Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lychee Pictures!

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    592 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Cool Lychee Pictures!

No, I'm not going to just post pictures of fruit, though, that would be cool too. Hehheh.
    I'll put new artworks in this one thread, to stop things getting too cluttered!

I guess eventually this opening post will become an index, but for now, its just filler!

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    592 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default [APR] Hoppip catch attempt!

One of the themes for April is rain and storms, so I thought I'd show a few little grass types 'frolicing' in the rain.
    Oddish is the only one who looks like it's having fun! Poor sunkern has no sun, and Hopip can't fly well with all these droplets! Plus, mud is icky~~
    I guess maybe springtime weather isn't always the best, even for grass types.

I'm attempting to catch Hopip with this watercolour!
    Last edited by Lychee; 04-12-17 at 08:36 AM.

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    592 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default [APR] Bellsprout catch attempt!

Another theme of April is yellow and springtime! So I chose to draw these two lovely yellow plant pokemon celebrating SPRING~! in a little garden. It's sortof like a seasons greeting card, perhaps?

I'm attempting to catch Bellsprout with this pencil and pen picture!

4. Likes ~Ebail, Seppe, K'sariya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    5,399 (0 Banked)

Hi! It's great to see a new face around the urpg art section! I just want to say that you can only get the monthly theme bonus twice a month. I'll claim your Hoppip once I've cleared some of the back log on Bulbagarden!

(I have not claimed your work to be clear)
    Last edited by juliorain; 04-14-17 at 07:12 AM.

Img Made by Morru/Mako

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    592 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Hey! Oh yes, I totally know- and I also can't do more than 3 medium catch attempts per month either, right? So, I probably won't post much more catch-art for a little while (Unless its supergreat!)
    Thanks for popping by and acknowledging me! I bet theres a lot of art to curate, and I'm not in a hurry. See you around, maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by juliorain View Post
    Hi! It's great to see a new face around the urpg art section! I just want to say that you can only get the monthly theme bonus twice a month. I'll claim your Hoppip once I've cleared some of the back log on Bulbagarden!

(I have not claimed your work to be clear)

7. Likes K'sariya liked this post
    Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    592 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Talking Sylveon Catch attempt!

Now, I think I'll preface this by saying...uh... its a mix between abstract and sculpture, I guess!

This kind of thing is called 'kandi' and its an accessory that ravers wear and trade with each other!
    Here are some examples
    I know its a bit of a strange art form (if it even counts as art here), and I don't want to make things too difficult for markers! If I fail here, well, eh! I made a cool thing anyway!
    At a rave, one time, I was gifted a cyndaquil plush, attached to a matching kandi bracelet- I loved it so much that I want to pass that kindness on to someone else, which is why I actually made this crafty little thing.
    I'm gonna give it away!

20170418_000920 (640x539).jpg20170418_000958 (569x640).jpg20170418_001110 (503x640).jpg

20170418_001240 (640x402).jpg
    I labelled things step by step, so that you can see what I had to do!

I chose the colours of beads based on Sylveons colours, and the accessories and details based on its traits, like 'cute charm' and pink bows! It took me a decent chunk of hours to make, thread, sew, and count out about 350 beads.. @[email protected]"
    The form, I chose sylveon for this, and that particular shape of cuff, because the ribbons and colours seem to work well for curvy ribbony 3d bracelets.
    I can't say I did much with light, but its going to look heckin' good when the blacklight comes on.
    In terms of balance, taken quite literally, it is sewn in tightly so that the plush doesn't sag sideways and balances correctly upright, and the entire bracelet itself is symmetrical.
    Now Sylveon can come out to party too!
    Peace, Love, Unity, Respect!

9. Likes K'sariya, Smiles liked this post
    Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    592 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default Pidgey Catch Attempt!

My partner and I play pokemon go, and whenever there is a pidgey about, they just HAVE to go catch it. I looked in their pokemon box one time and they had like, 30 pidgeys! And only one or two of every other species!
    So, I did an art of their avatar with a pidgey obsession, and how silly it would be if they ACTUALLY went around collecting birds like that. Weheheh.
    I had a lot of fun drawing all the different pidgey poses and finding different ways to jam them into the picture!

Didn't really look up what difficulty this is, but thought I'd enter it anyway~

11. Likes ~Ebail, K'sariya, Mako liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,651 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post

One of the themes for April is rain and storms, so I thought I'd show a few little grass types 'frolicing' in the rain.
    Oddish is the only one who looks like it's having fun! Poor sunkern has no sun, and Hopip can't fly well with all these droplets! Plus, mud is icky~~
    I guess maybe springtime weather isn't always the best, even for grass types.

I'm attempting to catch Hopip with this watercolour!
    It is I, the newbie curator that has vanquished the Bulbagarden backlog! Claimed, I expect to get to this tomorrow or this weekend!

13. Likes Lychee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,651 (0 Banked)

Okay, sorry for the wait, @Lychee;! Should be getting back on board now that I've relaxed enough post-finals!

You have an adorable little scene here, with a very happy Oddish and then a pretty bummed Hoppip and Sunkern. This should be an exciting Hoppip capture.

Let's start with composition. I love the little composition you have going on here--nothing is exactly in the middle of the page, which works really well since you want our attention on our three stars of the painting. The way you've placed them is really nice, also. When we, as human beings, look at paintings, we rarely take everything in all at once--we find a starting point that most captures our attention and we follow the lines to explore it. The upward-flying direction of Oddish's leaves guide us up to Hoppip's wide fronds, and those guide us nicely over to the right and down the grass, which curves back toward the Sunkern. The dark trail of the mud guides us right back to the Oddish. This circular kind of guide is really interesting for people to look at, and generally feels very comfortable.

Your Pokemon look pretty spot-on, anatomy-wise, with very, very few exceptions. Looking at a reference like this, Sunkern's top should have more upright ridges. If I wanted to nitpick, I could say that Hoppip's leaves are usually more drastically jagged, but that'd be a far reach. Overall, they are very true to their actual forms and it all holds together very well. The way you have the Hoppip and Sunkern's leaves drooping really help convey their moods, and the perky nature of Oddish's leaves definitely also helps convey how much fun it's having. Your expressions help convey your meaning a lot, and they are well-done!

I'll move on to the background. Overall, your background works very well with the image as a whole. The stormy gray gives the impression of rain, while your placement of the grass has done very well to bring proper attention to our important foreground figures. The shortening of the grass beneath the Hoppip served both to isolate the Hoppip and let it stand out more from the background, while also giving a slight impression of depth of the grass racing back into the distance. The inward curve of your grass really gives an awesome feeling of us parting the blades to peer into this little scene we've found, which really helps the mood of it.

The one thing I didn't actually notice until I looked at the painting later was the rain. You have all the telltale signs of rain (the sky, the mud, etc.) but I didn't actually notice it until later, when I looked more closely. I think one of my suggestions for this would be to get your hands on something like a white colored pencil and lightly emphasize the edges of the rain, just to draw attention to them. The darkness of the blue all but seems to disappear on the greens at the bottom, so I think a lighter tone like one from a light colored pencil would really help you here.

The rain also looks a little on the sloppy side--I would have liked to see a little more TLC given to them. There's that, but on the other hand, the freeform shapes also give it a lot of energy to it. I think in the future, just keep that in mind--it worked this time, but it'll need some refining for higher levels.

As far as techinque goes, I can see you've got a really nice grasp on watercolor. I see that in the layering of your colors on the grass and the mud. I think my only critique on your application is on the Hoppip. For the Oddish and the Sunkern, you have these clean, solid outlines around them that helps really bring them forward. However, the Hoppip still blends back a bit due to the super light nature of its outlines. I think making that outline consistent with the Sunkern and Oddish's would really help bring it forward like the rest.

You've addressed the April theme of rain and storms really well with wonderful cool colors and a nice rainy, muddy scene. This definitely qualifies well for it. I think it would have been nice to be able to notice the rain a little more, but your inclusion of the mud helps tie in the theme either way.

Overall, this is a wonderful little work. It's adorable, colorful, and is great for the theme. The more difficult-to-control medium also boosts your score a bit. I will happily give this a 38/35, Hoppip captured! Please also claim an additional 2k for the Simple rank capture for the monthly theme!

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post

Another theme of April is yellow and springtime! So I chose to draw these two lovely yellow plant pokemon celebrating SPRING~! in a little garden. It's sortof like a seasons greeting card, perhaps?

I'm attempting to catch Bellsprout with this pencil and pen picture!
    I'll also be curating this! Claimed!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,651 (0 Banked)

Round two of the April backlog is this wonderful depiction of spring! Let's hop right in!

We have a cute little scene depicting a Bellsprout and Sunflora that are incredibly excited about the concept blocked out in the background--spring!

Let's start with Pokemon anatomy. I believe you've done this super well, which is good with how simple the form of the 'mons are. Even though they're simple, I do want to compliment on a couple of nice touches. One is the way you've nicely rounded out Sunflora's face. The attention to the curved lines really helps convince the viewer that that's a solid, rounded form. The subtle way you've also placed the petals on our right on top of rather than behind the Sunflora's face, and the ones on our left tucked behind, also really convinces us that it's a curved form that we're viewing at a slight diagonal profile.

The Bellsprout's form is done similarly, but since there's less detail to add, it's understandbly not as complex. I do think that the far eye should be rotated just a little bit clockwise and a bit smaller--that side of its rounded head is further away and it would be curving back down partially out of our view. I nitpick here because other details become important when you have such a simple form.

Your background is very simply done, with a row of flowers nested nicely in the back. The shapes are all different, keeping them interesting, with some overlapping in the middle and right to give it a bit of depth. However, the linework on them seems a little sloppy at points. Normally, I wouldn't mind too much on something in the background that can start getting a little "fuzzier"/less detailed as it drops back into space, but the absence of anything else and the clean lines on your frontward figures make it necessary here. You have such precise, intentional linework and geometric shapes up on the Sunflora and Bellsprout, so the errattic shapes of the flowers stick out a lot to me as a little bit rushed.

One thing I want to start seeing from you is a little more depth in the form of shading. I can see you've dipped your toes in here at the feet of our two figures, as well as in the very slight darkening of the back petals on Sunflora's features, but I think it would add a lot to your works if you started experimenting with it a little. Intentionally flat styles are difficult to pull off with traditional mediums, and it doesn't particularly come across like you're actually intentionally aiming for it. If you'd like to venture into the flat styles a little more, that's totally fine, but you seem to have such a good grasp on form and shape that I'd love to see you work with shading and different light sources! It would really help to define the form of certain things, especially in this one--shading would really help us see how the Bellsprout's head curves as a sphere-like shape, and the it would also give us a good impression of the rounded body of Sunflora.

Since you've included type, I'll do a small bit on the type treatment. You seem to have executed it somewhat cleanly, linework excepted (which I'll touch on later), keeping all the letters a consistent size and style that seems intentional and well-done. The letters tie in really well in style with the shapes around them, too. One thing I'd point out is that I wish there was more room at the top of the page--our declaration of "spring" looks like such an exciting shout to the world, but it seems very squished and caged and cropped by the top of the page. I feel like some breathing room for it would be good. Planning out your canvas ahead of the time would help with this, I believe.

Your colors are lovely, with the bright yellows bursting nicely forward against the cool greens and cooler purples. I wish you'd been a little more neat with the coloring in spots. The edges of the purple flowers in the background bleed over in a lot of places, and the yellow on Bellsprout's head is also outside of the lines on the bottom left. The same goes for the coloring of the words. Other than that, I think they're pretty well done and evenly applied, but that brings me into technique--mainly, your usage of pen.

I think pen was a great choice here. It really helps define the shapes but isn't too thick or heavy. It compliments your style without harming it by being overdone. It helps the work still feel light and airy, like spring! However, there are a few spots that seem a little rough, like the aforementioned background and the spots where they overlap on Sunflora's petals. Since that's a more complicated area, it's not too bad, but it does dock a little.

In regards to the theme, these two definitely match the yellow theme. In the future, I'd like to see a little more prominence of the theme's color. I'm going to give this one to you though because your use of yellow on those two 'mons is very intentional, and is the focal point of the drawing. You've used the complimentary color of purple and other cool colors to help really bring it out and foremost in our attention.

I know I've given you a lot of critique on this one, but it's just to ensure that as you move forward, you'll be more prepared for more difficult critique. One of your main boons is the gentle but attentive, even application of colors (except where it lapsed outside of the lines). I can see you have a really good grasp on colored pencils. I think a lot of people try to lay down too heavy of color all at once, which leaves uneven streaks and an application that looks more like crayon, but you seem to have pretty well stepped away from that. Your medium choice is another reason why I'd like to see shading from you; colored pencils are all about layering light shades carefully atop one another, and I think you'd do so well with that.

That being said, I'm totally fine with giving this a 35/35, Bellsprout captured. Please also claim your additional 2k for meeting April's monthly theme of yellow! Enjoy!

16. Likes Lychee liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast