User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lychee Pictures!

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    424 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Awesome! I'll go claim those things now!
    Thanks so much for curating! It looks like it almost takes more effort to write about art than it does to actually make art!

And, having been given a bit of critique now, I don't really think that my sylveon catch attempt is going to make the cut, so I'd like to downgrade it to an eevee.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,523 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    Now, I think I'll preface this by saying...uh... its a mix between abstract and sculpture, I guess!

This kind of thing is called 'kandi' and its an accessory that ravers wear and trade with each other!
    Here are some examples
    I know its a bit of a strange art form (if it even counts as art here), and I don't want to make things too difficult for markers! If I fail here, well, eh! I made a cool thing anyway!
    At a rave, one time, I was gifted a cyndaquil plush, attached to a matching kandi bracelet- I loved it so much that I want to pass that kindness on to someone else, which is why I actually made this crafty little thing.
    I'm gonna give it away!

Attachment 745Attachment 746Attachment 747

Attachment 748
    I labelled things step by step, so that you can see what I had to do!

I chose the colours of beads based on Sylveons colours, and the accessories and details based on its traits, like 'cute charm' and pink bows! It took me a decent chunk of hours to make, thread, sew, and count out about 350 beads.. @__@"
    The form, I chose sylveon for this, and that particular shape of cuff, because the ribbons and colours seem to work well for curvy ribbony 3d bracelets.
    I can't say I did much with light, but its going to look heckin' good when the blacklight comes on.
    In terms of balance, taken quite literally, it is sewn in tightly so that the plush doesn't sag sideways and balances correctly upright, and the entire bracelet itself is symmetrical.
    Now Sylveon can come out to party too!
    Peace, Love, Unity, Respect!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    Awesome! I'll go claim those things now!
    Thanks so much for curating! It looks like it almost takes more effort to write about art than it does to actually make art!

And, having been given a bit of critique now, I don't really think that my sylveon catch attempt is going to make the cut, so I'd like to downgrade it to an eevee.
    Noted and claimed!!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,523 (0 Banked)

Hi, Lychee! Sorry for the wait!

Let me say that I love this! I don't think I've seen this sort of craft in URPG's Art Section before. I can tell you've put an incredible amount of care into crafting this, and I admire you so much for the ambition you've shown in doing this! I also appreciate you showing the steps you took here!

I want to start out with color. I love how well you've matched Sylveon's colors to the beads. It looks like it matches almost perfectly to the light and dark shades on its body, and the blue not only matches Sylveon's, but contrasts with the pinks nicely. The ribbons also seem to match the shade extremely well. I really love how much care you've put into picking the beads and the ribbons here. The only thing I'm a little iffy about is the bright yellow of the stars--they draw a lot of attention, and seem to break the calm, sleepy colors that you have going on. They're a little alarming. I think a cooler shade for a star would be great--it'd still let you match the stars thematically to light-hearted fairy types while not taking away from the beautiful beadwork around it!

Since this is an abstract work, I'd like to talk a little about the elements other than the color. The way you've bound the beads is very nice. The way they cross and protrude mimic the ribbons and the bows on Sylveon. Even from the inside (like you can see on the first final result image), they create an almost flower-like shape that matches with Sylveon's aesthetic really well. The protrusions on the outside seem a little rigid, but I get what you were going for in trying to match the curves. I think if I had one suggestion, it might be to try to stagger the "bumps" on the outisde next time. I feel like it falls under "if you emphasize everything, you emphasize nothing." It's hard to notice them at first because they repeat so closely. I think it'd really bring them out if you had a flat section between each of the outer bumps. This would also help mimic the thin flatness of Sylveon's ribbons, and also show off your bead work!

Your choice of ribbon accessory is very cute. The lace and the polka dots match Sylveon very well. I also love the rhythm of white, pink, white, pink all around. It guides your eye nicely around the bracelet. Your care to secure the Sylveon doll is also a great touch--the way it sits securely and upright on your arm is nice.

If you were to ever improve or add to this, I think it'd be cool to see some more beadwork that echoes the Sylveon's ribbons. They're a big part of its design, and while the bows are great at mimicking the ones on its ears, we don't have much for the actual ribbons!

Overall, this is really great kandi and I'm sure people will adore it! I can tell that you put a lot of effort and time into this. Your beadwork is extremely clean and shows a lot of practice. I'd happily give this a 67/100, Eevee definitely captured!

4. Likes Lychee liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12