User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mi$tral Draw$ 4 Ca$h

some day, my dream will find me Super Moderator Mistral's Avatar
    In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    20,004 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#3 - Lapras at Sunset
    The long awaited Lapras. I've been talking about painting a Lapras for as long as the URPG art section has been around, and it's finally done. I'm doing this for cash because I'm pretty sure I won't pass at Demanding, and if by some miracle, I do manage to pass at Demanding... well, then I'll just do Lapras at Sunrise!! If I don't pass at Demanding, then hey, at least I've got some money, and that's what truly matter here. :D Did the sketch of Lapras in pencil (as you'll see in the progress shot as a second form of proof in case my signature isn't enough), and then I painted it with acrylic paints; all of it was done on canvas.

The first spoiler contains the progress shot (the one you shouldn't curate) and the second spoiler contains the final product (the one you should curate). It's also worth noting that the progress shot was done with my old phone (an LG Leon) and the final version was done with my new phone (a Google Pixel); apologies for the crappy picture quality on the progress shot. (Both pictures featuring the infamous toaster aka my laptop.)

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    20,004 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#4 - Tentacool
    Drew this Tentacool a while back, and I only just got to coloring it tonight. Not much else to say here, tbh. Was going to use watercolors for it, but I don't have them anymore so I just went with colored pencil so I could say I finished this.

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Mistral; 04-19-17 at 09:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    20,004 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#5 - Woobat
    Also drew this Woobat a while back & just got to coloring it tonight. Don't really have much else to say here either. Colored with colored pencil.

Spoiler:

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    20,004 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#6 - Dratini the Dreamer
    Did all of this one tonight. Wasn't sure what to do, so I just did a Dratini dreaming of the ability to fly, since it'll be able to do that once it evolves into a Dragonite. I think the Dratini is pretty cute though. Forgot to color a part of its eyes though, but oh well. *shrug* Colored with colored pencil.

Spoiler:

5. Likes Seppe, K'sariya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,190 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    #3 - Lapras at Sunset
    The long awaited Lapras. I've been talking about painting a Lapras for as long as the URPG art section has been around, and it's finally done. I'm doing this for cash because I'm pretty sure I won't pass at Demanding, and if by some miracle, I do manage to pass at Demanding... well, then I'll just do Lapras at Sunrise!! If I don't pass at Demanding, then hey, at least I've got some money, and that's what truly matter here. :D Did the sketch of Lapras in pencil (as you'll see in the progress shot as a second form of proof in case my signature isn't enough), and then I painted it with acrylic paints; all of it was done on canvas.

The first spoiler contains the progress shot (the one you shouldn't curate) and the second spoiler contains the final product (the one you should curate). It's also worth noting that the progress shot was done with my old phone (an LG Leon) and the final version was done with my new phone (a Google Pixel); apologies for the crappy picture quality on the progress shot. (Both pictures featuring the infamous toaster aka my laptop.)

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Claiming as my first curation! Woo!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,190 (0 Banked)

Okay, so to start off: we have a Lapras sitting in the water (presumably an ocean!) with a setting sun behind it. This is a very simple scene, one that I appreciate a lot!

First, let's start on your composition. You have a very basic composition (which isn't a bad thing!) with a clear focal point. We know exactly where we're supposed to look: at the Lapras, and then the sunset behind it. The Lapras is at the top of the page, nearly centered, with the water taking up the entire bottom half of the canvas. While this also isn't a bad thing, I personally feel like it takes away from the impact a little--but! you make up for it by still keeping the Lapras of a decent size. If the Lapras had been any smaller, it would seem tiny and lonely, dwarfed by the sea, which would give an entirely different message to your work! Scale is very important in regards to the rest of your composition--keep it in mind in the future.

Next, I'd like to touch on your anatomy a little bit. The first thing I notice is that the shell is concave. It looks a little impacted, wheras if you look at references in the anime and in Sugimori's original art, the shell rises up quite a bit on its back. You also have Lapras' face a little pushed down, when the end of its face is usually really round, also. You've also given it a bit of a boxier, sharp, triangular eye. Bringing its nose to a point like you have, combined with the eye and the flat line of its mouth, gives the Lapras a bit of an unhappy look, shaking the impression that you wanted to give of a serene sunset scene. I'd suggest rounding out its nose and eye a little to help soften its look! I think your Lapras could do with a little meat on the chest, also--Lapras tends to have a little fatter chest, with their necks arcing back and growing a little thinner near the head. I also wish you'd included Lapras' beige chin and underbelly. I do, however, like the little curl you've given it--that and its horn look fine, though I think both could be a little bigger!

One thing that I wanted to point out is where your Lapras is in the water. If we look at anime references, Lapras tends to sit a little lower in the water than you have it here, with the shell almost touching the water in both instances. I think lowering it in the water will help you round out its body a lot, and also give you room to bulk up its shell without hiding the sun behind it!

Let's touch on your background a bit. Acrylic is fast-drying, so it's hard to get smooth blends. This works pretty well in the water--the subtle undulations in color actually give it quite a nice texture. One thing I'd suggest on future works is finding a way to either get a compass to help with the rounded shape of the sun, or to sketch it with a pencil a bit more until it you get as close to circular as possible. The shape of the sun really stands out here. However, I do love the color you've chosen for it--that orange compliments the blues and the pinks quiet nicely.

While the fast-drying nature of acrylics helped a bit on the water, I don't think it helped with the sky. I can see where you've tried to get a gradation of color in the sky where it fades to the night up above. This works fairly well until you get to that first layer of purple, I think. A mixture of the bottom edges being bumpy and the value being so much darker than the color below it made me think they were storm clouds, at first. I definitely understand that acrylics are a pain to mix and blend, but I think spending a bit more time on making some intermediate shades in more narrow blocks will help in the future. I like to think of acrylics in terms of making art in old MS Paint a little--since it lays down such thick, crisp colors and lines, you have to treat doing gradients more like pixel art, and use small stripes with gradual transitions in hue and value.

I think looking at lighting would be worthwhile, also. We have one light source in this image--the sun behind it--and yet we have no shadows. I think mixing some darker blues to put on the inner parts of the Lapras and deepening the shadows on it would add a lot to this. While a lot of images we see of things cast against a sunset are silhouettes, they don't necessarily have to be! This is a good example of sunset lighting without silhouetting the figures completely. The bright orange spots really add a lot of impact and drama to the figure.

The last thing I wanted to touch on are your ripples. Those were a nice, thoughtful touch I appreciate. I want to point out your perspective on them, though. You've drawn them like they're being seen from above (with round, full half circles) but we're looking at the Lapras from the side. I think taking a look at ripple references, even simple ones like this one will help you. As the ripples get closer to us on a plane we're viewing almost completely from the side, they appear close to one another on the side they're near on, but still have some distance on the right and left sides. Despite this, I like the lighter color on them.

I just want to say that I know I've given you a lot of critique here, but I did like this piece. It's very cute, with pleasant colors, and Lapras is one of my favorite 'mons. I can tell you put a lot of effort into this. With some practice in the medium, and some practice consulting more references, I think you'll learn how to work it like putty in your palms! I'm going to give you a 35/100 for now, which is only $5,000, but if you make some of the changes I talked about above, I'd be totally happy to re-evaluate and give you more. But I do know it's been a bit since you did this, so if you don't have some of the materials or have lost momentum, that's okay. I just want to say that this was a great attempt and to not let the critique discourage you! I super look forward to curating your others!
    Last edited by K'sariya; 04-22-17 at 09:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    20,004 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

I forgot to say this when I did it, but money from the Lapras piece claimed.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,190 (0 Banked)

#4 - Tentacool
    Drew this Tentacool a while back, and I only just got to coloring it tonight. Not much else to say here, tbh. Was going to use watercolors for it, but I don't have them anymore so I just went with colored pencil so I could say I finished this.

Spoiler:
    Claim for in the morning!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,190 (0 Banked)

#4 - Tentacool

Spoiler:
    Hi, Felly! Sorry for the wait on getting to your works, but I’ll be knocking them out now for you. C:

In this one, we’ve got a very simple scene—a Tentacool on what I assume to be a plain background of blue water. It seems to be floating rather peacefully. In fact, it doesn’t look as angry as most Tentas I see! With that in mind, I think we should jump right into anatomy.

Right off the bat, I notice what I said above—it doesn’t seem very angry. I think this is because of the placement of the eyes. Usually, the eyes are placed snug against the nose and the ridge of its brow, which is what gives Tentacool its angry look. Moving up from there, you seem to have made the Tentacool’s head very tall and relatively straight, when their heads are usually very bulbous and round. Its red, jelly-like orbs also usually stick out further, as they are also more round. They're also lacking the depth that they usually have. You’ve made the Tentacool’s two tentacles pretty uniformly thick, when usually they begin thin and thicken as they get to the ends. There are also smaller things, like its forehead ‘gem’ not being centered, and the nose perhaps being a bit crooked.

I notice that you’ve used pen or marker for some thicker outlines. These lines are pretty clean, even if there are some spots where they don’t connect where they need to (like the right red bulb). However, keep in mind that thick outlines really tend to flatten things out. Objects in nature don’t have thick outlines, so when we do add them, it makes them more flat and cartoon-y to the eye. Cartoons make use of this because it helps bring animated characters up from the foreground and gives them a more commanding presence, but in static art, unless made intentional throughout the entire work, it tends to really press it down. This isn't necessarily bad--I think you just need to use it more carefully.

I think that I would have liked to see more of the lines to make it clear to the viewer that this is the style you’re going for. For example, Tentacool has raised ridges along the red bulbs—indicating those with this thick line work would have really helped. I also see some erase marks for some round shape in the background. I assume they were going to be bubbles or some similar ornament—and bubbles in that style would have been fun, and would have really helped the background. The plain blue really drags the energy of the art down a lot. My suggestion to you is to commit to these lines and these styles and go wild with them! I’d rather have to tell you to hold back than to have to tell you to tone it down. More linework would have really added a lot to this piece.

So one thing I want to talk about with your works is movement. Between this and the Lapras, I’ve been seeing more static, still poses. The way the Tentacool’s tentacles hang limply downward and it stares at us from head-on isn’t very visually interesting. I’d encourage you to start branching out a little more with your work. Tentacool especially has a lot of room for movement! Even in canon art like these it’s shown very energetic, tentacles lashing. It would have been great to see some of that movement here, even if we’re just looking at it head-on.

To be clear, I don't want to force you toward realism if that's not the style you want. Not everyone wants to draw with hyper-realistic gradations in shadow and light. Thick outlines can work really well if used carefully. Take the game Okami, for example. It uses a beautiful style that's based on heavy brush strokes and lines, and is generally regarded as being one of the more beautiful games in history due to the character and beauty of this style. So some of the things I want to suggest for this piece and this style as you move forward:

• Try different line weights. If you look at the Okami screenshots, they use bold, black lines, but they also use it in varying thickness. This helps give a sense of form and depth without having to rely on classic gradient-based shading.
    • Experiment with how these different weights affect the eye. When you crook it one way, or perhaps the other, what kind of shape does it give? Experiment with rounded surfaces, like the bulb--what if the line of the curve changes in thickness as it moves along the curve? For example, they do this in the manga to really help cement that rounded shape in space, even when they're using a pretty flat style!
    • Speaking of which, reference the manga! Animation and manga almost always have to rely on using line for emphasis in the absence of color. Experiment with the effect of different lines on the viewer's eye!

Of course, this isn't necessary, but just some suggestions. I'd love to see you branch out with this if you feel like giving it a shot.

As I said, your plain background really hurt you on this one—I think on this, I can only give you a 22/100, just short of the 25 needed for 3k. I know that your eye positioning and such are a little set in stone due to the nature of the marker, but I think that if you were to go back and add a few details in line work (like the ridges around the bulbs and something in the background, bubbles or other), it would really bring enough life to it to bump it up to a 25. This is a pretty simple fix!

#5 - Woobat
    Also drew this Woobat a while back & just got to coloring it tonight. Don't really have much else to say here either. Colored with colored pencil.

Spoiler:
    Also claiming this!
    Last edited by K'sariya; 06-19-17 at 12:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    3,190 (0 Banked)

On this one, we have a Woobat in front of a dark entrance to a cave. It seems pretty happy, like most Woobats, and it’s certainly really adorable.

Woobat is a very simple Pokemon in design. You captured its likelihood pretty well! I knew what it was when I saw it, and its cheerful expression came across really well. I do notice that you’ve made it more oval than it should be—Woobats are generally more round in shape. It’s really a big ball of fur. You’ve used jagged lines with sharp edges to indicate its fluffiness. I think that you should shift it more toward rounder shapes, like in the canon Sugimori art. The edges aren’t linear, but slightly rounded out, with gently curved corners that keep it from seeming “spiky.” These things are spheres of fluff. We want to keep them nice, cuddly, and inviting-looking if we’re drawing them true to the games/their original art.

I think in this, you should pay more attention to the shape of the wings. You have them almost drooping downward, when in reality they are usually arcing sharply upward before dipping back down to the end of the wing. Another thing I notice is the shape of the heart on its nose. If you look at the anatomy of a Woobat, it actually takes up the whole bottom of the nostril, matching the round, curved shape until it branches into the top of the heart at the top. You’ve also missed an indication of its tongue, which the Sugimori art says is usually visible from this angle with its mouth open!

This one has a bit of a background, with a tall, half-oblong black shape on a swathe of brown—a shape we usually associate with a cave opening or similar structure. This is nice because it gives some environment to our bat, which does usually dwell in caves. One thing to watch out for with this is scale. Little Woobats are only about a foot tall, and likely only two or so feet across when accounting for the length of their wings. By making it take up the whole mouth of the cave, you’re telling us that we either have an extremely large Woobat or a very small cave opening!

Your technique seems to be similar across all of your colored pencil drawings. You take the time to fill in the large swathes of color completely, which is nice, though I’d practice a bit more on applying the color in light, even layers to help reduce the visibility of the chunks you colored in. Shading with the pencil at a diagonal to get a wider stroke would help with that, also. Curiously enough, those cheap pink erasers are actually pretty good at blending colored pencil—using this or other balanced techniques would really help smooth these areas out!

Overall, I think this one falls a little short. The thick lines of Tentacool were clean enough to help you on the last one, since that’s a style that you can work towards, but this one seems a little rushed. The Woobat doesn’t have much of a presence, and despite its simple design, you’re still missing a few things on its anatomy. I’ll give this a 20/100 for now. I feel like if you can erase a bit and fix some details on the Woobat (like its body shape, texture, and especially the wings) since this is colored pencil. It has a really simple design, so it’s important to pay attention to the small things that make it… well, Woobat!

I know that you’re doing these for cash, but I really want to encourage you to take a bit more time with these. I think you tend to slip up on anatomy a lot. Before you draw a part, I’d try to grab a reference, perhaps the Sugimori art or their sprites. You might think you remember what it looks like—like the heart on Woobat’s nose—but try to check what it actually is before you draw it. Sketch in pencil first and don’t be afraid to erase. I think a conscious effort to look a little closer at the anatomy on what you’re drawing will really boost your scores. I love your art—it all has such a lovely, fun quality, and I love that you have the passion to submit often. I can’t wait to see more from you!

#6 - Dratini the Dreamer
    Did all of this one tonight. Wasn't sure what to do, so I just did a Dratini dreaming of the ability to fly, since it'll be able to do that once it evolves into a Dragonite. I think the Dratini is pretty cute though. Forgot to color a part of its eyes though, but oh well. *shrug* Colored with colored pencil.

Spoiler:
    Claiming this one, as well!
    Last edited by K'sariya; 07-03-17 at 07:58 PM. Reason: super late but fixed a link tbh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast