User Tag List

Thread: K'sariya's Art Hoard

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,892 (0 Banked)

Default K'sariya's Art Hoard

Might as well create some sort of centralized art hoard since I plan on doing this somewhat often.

works!
    1. Storm-pider - Medium Capture - April Theme!
    Last edited by K'sariya; 04-29-17 at 10:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,892 (0 Banked)

storm-pider!
    april theme: rain!

target: dewpider
    intent: capture!

Spoiler:

3. Likes Fabled, ~Mako, ~Elysia, Smiles, Zolar liked this post
    URPG Head Judge URPG Staff Mako's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    7,641 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Claiming storm-pider for curation.
    Gold | weirlind120 - Today at 2:53 AM
    Mine is Red and large
    !!URPG WISH LIST: Up to date December 2017!!
    Elrond - Today at 1:43 PM
    stop it morru we all know ur fursona is a Houndoom crossed with a thestral

URPG Head Judge URPG Staff Mako's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    7,641 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Sidenote before I begin: Really sorry this took a month and then some, I have no excuse other than life and stuff. Didn't forget about this or anything like that, just haven't had either will or time (or both) to get to it until now. Oops.

CURATION - 'storm-pider'

A lone Dewpider braves current and rain in this stormy scene, effecting an atmosphere of power, and at the same time, unease. I think it's fair to say that I'm in a unique position when it comes to giving you a first impression for this piece, given that I watched you just about halfway through finishing it; witnessing an artist's process directly definitely adds another dimension of insight when handing out critique. It was a pleasure to watch you work, and satisfying to see everything come together.

While the concept is a relatively simple subject-environment situation (i.e. Dewpider in a storm), there's no discounting the complexity of its execution, and it's evident in your progression towards the final outcome that you have quite the talent! It shouldn't come as a surprise now when I say that my first impression for this piece -- unfinished or otherwise -- is one that's on a positive note.

Now let's talk details. I'll be dividing first the piece into its foreground and then background elements before discussing its composition as a whole.

The foreground is composed appropriately enough of the Dewpider, serving as the piece's main object of focus, and the stretch of water.

It's always a good sign when the focal object is immediately recognizable, and doubly so when it's also the Pokémon you're going after (as is the case with most capture submissions for URPG art), and I can say you've done just that with Dewpider. Although there's some things that I feel could use some improvement, you did a great job at pinning down Dewpider's general form.

The neat stuff first -- I simply love your brushwork on Dewpider (and on the rest of the image, as a matter of fact; more on this later). Good sense of motion in your strokes, which, combined with proper shading, gives a certain solidness to your details best seen on the Dewpider's mouth, the lower half of its midpiece, and on the joints of its arms and legs. The colors on it are spot on and muted just enough to show it being submerged, so props for that too.

My favorite thing about the Dewpider, however, is the way you handled its water bubble. We see the bubble still part of the water, just before it breaches the surface, allowing for a clever visual without breaking the plane on which we see the scene as being underwater. The highlight on the bubble itself really rounds it out, and the rain's tiny collisions with it are a nice touch.

Now to mention some areas on the Dewpider that I feel need a little more work. At a glance I think the major issue I have with it is that its face looks a bit flat. The shadows are there, of course, but the main color stretches on its own enough that I think it could stand to have another shade on it or two. Part of it I think is that you left out the crease on Dewpider's forehead as seen on official media, and that you've painted its head spherically as opposed to being ovoid, which would call for more shading due to having a larger surface area. That said, the left headspike looks a bit stickered on and could also do with some shading underneath. The shading under the right eye I feel should be stronger too. I'd like to make it clear that these are the only instances in which I felt the shading was lacking; everywhere else your shading is well placed.

The remaining issues I have with the Dewpider are minor things that can be fixed easily enough with some polishing here and there. First are the irises, which I think should be more defined, especially the left one. The contour of the Dewpider's lower body/abdomen needs smoothing out towards the end. Lastly, there's a few places where highlights go outside their boundaries (such as on the upper half of its midpiece, where the highlight juts into its face; and on the right arm, where the highlight seeps onto the arm behind it), so be mindful of that. Hopefully this didn't come off as nitpicky! Those aside I still think you did justice to this Pokémon well enough.

The rest of the foreground is dominated by the water, which is excellently painted. Horizontal strokes are broken up by stronger diagonal ones seemingly mimicking the rain above, and the use of light and darker tones is really soothing. At the surface you make good detail with subtle waves. The way you did outlines on the bubbles is an interesting choice; they're a bit rougher and sketchier than what I'd expect of a bubble, but this level of roughness is one that's permissible under the style established by the rest of the image.

As for the background we have an appropriately gloomy sky, filled with less than cheerful clouds. I saw how you made the streaks of rain and I appreciate the consistency of it in terms of direction. The end result is one that's powerfully heavy with motion. I only wish you made the lightning a little more conspicuous since it gets lost easily against the rain, though the highlights on the clouds help with that. Still overall a solid background that pulls its weight and sets up the lighting for the rest of the image well.

Finally we get to my thoughts about the piece's overall composition! On the whole I think you did a great job with this submission; it's simple yet dramatic, using motion and lighting to capture the feeling of a storm. The contrast of blues and greens below versus dark grays above draws in the eye to the Dewpider, which appears undeterred by it all.

The piece in its entirety outweigh its flaws (most of which are minor to begin with) so I have no trouble awarding this submission a 50. That's a pass, so you get your Dewpider (finally)! Definitely fits the bill on Rain/Storms too, so claim your April Monthly Theme cash ($5,000) as well!

You know how to reach me if you want to discuss more on this curation! @K'sariya;
    Gold | weirlind120 - Today at 2:53 AM
    Mine is Red and large
    !!URPG WISH LIST: Up to date December 2017!!
    Elrond - Today at 1:43 PM
    stop it morru we all know ur fursona is a Houndoom crossed with a thestral

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,892 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Sidenote before I begin: Really sorry this took a month and then some, I have no excuse other than life and stuff. Didn't forget about this or anything like that, just haven't had either will or time (or both) to get to it until now. Oops.

CURATION - 'storm-pider'

Spoiler:
    A lone Dewpider braves current and rain in this stormy scene, effecting an atmosphere of power, and at the same time, unease. I think it's fair to say that I'm in a unique position when it comes to giving you a first impression for this piece, given that I watched you just about halfway through finishing it; witnessing an artist's process directly definitely adds another dimension of insight when handing out critique. It was a pleasure to watch you work, and satisfying to see everything come together.

While the concept is a relatively simple subject-environment situation (i.e. Dewpider in a storm), there's no discounting the complexity of its execution, and it's evident in your progression towards the final outcome that you have quite the talent! It shouldn't come as a surprise now when I say that my first impression for this piece -- unfinished or otherwise -- is one that's on a positive note.

Now let's talk details. I'll be dividing first the piece into its foreground and then background elements before discussing its composition as a whole.

The foreground is composed appropriately enough of the Dewpider, serving as the piece's main object of focus, and the stretch of water.

It's always a good sign when the focal object is immediately recognizable, and doubly so when it's also the Pokémon you're going after (as is the case with most capture submissions for URPG art), and I can say you've done just that with Dewpider. Although there's some things that I feel could use some improvement, you did a great job at pinning down Dewpider's general form.

The neat stuff first -- I simply love your brushwork on Dewpider (and on the rest of the image, as a matter of fact; more on this later). Good sense of motion in your strokes, which, combined with proper shading, gives a certain solidness to your details best seen on the Dewpider's mouth, the lower half of its midpiece, and on the joints of its arms and legs. The colors on it are spot on and muted just enough to show it being submerged, so props for that too.

My favorite thing about the Dewpider, however, is the way you handled its water bubble. We see the bubble still part of the water, just before it breaches the surface, allowing for a clever visual without breaking the plane on which we see the scene as being underwater. The highlight on the bubble itself really rounds it out, and the rain's tiny collisions with it are a nice touch.

Now to mention some areas on the Dewpider that I feel need a little more work. At a glance I think the major issue I have with it is that its face looks a bit flat. The shadows are there, of course, but the main color stretches on its own enough that I think it could stand to have another shade on it or two. Part of it I think is that you left out the crease on Dewpider's forehead as seen on official media, and that you've painted its head spherically as opposed to being ovoid, which would call for more shading due to having a larger surface area. That said, the left headspike looks a bit stickered on and could also do with some shading underneath. The shading under the right eye I feel should be stronger too. I'd like to make it clear that these are the only instances in which I felt the shading was lacking; everywhere else your shading is well placed.

The remaining issues I have with the Dewpider are minor things that can be fixed easily enough with some polishing here and there. First are the irises, which I think should be more defined, especially the left one. The contour of the Dewpider's lower body/abdomen needs smoothing out towards the end. Lastly, there's a few places where highlights go outside their boundaries (such as on the upper half of its midpiece, where the highlight juts into its face; and on the right arm, where the highlight seeps onto the arm behind it), so be mindful of that. Hopefully this didn't come off as nitpicky! Those aside I still think you did justice to this Pokémon well enough.

The rest of the foreground is dominated by the water, which is excellently painted. Horizontal strokes are broken up by stronger diagonal ones seemingly mimicking the rain above, and the use of light and darker tones is really soothing. At the surface you make good detail with subtle waves. The way you did outlines on the bubbles is an interesting choice; they're a bit rougher and sketchier than what I'd expect of a bubble, but this level of roughness is one that's permissible under the style established by the rest of the image.

As for the background we have an appropriately gloomy sky, filled with less than cheerful clouds. I saw how you made the streaks of rain and I appreciate the consistency of it in terms of direction. The end result is one that's powerfully heavy with motion. I only wish you made the lightning a little more conspicuous since it gets lost easily against the rain, though the highlights on the clouds help with that. Still overall a solid background that pulls its weight and sets up the lighting for the rest of the image well.

Finally we get to my thoughts about the piece's overall composition! On the whole I think you did a great job with this submission; it's simple yet dramatic, using motion and lighting to capture the feeling of a storm. The contrast of blues and greens below versus dark grays above draws in the eye to the Dewpider, which appears undeterred by it all.

The piece in its entirety outweigh its flaws (most of which are minor to begin with) so I have no trouble awarding this submission a 50. That's a pass, so you get your Dewpider (finally)! Definitely fits the bill on Rain/Storms too, so claim your April Monthly Theme cash ($5,000) as well!

You know how to reach me if you want to discuss more on this curation! @K'sariya;
    Of course it's not nitpicking! Thanks so much, Morru! Claiming my adorable new spider and my $5,000! :')

7. Likes ~Mako liked this post