User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lychee Pictures!

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,045 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Awesome! I'll go claim those things now!
    Thanks so much for curating! It looks like it almost takes more effort to write about art than it does to actually make art!

And, having been given a bit of critique now, I don't really think that my sylveon catch attempt is going to make the cut, so I'd like to downgrade it to an eevee.

Steel Soul Design TeamURPG Staff K'sariya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,623 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    Now, I think I'll preface this by saying...uh... its a mix between abstract and sculpture, I guess!

This kind of thing is called 'kandi' and its an accessory that ravers wear and trade with each other!
    Here are some examples
    I know its a bit of a strange art form (if it even counts as art here), and I don't want to make things too difficult for markers! If I fail here, well, eh! I made a cool thing anyway!
    At a rave, one time, I was gifted a cyndaquil plush, attached to a matching kandi bracelet- I loved it so much that I want to pass that kindness on to someone else, which is why I actually made this crafty little thing.
    I'm gonna give it away!

Attachment 745Attachment 746Attachment 747

Attachment 748
    I labelled things step by step, so that you can see what I had to do!

I chose the colours of beads based on Sylveons colours, and the accessories and details based on its traits, like 'cute charm' and pink bows! It took me a decent chunk of hours to make, thread, sew, and count out about 350 beads.. @[email protected]"
    The form, I chose sylveon for this, and that particular shape of cuff, because the ribbons and colours seem to work well for curvy ribbony 3d bracelets.
    I can't say I did much with light, but its going to look heckin' good when the blacklight comes on.
    In terms of balance, taken quite literally, it is sewn in tightly so that the plush doesn't sag sideways and balances correctly upright, and the entire bracelet itself is symmetrical.
    Now Sylveon can come out to party too!
    Peace, Love, Unity, Respect!
    Awesome! I'll go claim those things now!
    Thanks so much for curating! It looks like it almost takes more effort to write about art than it does to actually make art!

And, having been given a bit of critique now, I don't really think that my sylveon catch attempt is going to make the cut, so I'd like to downgrade it to an eevee.
    Noted and claimed!!

Steel Soul Design TeamURPG Staff K'sariya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,623 (0 Banked)

Hi, Lychee! Sorry for the wait!

Let me say that I love this! I don't think I've seen this sort of craft in URPG's Art Section before. I can tell you've put an incredible amount of care into crafting this, and I admire you so much for the ambition you've shown in doing this! I also appreciate you showing the steps you took here!

I want to start out with color. I love how well you've matched Sylveon's colors to the beads. It looks like it matches almost perfectly to the light and dark shades on its body, and the blue not only matches Sylveon's, but contrasts with the pinks nicely. The ribbons also seem to match the shade extremely well. I really love how much care you've put into picking the beads and the ribbons here. The only thing I'm a little iffy about is the bright yellow of the stars--they draw a lot of attention, and seem to break the calm, sleepy colors that you have going on. They're a little alarming. I think a cooler shade for a star would be great--it'd still let you match the stars thematically to light-hearted fairy types while not taking away from the beautiful beadwork around it!

Since this is an abstract work, I'd like to talk a little about the elements other than the color. The way you've bound the beads is very nice. The way they cross and protrude mimic the ribbons and the bows on Sylveon. Even from the inside (like you can see on the first final result image), they create an almost flower-like shape that matches with Sylveon's aesthetic really well. The protrusions on the outside seem a little rigid, but I get what you were going for in trying to match the curves. I think if I had one suggestion, it might be to try to stagger the "bumps" on the outisde next time. I feel like it falls under "if you emphasize everything, you emphasize nothing." It's hard to notice them at first because they repeat so closely. I think it'd really bring them out if you had a flat section between each of the outer bumps. This would also help mimic the thin flatness of Sylveon's ribbons, and also show off your bead work!

Your choice of ribbon accessory is very cute. The lace and the polka dots match Sylveon very well. I also love the rhythm of white, pink, white, pink all around. It guides your eye nicely around the bracelet. Your care to secure the Sylveon doll is also a great touch--the way it sits securely and upright on your arm is nice.

If you were to ever improve or add to this, I think it'd be cool to see some more beadwork that echoes the Sylveon's ribbons. They're a big part of its design, and while the bows are great at mimicking the ones on its ears, we don't have much for the actual ribbons!

Overall, this is really great kandi and I'm sure people will adore it! I can tell that you put a lot of effort and time into this. Your beadwork is extremely clean and shows a lot of practice. I'd happily give this a 67/100, Eevee definitely captured!
    Last edited by K'sariya; 07-03-17 at 07:58 PM. Reason: super late but fixed formatting tbh

4. Likes Lychee liked this post
    Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,045 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default [DEC] Nincada Catch Attempt

Thanks so much K'sa!
    For the December theme is Christmas things - for me, in the southern hemisphere, it's the middle of summer! Nincadas are calling, leaves and fields are dry, and most of that Christmassy stuff seems terribly out of place. So, Nincada and I hung a few baubles on a eucalyptus tree and wish you all a merry Christmas, from the un-snowy south! ♡
    Spoiler:
    Last edited by Lychee; 01-19-18 at 11:33 PM.

6. Likes ~Mako liked this post
    Talk Is Cheap
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    924 (0 Banked)

Three ornaments: two looped, the other tied
    With patience I have hung them on your tree.
    You nudge them until you are satisfied.
    Their placement seems irrelevant to me.

For all your work and festive thought,
    A conifer this tree is not.
    "Because it's always been this way" should never be an excuse to maintain a broken system.

8. Likes Lychee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    8,237 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Spoiler:

My partner and I play pokemon go, and whenever there is a pidgey about, they just HAVE to go catch it. I looked in their pokemon box one time and they had like, 30 pidgeys! And only one or two of every other species!
    So, I did an art of their avatar with a pidgey obsession, and how silly it would be if they ACTUALLY went around collecting birds like that. Weheheh.
    I had a lot of fun drawing all the different pidgey poses and finding different ways to jam them into the picture!

Didn't really look up what difficulty this is, but thought I'd enter it anyway~
    Claiming! MASSIVE apologies this was overlooked D: Will get to it asap, holidays willing.
    ignorantia juris neminem excusat
    Elrond - Today at 1:43 PM
    stop it morru we all know ur fursona is a Houndoom crossed with a thestral

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    8,237 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

CURATION - PIDGEY

An adorable drawing with an equally adorable story behind it to boot! Now I’m not going to make this longwinded as this is a simple drawing for a Simple-Ranked Pokémon, and also because this curation is long overdue (rip apologies again), so let’s get started!

Enumerating the elements to this piece we have: the player avatar, which is the focus or main subject; the Pidgeys, adorning the Trainer as supporting details; and the background, framing everything in hearts and rays of pink. I’ll go through each of these elements in order.

The Trainer is well drawn and sticks closely in terms of form and overall proportion to the reference. The outlines are simple but well-defined, breaking only at a small portion on the visor of the cap and other much tinier places. As far as details go their expression is spot on, setting the tone of the image very clearly. I also love the details on their clothing. The colors are refreshing, contained within the outlines like they’re supposed to (save perhaps, again, on very minute places), and I appreciate that there’s clearly an awareness for shading here. The weight differences of the color strokes, however subtle in some areas, go a long way to make this piece pop out more. Points for the highlights, too, especially on the hair. Suggestions for improvement I feel come with detail consistency. For example, while I understand that the Trainer isn’t facing us head on, I think the left strap (or their right) of their backpack is too thin. The left belt pocket carrying a Pidgey is also inconsistent shape-wise. However both are minor enough that they don’t detract from the piece, and those small things aside I do honestly think this is still a fun submission.

Moving on to the Pidgey we see a variety of form. Detail inconsistency I feel is more forgivable here, but as with the Trainer, for higher-Ranked attempts you’ll want to focus on making sure details are consistent across the work, unless you are doing something that is deliberately making use of varying styles. It’s always a balance between variety and consistency; lean on the former too much and you’ll end up with something unrecognizable, rely solely on the latter and you run the risk of things being pattern-like and predictable. (Although, as with all art, there’ll be exceptions where both extremes are handled well, but I digress.) Safe to say however that I do love how you managed to fit all the Pidgey here! You have a pretty standard one perched on the Trainer’s cap, and then others in kooky poses (how the one inside the backpack with a wing outstretched must feel, I can only wonder), and still others in adorable arrangements (the one on the shoulder is my favorite, followed by the three on the belt pockets). There’s some room for adjustments on some of them—the one the Trainer is holding looks like it’d have a much tinier body if I’m to believe the placement of the tail feathers, and the one on the netted side pocket of the backpack looks half-finished.

Finally there’s the background, providing us with a visual metaphor that makes the affection the Trainer has for the Pidgey very clear. I won’t go into the merits of having a more defined background because what already is in your piece does it enough justice as a simple drawing. Not much to say other than that for this part, so let me make a few words about the piece as a whole.

Overall, I think you did a good job at transferring an idea onto paper. You had clear images on mind, and you were able to execute it in this charming piece really well. Keep the suggestions I have in mind for the upper Ranks. For this piece though I have no hesitation to say that . . .

Spoiler:

Pidgey captured!

Apologies again this has taken such a long time to get claimed. If you want to discuss this grade further you may contact me here on the forums or via DMs on Discord. Have fun with your new Bird Pokémon!

@Lychee;
    ignorantia juris neminem excusat
    Elrond - Today at 1:43 PM
    stop it morru we all know ur fursona is a Houndoom crossed with a thestral

Talk Is Cheap
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    924 (0 Banked)

Considering there were multiple Pidgey in the submission, what's the likelihood of catching more than one of them?
    "Because it's always been this way" should never be an excuse to maintain a broken system.

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,045 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Thankyou Morru! I'm glad you liked my picture, and thanks for the feedback!
    claiming a pidgeyyyy ~☆

Haha Truly / I'm/ not the one obsessed with pidgey! I don't need to collect a zillion of them :P
    That is, unless you wanted a pidgey gift - but i can draw anther picture for that! The trainer one only took me like an hour or two- I was hardly even aiming to get a Pokemon I just thought I might as well since I did the art anyway~

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    5,440 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Truly View Post
    Considering there were multiple Pidgey in the submission, what's the likelihood of catching more than one of them?
    Just to answer this question, at this current time, there is no possibility of multicaptures with a single image. Everything in a single image is taken into account to capture the single target pokemon. If you want to comment on this further, you may DM me on discord and I will respond when I have time. Thank you.

With that said, @Lychee;
    I look forward to seeing more pieces from you and I apologize that this was missed!
    "Like the sea? Want to sail across the ocean to the end of days? Want to bring prosperity to the world?"
    Then Join Team Aqua in its quest to do just that!
    Click the banner below to visit our thread.
    You know you want to ;>

I mean... you get a cool banner after all! What's better then that? :)
    PokePet Box | URPG Stats | Wishlist