PokeBucks
    14,410 (0 Banked)

Default Dependence on Technology

How dependent are you on technology?

❤ MISTRAL IMMORTAL ❤

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    913 (0 Banked)

If it weren't for checking e-mails and work purposes, I can live without laptop/smartphone/TV/internet for days ;)
    Soundcloud Profile: Ascension Drive

3. Likes Tactician Karina liked this post
    ♥Fiction♥ URPG StaffAdministrator Smiles's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    14,410 (0 Banked)

I like to think I'm not dependent on tech but that's complete JUNK LOL

This part of the world lives on an online platform and plane - you need your computer to work, to write papers, other technology like a phone to log into something and pay your bills, etc etc. I should have prefaced the thread slightly more - not in the case of, "can you basically live off the grid" but more so "how much joy / light / etc do you derive from your technology and does it shape your life to such an extent that you would have been a radically different person without its influence?"

On a base level, my collective memory is stored here - my notes have shaped how I think, what sticks to the paper versus solely in my head, and the file manager on this prolly parallels or bolster how I think as a human. Maybe my processing isn't so different from what's on here after all!

But no matter what I'd say I do depend on technology - I need to know what's happening in the world, what my friends thousands of miles away from me are doing, what the latest update on this medical advancement is, etc etc. Once you've gained that knowledge, I don't think it's so easy to strip away. Everything at your fingertips.

In terms of pure consumption, I can only run or ride a bike by myself for so long. Talking to friends or being with real people - that's a different story. But my books games etc everything are all online too... I'm imagining hand-writing one of my stories (I do a lot of brainstorming in a paper journal) all by hand and my hand's cramping up at the thought lol

I like innovation, I like cutting-edge stuff, and maybe I just don't want to think of it as dependence, but as transformation.

❤ MISTRAL IMMORTAL ❤

Wannabe Moderator Tactician Karina's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    8,384 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Same as Reyzadren, my manager sends us e-mails to let us know of changes that might be happening with our hours etc., along with me paying bills and using the bank online mostly.

Non work and personal reasons though, sometimes. I always have exercise, television, movies, games, etc. but like you said you can do those things for so long (though with my exercise I do that every day anyway, unless I can't on certain days). I do use the internet for enjoyment with forums, YouTube, fanfiction, and other games; there is also news articles I like to read if I didn't watch the news on T.V. for the day.

Overall I'd say half and half, definitely need it for work and other personal reasons, but I can not use the internet for a couple days if I wanted unless I get pretty bored.

6. Likes Reyzadren liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,902 (0 Banked)

i work from my laptop and more importantly my music is here so its kinda important to not be homeless humming bad 80's ballads