow. For example, a flashlight placed over the top of a rubber ball will create a dramatic highlight on top of it. However, the closer to the surface you look, the darker the shadows become until reaching the shadow its actually casting on the surface, such as the example in this image.

In any case, you’ve shown a lot of improvement here as well and I hope to continue to see you improve in the future.

Overall:

To finish it off, I feel you did a wonderful job with this scene and I hope to see more from you in the future. I hope what i have said helps you or at least gives you something to think about. With that said, Im going to score this a 40/35, so your poliwag is captured!

This also applies for the monthly theme, so feel free to claim your 2k for this!
    Thanks for your patience!
    "Like the sea? Want to sail across the ocean to the end of days? Want to bring prosperity to the world?"
    Then Join Team Aqua in its quest to do just that!
    Click the banner below to visit our thread.
    You know you want to ;>

I mean... you get a cool banner after all! What's better then that? :)
    PokePet Box | URPG Stats | Wishlist