User Tag List

Thread: Alterations to Character Counts

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,357 (0 Banked)

Default Alterations to Character Counts

SOME BACKGROUND
    Sorry, this isn't a "surprise lols we're re-tiering Minior and Cosmog" joke thread. Eventually, some systems become outdated and need a little tweaking to match the modern era. Particularly, it's come to our attention that character counts for the Stories sections are outdated. Posts, not characters, used to be the initial metric for story length, as older forums had limits of 10,000 characters per post. Even after years of forum edits and that limitation eventually being removed, the Stories section continued to use a character-based metric to assess length/effort in a story.

In hindsight, though this was necessary for the Stories section to function, especially when our main hub, PE2k, still had character count limits on posts, we've found this to be somewhat restricting and confusing to newcomers, who often measure story length in words, chapters, or even less tangible metrics. Story length is a guideline, not a rule; longer stories can always fail and shorter stories can still pass.

As such, we've chosen to migrate away from this model and into some new and exciting stuff!

CHARACTER COUNTS 2.0
    Graders as a whole have spent years trying to figure out what it means for a story to be "good enough". Raw emotion, tightly-written plots, and beautiful description are all exciting elements in a story that aren't conveyed through a quantitative character count. At the end of the day, a good story can be any length. Determining quality through length is unrealistic. Even Pokemon Fanfiction can be subject to the warm-fuzzies. Rejoice!

!!

But Ely, you say, glancing at the absurd length of this thread, what are you using instead of character counts? Understandably, there will be some sticking points as we move to the new system of: CHARACTER COUNTS 2.0. Lol, you say, but what's the difference? Let me tell you.

So instead of counting characters, like Twitter, we'll now be counting characters. Having three-dimensional, fleshed-out characters is ultimately the biggest indicator of the quality of a story. In this vein, graders will now be assessing how many well-developed, dynamic characters are incorporated in your work. This in turn will be used to determine what Pokemon you are eligible to capture, based on the following scale:

• There are named characters in the story: Easiest-rank/Simple-rank
    • Having some level of character description in a story: Medium-rank
    • Really beginning to pick up the pace here, with well-described initial characters and hints at an arc: Hard-rank
    • Even more character development, with at least two characters in strong focus: Complex-rank
    • Arcs of dynamic development for at least two characters: Demanding-rank
    • Dynamic development, pivotal character hinging, and substantial change across at least three characters, including antagonists: Merciless-rank
    • Stupefying work: Stupefying-rank

FINAL NOTES
    read the first letter of each non-bolded sentence tbh
    i was gonna make a joke about spelling it out for you but my head hurts from acrostics

2. Likes Seppe, Smiles liked this post
    some day, my dream will find me Super Moderator Mistral's Avatar
    In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    20,004 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Bullshit.

4. Likes ~Elysia, Smiles liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,357 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Bullshit.
    Dear Mistral,

Although we strive to intake all feedback that we receive, I'm afraid I don't fully understand your concern here. Your voice is valued and I'd love to hear your opinion, but I'd really benefit from a more constructive/critical approach than just this one word. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure what to do with this. My suggestion would be having a more elaborate post about your feelings here?

6. Likes Mistral liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    465 (0 Banked)

Ely, I'm afraid I'm going to have to retroactively fail {valence} because there is only a dynamic arc for one character. Please return Rotom to your local Pokemon Repossession Agency at your earliest convenience.

♥Fiction♥ URPG StaffAdministrator Smiles's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    13,667 (0 Banked)

SO excited for this new challenge!! I'm going to need a coffee first. @Seppe; don't get lost this time o:< <3

❤ MISTRAL IMMORTAL ❤

9. Likes ~Elysia, Seppe liked this post