Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lychee Pictures!

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,074 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default [Dec] Delibird Catch Attempt!

Since my Nincada Christmas catch attempt seems very untraditional, I thought I'd do a very stereotypical Christmas scene as well! Unfortunately I'm not as good at coloring in conifers as I am eucalypts, haha!
    So here, have a slightly frustrated parent delibird trying to keep all it's chicks in check- because the holidays is about family, and stuffing things into sacks, right?
    Spoiler:

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,074 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default [JAN] Houndour Catch Attempt

The monthly theme is centered around the new year - and this year is the year of the dog! So I've put a bunch of dog Pokemon of varying types all together to pose with this sign. Happy New Year!
    (See my sketchbook for the line art as proof of work c:)
    Spoiler:

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,074 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default [JAN] Amaura Catch Attempt!

One of January's other themes is ice and snow, which is great because it's also my birthday month and i love the cold! So anyway, I sculpted a tiny ice Pokemon smaller than a needle, and tried to photograph a nice frosty scene. It's a bit difficult to do snow when the place you actually live is in midsummer and on fire, so I've used the inside of one of my slippers as a backdrop.
    Amaura is also special to me because I live so far south I actually SEE the southern aurora at night. It's eerie and beautiful- but also very difficult to photograph, just like this little Amaura charm!

Proof of work:
    Spoiler:

STUNNING PHOTOSHOOT OF MY BABE:
    Spoiler:

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,074 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default [FEB] Drifloon Catch Attempt

One of the themes for Febuary is purple hues, and I've played around with them in this Valentines Pokemon card. A lonely drifloon looks out over the scenery with its back to the viewer, with hues of purple and it's opposite-yellow dominating the picture. Plus, a cute lil valentines message.
    Heck I know they're rumored to steal away children's souls, but my valentine was totally ok with the idea of getting lost with me :p

Proof of work:
    Spoiler:

Finished Pic:
    ((Aw heck, the photo ploaded sideways. LOL!))
    Spoiler:

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,074 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default [FEB] Steenee Catch Attempt

Another theme of Febuary is synergy and teamwork, duality and teaming up! I recently discovered Tsareena and Lurantis, and I think they look like gal-pals! Very different in style, but both humanoid, and grassy/buggy kinda types. They also both look so regal and sassy!
    Another fun thing i realized while doing this art was that they can have almost the same colours, just different amounts of each on each one! Their outfits are different styles, but yet coordinated! How fun!
    I used watercolour paint, white acrylic paint, and a black marker :)
    I know this probably isn't good enough to pass a Hard rank (though I'd love a Lurantis) so instead I'm pre-evolution aiming and going for a Steenee ~☆

Proof of work:
    Spoiler:

Finished Work:
    Spoiler:
    Last edited by Lychee; 02-18-18 at 05:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,798 (8,967 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    Thanks so much K'sa!
    For the December theme is Christmas things - for me, in the southern hemisphere, it's the middle of summer! Nincadas are calling, leaves and fields are dry, and most of that Christmassy stuff seems terribly out of place. So, Nincada and I hung a few baubles on a eucalyptus tree and wish you all a merry Christmas, from the un-snowy south! ♡
    Spoiler:
    I didn't see that your nincada got buried. I unclaimed your delibird and reclaimed your nincada. Sorry for the confusion!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by juliorain; 02-25-18 at 11:51 PM.

Img Made by Morru/Mako

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,798 (8,967 Banked)

Hello, sorry for the delay but here it is!!!!!!!!!!

My reviews tend to be a bit shorter than the other curators, but they are definitely more concise. If you have any questions feel free to ask me questions especially if I run over some abstruse art jargon along the way.

Regardless, your cute nincada is definitely the antithesis of your stereotypical christmas story (in the nicest way possible). I mean there's no snow, the bulbs are dangling off a random tree in the middle of a barren plain. There's even leaves attached to the tree, but they're limp like the tree is dehydrated. I think you're ability the capture the little bug's curiousness at the christmas bulbs unceremoniously dangling off a dead (or dormant) sapling. I love that you drew the tree's age correctly and the little branch is very believable. I think your little subject looks a little big in proportion to the tree, but otherwise it is rather successful little painting.

I see you had a little trouble fitting the nincada on it because it has to look behind itself to actually swing at the bulb which creates a little bit of distance between the subject and what it is doing. The brown parts to his arms are a little flat, as are the bulbs, and I definitely think that you can always go back into the watercolor with another layer or two to really bring out the forms.

Your technique for a foray into watercolor, a surprisingly demanding medium, is okay. I don't really like the dark penning (but hey; we're all guilty of that at some point!), but I saw that in later works you went in without the hand-holding of the pen and the dark, cartoony lines and got a taste of what watercolor really looks like without those dark lines. Everything is painted very precisely which can be both a good thing and a bad thing: on the one hand it can be bad and look messy, but on the other hand letting the paint tell you what it wants to do can lead to surprisingly and interesting results! Regardless, going into watercolor painting without penning is risky and definitely think that it will pay off! Remember, you can always erase watercolor by re-wetting the painting and wiping it with a paper towel or cloth!

I definitely want to see you explore watercolor further because it seems that like you have a liking for it. You made a great attempt at watercolor and I think you made a cute scene, and for that nincada is captured.

Img Made by Morru/Mako

8. Likes Lychee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,798 (8,967 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    Since my Nincada Christmas catch attempt seems very untraditional, I thought I'd do a very stereotypical Christmas scene as well! Unfortunately I'm not as good at coloring in conifers as I am eucalypts, haha!
    So here, have a slightly frustrated parent delibird trying to keep all it's chicks in check- because the holidays is about family, and stuffing things into sacks, right?
    Spoiler:
    claimalaim for reals this time

Img Made by Morru/Mako

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,798 (8,967 Banked)

Hi, and I know you're probably thinking of me as nice and forgiving, however, with this drawing being two ranks higher this review might be a surprise. I am glad to see you attempt the transition! HOWEVER, I think that the drawing that you have presented to me in its current state is, while sentimental, caring and focused around the subjects: namely the delibird family in an arctic forest is definitely less than what I expected from your previous work.

Where to begin? Let's start with your main scene. The main scene in the center is, well a family of delibirds. I think their facial expressions were good enough such that putting in the little emoticon bubbles was a little much for the scene as the big eyes and bodily positions were clearly expressive enough in their own right. I could tell their emotions without such bubbles.

Everything is very, very simply drawn; there isn't much light here as I'd hoped. The snow needs more texture and I think everything needs to be worked on a bit more to pass for this rank. The trees, I get, have a lot of detail and honestly I'd definitely like to see some of that texture in the fur/feathers of the delibird. You can definitely use a bolder green for the trees, and definitely can play around with giving your subjects some cast shadows.

I think your work isn't quite ready. It must be exciting doing all of this art, but unfortunately (and I have to remind myself) that perhaps it is best to slow down a tad to really bring out the inner character of your drawing. Work on it some more and I'll be happy to let you claim a delibird!
    Last edited by juliorain; 02-26-18 at 09:57 AM.

Img Made by Morru/Mako

11. Likes Lychee liked this post
    Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,074 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the curation!!
    I'll claim the Nincada and 2k for the Christmas monthly theme!
    I'm happy to accept that Delibird failed- I've lost the piece of paper in the two months since doing the art lol! I'll claim the 5k December bonus for attempting the theme above medium though, since it didn't matter if I pass or fail to claim that c:

13. Likes juliorain liked this post