User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lychee Pictures!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    686 (8,967 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    The monthly theme is centered around the new year - and this year is the year of the dog! So I've put a bunch of dog Pokemon of varying types all together to pose with this sign. Happy New Year!
    (See my sketchbook for the line art as proof of work c:)
    Spoiler:
    claim since this is the next by date

Img Made by Morru/Mako

2. Likes Lychee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    686 (8,967 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by juliorain View Post
    claim since this is the next by date
    as promised, here is curation. I like houndour in essence, but really, Game Freak. Make ghosts not weak to it.

It is amazing to see growth and experiementation in URPG artists. At least, I do. Compared to your delibird work, I think this is much more successful as a whole. You've given me more information than the entire Delibird family you drew in the other one. Each doggy pokemon clearly has their own individual personality. While you took artisitic liberties in cartoonizing your characters it works because they were done well enough to convey emotion. I do think, however, it is a trap to get too carried away cartoonizing your subjects, case in point the lillipup. I think you could have spent some more time working out the details like the fur simplification and the eyes in poochyena could use a little adjusting. The tuft on growlithe's head sits on it a little weird, but otherwise works as a whole. Of all the dogs depicted, I think that your furfrou and snubbull are your most successful. I think you figured out its nuances in its color and the off whitish color of its fur. Most of the other puppers seem to be not quite there.

I wish it didn't look so much like a coloring book filling--the lack of shadows, simple background, heavy outlines, and the even penciling. Even texture in colored pencil is good--I takes a lot of effort and layers but it is easy to get into a trap of the colors becoming relatively the same lightness. With colored pencils you don't have to apply the same pressure to the pencils and in fact that's what a lot of artists do (and I would expect that you attempt it at higher levels). Varying the pencil pressure can make light colors look dark and vice versa, also it it'll open up winds where you can even hatch to different colors together--color pencil lead can mix! Just make sure you put the light color over the dark color. With hatching you'll be surprised how many new and more specific colors become available.

I think with colored pencils it is easy to fall into the trap of not having enough colors, right? Hatching can solve that! You colors are a bit generic and I can tell that you were limited by your options.

I'm not sure the bright gold choice was the best color for your background--it competes with your subjects. If you wanted a warm background, but still push it back, rather than going glowing yellow-orange, go for a light gray hatched over it. I think growlithe suffers the worst from it, being almost the same color. I wish that you defined the space more, but having that one simple line does ground your subjects and actually gives them weight. Having some cooler colors, other than the blue in the detailing of subull would have actually made your work even more harmonious.

All-in-all I think you have drawn a fun little piece. I do think that you can push yourself to be less cartoony (unless you really like cartooning), especially if you want to aim for higher ranks. You are taking off the training wheels and working more carefully with emotion and facial expression on your subjects which is good (THANK YOU FOR NO EMOJIS). I think you could have considered color interactions a little more carefully, and spent a little more time with your pencil. Otherwise this is satisfactory for a medium drawing. Houndour is caught. It works if with your theme claim that extra bit cash.

Img Made by Morru/Mako

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    686 (8,967 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    One of January's other themes is ice and snow, which is great because it's also my birthday month and i love the cold! So anyway, I sculpted a tiny ice Pokemon smaller than a needle, and tried to photograph a nice frosty scene. It's a bit difficult to do snow when the place you actually live is in midsummer and on fire, so I've used the inside of one of my slippers as a backdrop.
    Amaura is also special to me because I live so far south I actually SEE the southern aurora at night. It's eerie and beautiful- but also very difficult to photograph, just like this little Amaura charm!

Proof of work:
    Spoiler:

STUNNING PHOTOSHOOT OF MY BABE:
    Spoiler:

this is up next

Img Made by Morru/Mako

5. Likes Lychee liked this post
    Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,074 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default [MAR] Charjabug catch attempt

Charjabug was a difficult subject to paint up for the month of March - becayse bugs are fairly expressionless, and it's also just a rectangle that doesn't bend! So I decided to make him seem cheeky- sneaking in the window to eat cupcakes!
    He's a bug Pokemon, and he's green - so he matches with March themes pretty nicely I think :3
    Proof of work is in my sketchbook thread!
    Spoiler:
    Last edited by Lychee; 03-27-18 at 05:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    113 (182 Banked)

Claiming Lychee's Drifloon
    Last edited by Axion; 03-28-18 at 08:37 PM.

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,074 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Axion View Post
    Claiming your Houndour
    Thanks but if you look just 3 posts above your own, or in my first post, you would see that Houndour has already been assessed and captured!
    If you'd like to curate, it would be great to have my Febuary Drifloon assessed!

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,074 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default [MAR] Silcoon Catch Attempt

Bugs, greenery, Easter, and daffodils!
    As much Marchyness as I could cram into a simple little cocoon scene! ☆
    Spoiler:

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    686 (8,967 Banked)

@Lychee

Revision: Hi, Lychee, when I looked up the ranking for Delibird I consulted the Ultradex which hadn’t updated Delibird’s recent rank change from hard to medium and I didn’t double check the art encyclopedia to confirm its rank. This meant that I interpreted your drawing at the hard rank, for which your drawing would not have qualified for. I heard that I confused you on a number of points, so let me readdress them with respect to their appropriate rank in mind.

The scene you’ve given me is clearly about a loving Delibird family in the snow in some arctic location. You have several children on their, what I’m guessing, and their mother or father. One of the babies has fallen off, lying in the snow almost getting ready to cry as it looks at its siblings or friends play merrily with the adult. I think you conveyed the personalities of each delibird—both children and adults very well with their dramatic, almost cartoonish expressions. You can immediately tell what the feeling of the artwork should be which is a great skill not many people have.

I don’t like your usage of chat bubbles or emoticons in the work, however, as you’ve clearly illustrated what emotions they are feeling through their facial expressions and poses. The emoji take away some of the complexity that you’ve presented us. I think you were aiming to have the chat boxes read as cute additions to the drawing, but I interpret them as, “I’ve drawn the child welling up in tears and on the ground, but if you didn’t catch it, it’s sad." I understand you like cartoon style of rendering, but I think the emoji overemphasize their cartoon-y nature. I think their exaggerated facial expressions are already cartoon-style and show their emotion.

All of your delibirds are recognizable and I’m glad that you chose to draw multiple of the same pokemon in one drawing because the drawing needed it. I do however, think the drawings break down at the individual levels a tad bit, because details in them seem a bit off. As in their overall anatomies are correct, but the placement of the eyes, the feathers, the beak, are less considered. Because you’ve drawn so many, I can understand that some of the particular proportions could have become so skewed, but I do think you need to slow down in that area if you want to go for pokemon of higher ranks.

I’m glad that you placed them in a living background; the trees and the little tracks in the snow really put me in the moment. However, I am not a fan of how you drew them. Overall, I can see that the trees follow a rough cartoonish shape of fir trees, but you simplified the mass of their leaves a little more than what I’d like. It is easy to simplify the leafy part of threes as a solid mass of leaves but remember, branches exist. I think you would have benefited from looking up online pictures of trees or looking outside and drawing from them.

For instance, I found a generic reference image online:

The tiny branches give some deep shadows even where the tree is lit by the light source. The branches go out in all sorts of crazy directions, and overall gives it kind of a furry texture. Your trees were a little too thin and all the branches were drawn with the same direction of strokes which suggests to me that they're smooth in every direction. Your nincada drawing shown me that you can draw trees really well, so I know you can do it!

I also think that you could have drawn some cast shadows under the delibirds and under the trees, as a way to really help your space show. You clearly know that shading in the snow you use a light gray (as evidenced by the tracks) and I would have loved to see that continued for everything else.

This concern carries over into the delibirds themselves. I think you could have worked on shading a bit more and instead of harsh, black outlines define your birds. Black outlines really flatten a three-dimensional object. If you insist on using outlines, try penciling them in lightly or use a similar color to their bodies. I think you have captured a good atmospheric light, but I don’t see it in your subjects. I think you can push yourself to try and drawing in some texture for their feathers or deepen some of the shadows. Use a darker red or lightly color over with a black and you’ll see a tremendous improvement. Color pencils can blend with other colors and I’d like to see you experiment more with that!

All-in-all, for a medium work, this is successful enough to merit a medium capture. I think you’ll find colored pencils to be a really fun and versatile medium if you continue to push yourself with more work. For now, however, Delibird is captured!

Img Made by Morru/Mako

11. Likes Lychee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    113 (182 Banked)

@Lychee - have yourself a curation about a balloon

Spoiler:

[B]Form/Detail[/B]
    To start, we have a few good artistic methods used here. The pokemon is off center, bringing more attention to it hiding in the corner. This shows a good usage of the rule of thirds, and you also have the horizon roughly ⅓ of the way up, These two combined elements give the piece a nice balance, especially with the words, smaller yet able to bring a sense of balance back from drifloon’s side location. The mountains work as a great way to bring the reader’s eyes back up to the pokemon, creating natural arrows pointing up to the main focus of our image, the pokemon and its far off dreaming. There is not a lot of detail, but I think for this image it gives credence to “more is less” - adding a number of elements just to flesh out the scene further would really just distract from what this image seems to convey. The empty spaces here convey a sense of emptiness, or loneliness when combined with the message that could secretly hint that the pokemon would be empty without its mate. Theres some good symbolsim here, and it helps tie the image together.

Color, Texture, and Shading
    There are three distinct color regions in this piece. You have the sky, the mountains, and the pokemon itself. Drifloon is shaded very nicely, but I think the better shading is definitely in those mountains. While simple, the can be immediately recognized as mountains, and have a very nice gradient going down them. The sky is also very pretty, with the dawn peeking over the mountains. A little orange could have given additional color transition, but it's the only main point I could see for improvement where shading is concerned. There really isn't a lot of texture going on here, but I am not particularly sure what you could give texture anyway - everything is either intentionally smooth or far away enough to show much texture at all. If you intended to make drifloon shiny look a real balloon, a white highlight near the edge would give it a very smooth and somewhat reflective surface.

Pokemon Anatomy
    Drifloon by itself is not an inherently complicated pokemon, being a balloon. But I think you did a fairly reasonable well job giving it a good clean shape and capturing the very few details the pokemon has as close to perfect as can be easily done. The shading gives your pokemon its round balloony shape very nicely. Other than that, there’s not a whole lot to say here. One thing that could possibly add more detail, if you weren’t into the shiny highlights discussed earlier, would be some hints of sunlight passing through the balloon, it would almost give some of the edges a glow, making it look transparent and furthering its balloon appearance. I would have loved to see Drifloon’s face, considering the emotions you are conveying in this piece. However, looking in the distance is its own way to show emotion.

Environment/Perspective
    I have honestly covered the majority of the environment in other sections, as it is a somewhat simplistic background overall. It is a very pretty scene, and the only thing that could even be suggested would be a way to tell how high up Drifloon is. However it would be hard to implement that cleanly without redesigning an umber of elements and could clutter the scene. Ideas that might be good food for thought would be tree branches, or maybe the mountains slowly fading to green showing a field low down. Otherwise, its clean and simplsitic.

Creativity/Effort
    I think where this piece gets its major points is in the medium and the emotion put forth through. As i have only dealt with watercolors as a kid, I know it can be somewhat difficult to effectively use them. Your shading shows that you definitely have some skill in this area. Another point in your favor would be your very clean lines, which keep the image clean and focused. You chose words to convey emotion as opposed to motion and facial cues, and in this case i think it worked nicely, considering you tied the font in with the pokemon. Seeing this, I might be tempted to try watercolors again at some point.

Improvements
    As stated above, I think the main areas for improvement would be something to show position and scale, and making the balloon materials more dynamic, being by specular highlights or translucent lighting. Otherwise, adding too much more would be cluttering up a very nice image, which in this case would almost be more of a detriment.

Results
    In the end this came down to effort compared to the complexity of the piece. There was obviously a lot of work put into making the shading and lines clean. I even had to consult with other curators to come to a decisive conclusion. Today, you have nabbed yourself a pokemon. Drifloon is caught. also if the theme was Vday/love, you can claim that too.

Bubblebeam
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,074 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Hooray!!
    Claiming Delibird ♡ I will study up on trees more!
    And Claiming Drifloon! ☆☆
    One of Febuarys themes was actually purple, I think, but I'm pretty sure I nailed the purpleyness so I'll take that 5k bonus!