User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lychee Pictures!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,237 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    Another theme of Febuary is synergy and teamwork, duality and teaming up! I recently discovered Tsareena and Lurantis, and I think they look like gal-pals! Very different in style, but both humanoid, and grassy/buggy kinda types. They also both look so regal and sassy!
    Another fun thing i realized while doing this art was that they can have almost the same colours, just different amounts of each on each one! Their outfits are different styles, but yet coordinated! How fun!
    I used watercolour paint, white acrylic paint, and a black marker :)
    I know this probably isn't good enough to pass a Hard rank (though I'd love a Lurantis) so instead I'm pre-evolution aiming and going for a Steenee ~☆

Proof of work:
    Spoiler:

Finished Work:
    Spoiler:
    Clllaaaaaaaaim!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,237 (0 Banked)

First Impression.
    Ah, yes, my favorite - Gals Just Being Pals. Goofing aside, this piece is really exciting to me! Not only does it feature one of my favorite Pokemon (Lurantis 5ever), the colors are really striking, with bright greens and pinks that draw the viewer right in. I also really enjoy watercolors, and you’ve used them to create a very vibrantly-colored piece. Let’s talk galpals!

Form.
    Lookin’ pretty good, here! All of the main features for Tsareena and Lurantis are here - even the antennae on Lurantis, which I flat-out forgot about until I went and looked up an actual Lurantis pic for this curation. Despite both Pokemon having relatively complex designs with a lot of moving pieces, nothing is missing on them, and the placement is great. Good work.

Let’s go ‘mon by ‘mon for the nitty-gritty details and start with Tsareena. One thing I notice is that Tsareena’s… neck sock…? is given the appearance of being three-dimensional, actually coming off the head slightly on our left. That’s a great detail that’s hard to see on Tsareena’s official art but definitely there, and keeping it in your piece helps to add depth to Tsareena and reinforce the fact that the… whatever-it’s-called is part of Tsareena’s body, rather than being markings. The pose is what I feel could use the most work here. It’s very close to the official pose, which is something that you may want to watch for future works and higher ranks. Furthermore, Tsareena’s official-art pose is meant to show it off solo. The way it lays its hand on its hip, foot cocked and arm sweeping to one side is meant to imply a sassy, effortless elegance. This Tsareena’s pose is more subdued, which makes sense for a nice, peaceful painting of two Gals Just Being Pals, but Tsareena’s reaching hand is confusing. Is she reaching for Lurantis? If so, she’s not quite reaching it, and Lurantis doesn’t seem to notice. This posing is somewhat confusing, but I feel like it could be worked on a bit to visually depict the friendship between Lurantis and Tsareena that you’ve mentioned. Furthermore, I know that Tsareena’s legs are absolutely nonsensical canonically (seriously I’ve drawn them, I have no earthly idea what’s going on there), which means that translating them into original works is difficult. However, Tsareena’s left leg (the one on our right) looks odd - I can’t tell if this is the thickness of the leg in front of it, but it seems like the bend is below where the knee ought to be. This makes Tsareena look slightly unbalanced. I know that you’ve been pretty conservative with your line-art and that’s fine, but I think that a line or a slight shadow where the leg does actually bend can clear up this visual confusion and make Tsareena’s leg look like it doesn’t have a low knee. Tsareena’s anatomy is downright weird, but you’ve done some pretty good work with it with your attention to detail. A little bit of polish would definitely cut these issues.

Your attention to detail is even more visible in Lurantis. Like I mentioned, I had completely forgotten about Lurantis’s antennae, but you’ve kept them. This may sound a little hypocritical since I forgot their existence, but the antennae do look a bit odd to me. Lurantis’s… head dot (seriously what is Gen VII anatomy) is longer than its green antennae in this picture, which doesn’t match up with official art and makes the antennae in your painting look like they’re part of Lurantis’s “ears”. This is a bit visually confusing; all I really have to say for this particular issue is remember your proportions. Other than that, you’ve pretty much nailed Lurantis, even with its many moving parts, so great job there!

One quick thing I would recommend is looking at how you crop pieces. More of Lurantis is cut off than of Tsareena. This makes Tsareena seem more important, and like the parts of Lurantis that aren’t seen are unimportant. Since this piece is supposed to be more balanced, it would make a bit more sense to center them both so that they share the space as equally as possible.

Color and Value.
    I thought a LOT about the use of black in this piece while I was curating it - which probably seems ironic considering how little of it there is, but color unity is always something that’s on my mind. Unlike all of the other colors in this piece, black is only present in a couple of places - even the yellow, which is less utilized in your color palette, is still spread through Tsareena, the grass, and the background, and it’s present all over the piece. My first thought on seeing absolute black is that it calls for darker colors; however, because there’s so little black here, I don’t feel like it’s as big a deal. If it had been included in larger sections of the piece, I would definitely say that some darker values are needed. However, I feel like the piece is grounded enough right now that it works. Overall, it’s very light, but there’s enough contrast between your darkest nonblack values and your midtones that it stays grounded. Since this painting is fairly simple and straightforward, there’s less demand for higher value variation. When going into more detail, I would encourage you to experiment with dark tones not obtained by using straight black, or to start with darker values, but for a simple, cartoony painting like this, having a small and straightforward selection of values works out.

That being said, I think you could have used some values in between your darkest and lightest tones and your midtones to help key features pop a bit. The shine in both Pokemons’ eyes is an excellent example of this. The dots of bright white in Lurantis’s and Tsareena’s eyes draw the viewer’s gaze in because there’s a heavy contrast between the white and the black/red of the pupils and irises. Lurantis’s antennae and Tsareena’s hair curl also stand out a lot, because they have nice, vibrant shadows. While the lighting is a little inconsistent (the shadows are to the left for the antennae and to the bottom for the hair curl), it’s really nice and visually interesting where it exists. Like I said, this palette works well enough values-wise, but I do think that adding just a little bit of shading (especially cel shading to go with what you already have) and some highlights to break up the larger sections of pink or green would help the Pokemon to pop out.

The hues you’ve got going here are awesome. Your palette is drawn almost exclusively from Tsareena and Lurantis’s canon color palettes, but you’ve made them gel together extremely well, something that takes more effort than going “one is green with some pink and the other is pink with some green, lol”. By painting a rosey-gold sunset as your background, you’ve bound pink as the major color while spreading out yellow so that the spots on Tsareena’s leaves don’t look out of place. You’ve also paid attention to Tsareena’s yellow by spreading it to the grass at Lurantis’s feet. By making the color of the plants at each Pokemon’s feet the other Pokemon’s main color, you tie both Pokemon together, emphasizing that these two are supposed to be seen as two parts of one painting rather than just coincidentally standing next to each other. You’ve used your hues wisely, and I really appreciate the harmony you’ve created in doing so.

Technique.
    Tad biased on this one - I’ve worked with watercolors before and the one thing I noticed about them was that they were incredibly tricky to keep clean, so I may be more impressed than I should be about the fact that you’ve had very little washout here. That won’t stop me from complimenting you on keeping this wishy-washy medium mostly clean, though! I can only see a few places where colors ran; Lurantis’s ear, Tsareena’s leg, and the left side of Tsareena’s hair are the only spots that stand out. If anything, you’re more prone to whitespace than washout - I see some blank spots around Tsareeena’s hair pattern. Watercolor is hard, but I can tell you’re exercising effort to keep it clean. Keep practicing and I’m sure it’ll get better; you’re already well under way.

A quick recommendation that has nothing to do with painting specifically but everything to do with the visual arts - presentation of work! I sympathize with not having a scanner or similar device to use, but there are workarounds for importing paper works to the internet without catching your hand and the rest of your sketchbook in the photo. If you can’t get a picture that only has your artwork on it without excluding pieces of the artwork, post-photo cropping is always an option. Most cellphones with cameras have this option built-in, and free digital art/photo-editing programs such as GIMP have this feature. Having this extra space doesn’t destroy the value of your work or anything, but it’s a tad distracting, and it’s something that you can fix with fairly accessible tools.

Conclusion.
    So, with all of this I’m gonna say Steenee captured, as this piece lives up to the Medium rank. There are places where it could be improved, such as Tsareena’s pose and the cropping of this photo, but your exceptional use of colors combined with good use of paint and otherwise strong ‘mon anatomy more than make up for it. Enjoy 1/2 of your Gal Pal duo, and I hope to see you and your wonderful watercolors at work in the future!

Bringing together these super pink Alolan Grass-type attack tanks already invokes the image of a pairing; the addition of the background tying the two together means that you’ve got a duo and synergy. You may claim an extra $5,000 for meeting one of the February themes!
    @Lychee;

3. Likes Lychee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    7 (302 Banked)

Claiming the Bug Bus next

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,074 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much velo and axion!
    Claiming Steenee and 5k, and eagerly awaiting claimed curations ~

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    7 (302 Banked)

@Lychee, I caught the curating bug last night

Spoiler:

Form/Detail
    One of the best features of this piece is its use of line. You have found a way to effectively box the pokemon within its own image, and your image and countertop perspective, though potentially somewhat exaggerated,help to draw the viewer back to your pokemon and the focus of the piece. You didn’t center Charjabug, which I think was a good move; placing it in the center would have created far more dead space at the bottom of the image, kitchen set pieces that had no bearing on the image. While there is not a lot of detail, it has enough to differentiate most of the core elements.

Color, Texture, and Shading
    I am noticing that many of your images like to use the cooler hues, the blues and greens to make the viewer feel more relaxed. You offset that with your wooden windowsill, a nice contrast to focus the attention there. I would have loved to see some more green variation in the background foliage. You do have some fair shading, the only spot where i would expect more is below the plate. It actually took me a while to notice the plate, I kept going back to the oddly colored line below the muffins, which I thought were resting on the windowsill at first. Now that i see it its hard to suggest ways to make it more visible though. Mosto f the items in this scene are relatively flat, so as far as texture goes there isnt much to poke at, though some variation could help future images.

Pokemon Anatomy
    First off, Charjabug is so goofy as a pokemon. But you managed to capture its essence fairly perfectly. He has this guilty face as if he just got caught stealing cupcakes, and its emotions show the story within the piece. Perhaps a bit too bright on the green, but I am guessing that mixing perfect colors can be difficult in watercolors (I never got beyond a kid’s basic understanding of watercolors). Other critiques here would be making the brown legs somewhat bigger, as compared to some of the canon images they seem larger than what you have portrayed; also potentially adding in some white highlights, as Charjabug’s carapace seems to be somewhat shinier.

Environment/Perspective
    I really like the environment in this image, with the kitchen windowsill and window itself both easily recognized, and having a decent amount of detail. I do see some bowing in your window frame, so straightening architectural lines like that is something to work on. The curtain also seems a bit blurry, though the pattern is still apparent, it gives some idea of shadows or fading due to aging. You even added lines to indicate the reflectivity of a glass pane. However, I don't see a lower pane frame, so is this window missing its lower frame? Since Charjabug seems to be climbing through an open window, I would expect to see at least the very bottom of the window creating a small rectangle right above the pokemon. The cupcakes are cute, but it seems as if the one currently being devoured has finer wrapper detail than the other two. Your greenery in the background lacks too much detail, but I think a better improvement would have been to use a shade that was different than Charjabug, as the pokemon could currently fade in to the background if you are casually glancing at the image.

Creativity/Effort
    I like how you took the age old concept of someone/thing stealing food out of the open window and made it your own. It allows for a unique story while still being something everyone would recognize fairly readily. I have to commend your linework with watercolors, as you managed to define the vast majority of the elements without too much running. The only spots I see specifically would be the curtains and Charjabug’s mandibles.

Improvements
    .The only spots i would point out is further differentiating your pokemon from the immediate surroundings and keep improving on keeping colors from bleeding/running like in the curtain. But overall, I say well done on a good image.

Results
    Honestly, I think it's a relatively clean image with some great shading and a cute story. Altogether it is more than enough for a medium rank. Charjabug caught (in the act!) Also, I think you met the theme this month, go ahead and claim it.

7. Likes Lychee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    7 (302 Banked)

Up next, Claiming Silcoon up there

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,074 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Thankyou so much Axion! I'll work on my colour selections and mixing more in future!
    Claiming Charjabug and 5k bonus! ♡

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    686 (8,967 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by juliorain View Post
    this is up next
    Hello, and I apologize for the delay in your curation. Here it is. Modelling clay is a miracle of modern chemistry—no need for glazing or firing and it is clean and tactile. Excellent for something small like your little amaura key chain.

I think working three dimensionally as an artist is a good thing because working in space forces the artist to think about the forms, rather than the bolded, flat, and black outlines of your subject. You’re also exploring many different media which another great aspect and I’d like to see you continue. It is evident that you took time and effort into making this little thing. Amaura is a hard rank capture, so I’m looking for all aspects of your work to be in line.

It is evident that you have made a small, keychain-sized amaura, and while the overall structure is ok, it’s the details that I warned you that will bite you in the higher ranks. Because your amaura is so small it becomes infinitely harder work at precise detailing. I think because of that a lot of features become fattened, in particular its neck and body. I can understand that pokemon proportions are illogical and often ignore gravity. Its neck requires much more support than what Ken Suigmori gave it. I’ll let that slide. I think you could have gotten away with smaller fan-eyebrows so that the neck wouldn’t bend in a weird way.

I’m a little upset about its legs: they’re stubs rather than functional things. I think you could have paid more attention to that a bit more; I understand that the final product might make longer legs easier to fall off, but you face a tradeoff: is it a functional object or work of art? Working so small I can tell you were forced to make that decision and it didn’t quite pay off for this rank.

I’m a little upset that you’ve basically copied the pose from its official artwork as I think a lot of the problems I stated above like the stumpy legs or fat body/neck could have been addressed if you changed its pose. It would work with gravity and you wouldn’t have to worry about something like the neck or legs falling off due to being so small.

The enclosure that you’ve placed your amaura is well considered thematically. The fluff is symbolic of snow, and is white which is good up to a point that I didn’t see the lower half of its belly my first glance at it. While it is certainly better that it isn’t randomly put somewhere and hope that the lighting would illuminate the details. However, when choosing background for a sculpture it is important that parts of the sculpture don’t blend with it, while also thematically relating it to the subject. Perhaps you could have made a construction paper background with a landscape with the cotton on the ground? Perhaps you could sculpt elements to go along with it? That was one idea; but I think some more consideration would help me read this work.

Now that does bring me to the next part, and I do think that since you were just experimenting or just wanting to make a key-chain sized object, I think that the size of your work limited you. I couldn’t really glean the size of your sculpture other than the little key ring in one of your example images. Having something beside it so the viewer can get a size of the scale would have helped mitigate that since I was left scrambling to find any sort of relative rulers in your images.

At this rank I want something to sum up to a scene with amaura being a part of it. You’ve given me dynamic scenes with multiple characters at lower ranks, so I was expecting much more. You’re going to have keep working on this project or restart for it to pass at the hard rank. You have made a functional keychain, but putting it in with some sequins and cotton fluff isn’t going to cut it. Really consider making some more clay sculptures of another pokemon or perhaps background elements. I understand that clay sculptures are permanent after you bake them, so there isn’t that much you can do there. As it stands, Amaura isn’t captured.

Img Made by Morru/Mako

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,074 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

I would like to contest this curation.
    I feel rather hard-done by, and will explain further below.

Hello, and I apologize for the delay in your curation. Here it is. Modelling clay is a miracle of modern chemistry—no need for glazing or firing and it is clean and tactile. Excellent for something small like your little amaura key chain.

I think working three dimensionally as an artist is a good thing because working in space forces the artist to think about the forms, rather than the bolded, flat, and black outlines of your subject. You’re also exploring many different media which another great aspect and I’d like to see you continue. It is evident that you took time and effort into making this little thing. Amaura is a hard rank capture, so I’m looking for all aspects of your work to be in line.

Thankyou for this intro. You understand that I made a 3d modelling clay object, and that is a hard rank capture.

Now that does bring me to the next part, and I do think that since you were just experimenting or just wanting to make a key-chain sized object, I think that the size of your work limited you.

Yes, it was small. It is a key chain. You have already stated that. I was hoping it to be assessed as such?
    It is evident that you have made a small, keychain-sized amaura, and while the overall structure is ok, it’s the details that I warned you that will bite you in the higher ranks. Because your amaura is so small it becomes infinitely harder work at precise detailing.

Yeah. I understand it was small, and therefore did not have a meticulous amount of detail. That is generally the nature of keychain-sized stuff! I did, however, include pretty much every detail that the pokemon anatomically has in its artwork- from tiny little toe-lumps to white sparkles in the eyes, and an extra sparkly detail jewel in its centre.
    I couldn’t really glean the size of your sculpture other than the little key ring in one of your example images. Having something beside it so the viewer can get a size of the scale would have helped mitigate that since I was left scrambling to find any sort of relative rulers in your images.

You already stated many times that it was keychain sized. I included a picture of the charm WIP next to A NEEDLE in the original post. The remaining blob of blue next to it is all of the extra clay I had. I could not have made it bigger- unlike digital artworks, physical supplies to do sculpturey art are limited. Being small isn’t really a mark against the artwork, is it? I took photos up very very close.

I also posted pictures of it on discord while I was cookin' it in the oven, for lols. I'll put that one in too! Just in case you’re still unsure of size- Its like, smaller than an oven-bake chip, nom!
    Spoiler:

I don't feel like you should have been scrambling for a sense of scale- you understood it was keychain sized, I included a picture showing how small it is, AND in the actual pictures I submitted, I stated it was sitting inside a shoe. It is sitting amongst various little beads from a necklace, which are bigger than its eyes. I included that everyday object in the photos for the purpose of showing scale, as well as being themeatically matching (faceted like ice, and even having the same glimmer orange/red reflection occur when the sun hits them on an angle).

I think because of that a lot of features become fattened, in particular its neck and body. I can understand that pokemon proportions are illogical and often ignore gravity. Its neck requires much more support than what Ken Suigmori gave it. I’ll let that slide. I think you could have gotten away with smaller fan-eyebrows so that the neck wouldn’t bend in a weird way.

I’m a little upset about its legs: they’re stubs rather than functional things. I think you could have paid more attention to that a bit more; I understand that the final product might make longer legs easier to fall off, but you face a tradeoff: is it a functional object or work of art? Working so small I can tell you were forced to make that decision and it didn’t quite pay off for this rank.

I’m a little upset that you’ve basically copied the pose from its official artwork as I think a lot of the problems I stated above like the stumpy legs or fat body/neck could have been addressed if you changed its pose. It would work with gravity and you wouldn’t have to worry about something like the neck or legs falling off due to being so small.

I'm sorry that you're a little upset x2. As you say, though, pokemon proportions often are illogical. It's a cartoon! I was not going for a realistic dinosaur, I was going for a cute fantasy ice pokemon. I feel as though you discredit these chibi proportions, when short and chubby art styles can have just as much merit as the ultra-realistic. If you were grading me on something like "Its legs are all different thicknesses and lengths!" or perhaps that its eyes are different sizes or something, that would be a fine improvement to make. Okay, maybe the neck was bent a little oddly. As it is, I feel like most of these criticisms are on the style I chose (which you don't seem to like) rather than on the work itself.

In terms of pose;
    Most of the official art has amaura with one of its legs up and its chin tilted down, looking slightly over its own shoulder? Unless you mean the official sculpture art of amaura, of which I can't really find any. I most certainly can't trace it. What was I copying? Can you give me an example that shows what I copied?
    Yes, it is STANDING? But that doesn’t mean it is a copied pose from anything. Its not a particularly dynamic pose, sure, it is standing straight and only looking up and sideways, but I’m not following the official artwork directly.
    I understand that clay sculptures are permanent after you bake them, so there isn’t that much you can do there.

Yeah. I suppose that’s why I’m wanting to ask for a regrade via text rather than doing those physical improvements which wouldn’t be possible.

The enclosure that you’ve placed your amaura is well considered thematically. The fluff is symbolic of snow, and is white which is good up to a point that I didn’t see the lower half of its belly my first glance at it. While it is certainly better that it isn’t randomly put somewhere and hope that the lighting would illuminate the details. However, when choosing background for a sculpture it is important that parts of the sculpture don’t blend with it, while also thematically relating it to the subject. Perhaps you could have made a construction paper background with a landscape with the cotton on the ground? Perhaps you could sculpt elements to go along with it? That was one idea; but I think some more consideration would help me read this work.

So- the background matches thematically, and is well illuminated. Because of the white snow, the white belly blends in a little- I understand that, but was hoping the texture differences would still allow it to be shown. You literally state it is well considered in the first sentence, and then say perhaps I need some more consideration?

At this rank I want something to sum up to a scene with amaura being a part of it. You’ve given me dynamic scenes with multiple characters at lower ranks, so I was expecting much more. You’re going to have keep working on this project or restart for it to pass at the hard rank. You have made a functional keychain, but putting it in with some sequins and cotton fluff isn’t going to cut it. Really consider making some more clay sculptures of another pokemon or perhaps background elements.

You want me to make other pokemon in order to catch this one? Look, I know we have to include the pokemon we want to capture in our works, but nowhere does it say its necessary to include other pokemon, even at harder ranks. Can you imagine how small I’d have to make other pokemon?? It feels like an expectation of a complex work.

I’m going to go to the URPG Art encylopedia and make a few points.
    Medium rank—
    A middle of the road rank that hopefully everyone can hit. – Can everyone make a modelling clay pokemon keychain this nicely? I haven’t seen any other sculpture submissions but I’m guessing its unlikely??
    Hard rank –
    This rank should be clean without looking messy. --My artwork and presentation was clean.
    The form should be basically spot-on. -- I didn’t forget any detail, and while the style is PURPOSEFULLY a chibi, it is BASICALLY spot on, right?
    Shading, considering light, good composition and placement of objects, as well as a background are required. –I condsidered the light and made sure the clay eye sparkles were always facing towards the actual light source, I placed objects nicely to cause reflections and distribute weight around the picture, A background is present, the images are decently composed. I feel like I ticked all of these requirements.
    Complex Rank—
    All elements present, polished and cohesive, as well as portraying emotion. – Alright, not everything is ‘polished’ though it is pretty cohesive. The emotion is pretty vague, so I undertand I wouldn’t pass at this rank.

As it stands, Amaura isn’t captured.

You didn’t include an assessment of the monthly theme at all.

Furthermore, I’m unhappy with the curation itself- If I take out your intro, its 600 words. You don’t talk about colour mixing and blending, about the details I added, about balance and space in the pictures, or my use of perspective. Your curation can be summarized as ‘it is small, its chubbiness upsets me, and the background is lacking in other interesting things’.
    I request a re-grade because I couldn’t get much out of this in terms of actual learning how to model clay better (except ‘make bigger things’ ??), and I couldn’t capture a pokemon. I’ve waited months for this, and I’m pretty upset.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    7 (302 Banked)

@Lychee - a discussion on the bugs and the bugs

Spoiler:

[B]Form/Detail[/B]
    I think you used some contrasting shapes well here via the wavy lines of the grass, leading up and down the image and giving the viewer a path to follow along the image. The daffodil’s bright colors give us a starting point, then the stems and weeds will gradually draw the eye downward, eventually past the egg and onto our focus. Rule of thirds is applied specifically well here, as the focus is not centered but well below the theoretical middle of the image. The egg occupies that space, giving us an idea of the season this is taking place in.

Color, Texture, and Shading
    Compared to some of your other images, the color in this image is very mild and does not draw as much attention as the subject matter itself. The yellows are definitely one of the stronger colors in this image, which unfortunately will tend to draw the eye towards the upper regions of the image away from the pokemon. Something that could counteract that, specifically in this case, would be to have a number oof darker shades surrounding the pokemon, essentially allowing them to be like a ray of light amongst the dark background. Now while I see the textured silk of the pokemon, and the stones you have dotting the ground, I don't see much texture elsewhere. WHile there isnt much other texture to be had, some highlights on the egg could have been really good to show its general smooth appearance. The stones could also get a bit more roundness with some darker rims.

Pokemon Anatomy
    What I love most with your to pokemon is that you have managed to give the pokemon emotion despite having nothing but eyes. You have one protecting the other, and we see almost a sibling love between them. You’ve used a combination of lines and shading to give cascoon its thread-covered appearance, which is nice and detailed without being too dark or jarring to distract. Silcoon is similar, but its color palette didn't seem to allow for as much shaping via shading. Something that could have been used to improve the meshing of the pokemon to the environment would be to find a way to have their spikes attached to the grass, or flowers somehow.

Environment/Perspective
    So I think the only thing I can really catch you on here is that the pokemon and the environment are out of proportion with each other. I had to look up to see what size the cocoon pokemon were, and they showed up at around 2 ft, making those the most monstrous daffodils ever known to the pokemon world. The environment is otherwise fine. It's simple, focused, and shows the necessary detail without being overbearing. The sharp cutoff at the end does make it seem a bit like a diorama as opposed to somewhere in nature. But I think for the general feel you have made everything nice, clean, and still give an environment for the pokemon to populate within.

Improvements
    SO think on scale for the future, as well as using color and shading to help improve and highlight the pokemon as the main focus of your image. Otherwise I think you did pretty well here, its a nice little vignette thats displays emotion without being complex, and evokes the feeling of spring.

Results
    I would say this is definitely more than enough to capture yourself a Silcoon. Plus, you hit the theme in spades, so an extra 2K for you!

13. Likes Lychee liked this post