User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mi$tral Draw$ 4 Ca$h

some day, my dream will find me Super Moderator Mistral's Avatar
    In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    19,962 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Default Mi$tral Draw$ 4 Ca$h

This here is my art gallery for URPG cash submissions. I'll probably use it more than my other art gallery for URPG capture attempts, but not as much. Really I just want extra bucks for drawing crappy art. It's like I'm practicing... but I'm getting money too! Woo!

This also serves as a table of contents. A green check mark () means the art has been curated & money has been paid. No check mark means it still needs a curator and I haven't been paid yet.

Table of Contents
    #1 Beldum
    #2 Hoothoot on a Tree Branch
    #3 Lapras at Sunset
    #4 Tentacool
    #5 Woobat
    #6 Dratini the Dreamer
    #7 Cleffa the Star
    #8 Field of Bellsprout
    #9 The Live Lilypad
    Last edited by Mistral; 04-19-17 at 10:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    19,962 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#1 - Beldum
    Also known as "what do I title art?" Did this a few months ago but never uploaded it. Here I am now. I promise my artistic ability hasn't improved since then because I haven't drawn since then. xD I did this because I wanted to practice drawing Pokemon with ones I already owned, and since I already own a Metagross, I figure why not. Image is in the spoiler below. Medium used is crayon because why not.

Spoiler:

3. Likes Smiles liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    19,962 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#2 - Hoothoot on a Tree Branch
    Where the tree branch is abnormally large or something, I dunno. Art isn't my forte, y'all. It's good practice at least? Medium used was colored pencils this time around. The fun thing about art for cash is it lets me experiment with new mediums for art!! Image in the spoiler below.

Spoiler:

5. Likes LowlyHumanCub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,061 (0 Banked)

Julio claims both works!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,769 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by juliorain View Post
    Julio claims both works!
    No, you don't.

To make it fair to everyone, only one piece can be claimed by a curator at a time.

Your claims on these are revoked until you finish the first one you were working on. And then you may claim just one of these at a time.

URPG Stats
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator | Judge
    Park Characters | AH: Ixin - Damian | Legend Tracker
    AIM/Discord: WinterVines
    Hatches at 1495

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,061 (0 Banked)

:o ok well then I claim Beldum!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    465 (0 Banked)

I'll claim Hoothoot.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    465 (0 Banked)

@Felly : Done!

As I said the other day, don’t backgrounds suck? That’s why for my next piece, I cut my piece of paper in half—less background to mindlessly color in.

The background is what I’d like to talk about first. I’m glad to see the effort put in to have a background, especially one so large! It gives at least a little context for where Hoothoot is sitting. I think it may have been improved a little by drawing part of the tree itself off to the right, so that it wasn’t just a branch sitting out in space. The main part of the background that could be improved is the coloring, however. To score highly, it’s important to take the time to smooth out your pencil strokes so that they aren’t so visible. When you use wide, fast strokes, you leave a lot of extra white space. That’s good for laying down the first layer of color, but to smooth it out you may need to go over it once or twice more with smaller strokes. In addition, I recommend using a circular drawing motion to really smooth it out and blend those lines together so that you get one solid field of color.

On Hoothoot itself, that wasn’t as much of an issue because Hoothoot is relatively small and therefore much easier to color in with careful strokes. That brings up its own brand of challenges though, particularly with the small details like the black bits around his eyes. I think I can see some places where you pressed down a little too hard drawing the outline and had to erase it. Unfortunately, that leaves lots of white lines that are hard to fill in when you go back and color it. When you get to that point, I recommend a softer approach. Sharpen your pencil and then just try to brush it over those areas as lightly as possible. Eventually you’ll hit your groove and be able to fill in those pesky areas. In fact, it’s a good idea to draw as softly as possible for the first few layers of color. Don’t start coloring too dark until you’re sure you’ve gotten to the shade you want.

The last piece of feedback I have is that there isn’t much varied shading in this picture, so the objects look flat. Hoothoot, for example, is basically ball-shaped, so it needs some shading to appear rounder. If the light source is coming from above, for example, then the bottom-most part of his belly should be darker in order to show that the light has created a shadow where it can’t reach.

Overall

I’d rate this a 30/100, which means it earns an Easiest score, or $3,000. You earned points for putting in effort to create a background. If you’d like to try for a higher score, I would recommend going over that background again and smoothing it out. Or you can take the money! You can claim here or let me know if you’re going to go for a higher rank!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    4,061 (0 Banked)

Hiya Felly! I'm glad that you're making some art, even if you aren't trying to catch a pogeymon! Beldum has a surprisingly complex form, so let's see what how much you have earned!

Pogeymon Likeness:

While I can clearly tell that you've drawn a Beldum without even mentioning it, I do see that you had quite a bit of a tough time drawing him, especially with an unforgiving medium (crayons). I see that you can tell that Beldum's head isn't quite a sphere but made up of hard edges. I also see that you understand that beldum's body sits in a rather awkward area between a long, thin box and a paper towel tube. I see that with the various lines that are zig-zagging across its body is symbolic of its uneven surface. Perhaps you could've done an outline in white or a darker blue around the disk at his end, though. I think the strongest part, however, on beldum is its head and its creepy eye staring right at us. I get a real feel of his 3-dimensionality without the shading. Bravo.

Technique:

You're use of crayon, while consistent, is also a bit too consistent. All the lines and the color areas are all the same intensity. Because of that it makes it slightly harder to read. I think playing around with pressure would benefit you a lot. You had a good sense of color as you have matched his color well! :)

Background:

I'm not sure what the lines are surrounding the page are but I'd imagine it to be a picture frame? I like how you surrounded Beldum in a psychic blob of energy but I would definitely like to see him somewhere! :3 Backgrounds give you sooo much info on what's going on. I want to read that pink blob of psychic energy as just a pink oval since I have no context to place it in. You can totally frame an object within a background, like is he hiding between 2 trees or is he in a doorway? Things like that can tell a story! I defs recommend you play with that in the future!

In conclusion:

I see that you are a budding artist, so keep working and experimenting, and have fun! I can't grant you a simple ranking becuase there isn't enough definition on beldum and/or it lacks a background, so I can give you 3k or you can work on it and resubmit! 28/100 :3

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    19,962 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Claiming the $3000 from Elrond's curation & the $3000 from Julio's curation for a total of $6000. Thanks, boys!

13. Likes juliorain liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast