User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mi$tral Draw$ 4 Ca$h

Steel Soul Design TeamURPG StaffAdministratorSuper Moderator K'sariya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,348 (0 Banked)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    #6 - Dratini the Dreamer
    Did all of this one tonight. Wasn't sure what to do, so I just did a Dratini dreaming of the ability to fly, since it'll be able to do that once it evolves into a Dragonite. I think the Dratini is pretty cute though. Forgot to color a part of its eyes though, but oh well. *shrug* Colored with colored pencil.

Spoiler:
    Alright, home stretch! Excited for this last one, it’s one of my favorites of yours.

We have a Dratini on a hill gazing up at the starry sky, dreaming of the day it can fly. It’s a very cute premise, and very fitting considering the dramatic transformation it’ll undergo in its final stages of evolution. Adorable concept.

I want to start here with what I think you did well, because there’s a few great things. Out of the art I’ve curated for you, this is the first I’ve seen where you’ve shifted the subject on the page. Your Lapras, Tentacool, and Woobat all featured the star Pokemon as a figure dead-center in the page. Here, you’re actually making good use of the space to not only flesh out the background, but also to place the Dratini on the left half of the page! This is an awesome thing, in my opinion—you’ve developed nice context for your idea to communicate the narrative without accompanying text, and it also makes things a lot more visually interesting. Things like the Tentacool and Swoobat were practically symmetrical, but the placement of Dratini on the page here really helps make it look interesting because of the asymmetry.

With that in mind, I think you really balanced these two sides relatively well. The left side holds the Dratini and its thought bubbles. It’s a little on the heavy side visually because it has everything clustered there, but the large moon and the stars around it help pull weight back over to the right, also. As a note, the shape of the moon seems stylistically cartoonish. It’s exaggerated enough to where I believe it’s intentional. It reminds me of the kind of crooked moons that hang in animated skies of cartoons, along with the slightly-varying proportions of the stars! Something that might not have been intentional that I noticed fairly quickly is the similarity of the moon’s shape and the Dratini’s shape. They’re both curved in a similar manner that helps guide the eye over from the first curved focal point to the second, which is great!

You’ve stepped up with a more complicated background on this one, which is great. The colors are nice, with the purple working well with the Dratini’s blues. I think I would have suggested darkening the green due to it being nighttime. The light green attracts a lot of attention due to how bright it is, and we want our viewer to be looking up at the sky and the Dratini and not down at the grass. You’ve chosen a good spot to divide the sky and the hill. The room given to the hill gives us an impression that it’s on a pretty big one, and pretty high up, while the generous space given to the sky lets us feel the freedom that the Dratini can’t wait to explore!

As for the Dratini, you’ve taken a step into doing a little bit of perspective with the way the body is turned. It’s a little more than its Sugimori splash, and I love your treatment of it. You’ve got the front of its ear-like ornaments viewed more from the front in space, which really helps give that feeling of it turning and facing toward us a little. You’ve overlapped the edge of the head over its left little head-fin. On the fins themselves, reference Dratini’s canon art. While you got the upper two juts, it’s got the downward-facing one at the bottom of that fanning fin, which you’ve skipped over. I think the only other nitpick would be that its large nose would overlap its left eye here, since the nose is slightly in front of the eye at this angle! You’ve also mimicked the way the Dratini’s white belly curves back beneath it, which helped give the impression of it turning pretty well. I do wish you hadn't forgotten the eyes--they would have been super cute and matched the colors well.

Moving up to the thought bubbles, I love using the classic idea to communicate your theme. However, I think I’d proportion them a bit differently next time. I think I’d make the initial clouds much smaller so you can give your main bubble more room. That would make the little classic bird silhouette symbols feel less squished, and also communicate the theme of dreaming of flying in a vast, open space a little better. This is a good way to use classic symbols to tell a narrative—even without reading your caption, I figured out really quickly what the work was about. If you had more room, I’d of course suggest something more illustrative, but for this bit of a cartoony style you have going on in the sky, I think it works.

If you’re up to it, I’d like to see some shading in the future. In other works, you’ve had different styles or more ambiguous light sources, but in this one, you have a very clear one. The world is dark with only the moon to light it, so here it really needs some shading to drive home the drama of the Dratini’s desire, and to better set the mood. If you need help achieving this with colored pencil, please let me know and I’d be happy to give you some tips!

Overall, this is an adorable piece of art! I’ll happily give this a 25/100 and $3k in cash, since it’s a good step from your other ones in terms of detail. I’d like to see this level of detail and attention in future works, and I’d like to see you try your hand at shading or other ways of suggesting shadow in future ones with this illustrative style.

In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    22,566 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Claiming bux from Dratini!!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    22,566 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#7 - Cleffa the Star
    Cleffa's not really much of a star, and it evolves into a Pokemon that worships the moon or something but hey, stars are pretty close to the moon, right? Sketched with a regular pencil, then I went over everything with colored pencil.

Spoiler:

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    22,566 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#8 - Field of Bellsprout
    Field of flowers? More like field of Bellsprout! Even though there's only 3 Bellsprout in the picture because y'know, space. Just some Bellsprout in a field though, trying to act like they're flowers. Sketched with pencil, then went over with colored pencil.

Spoiler:

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    22,566 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

#9 - The Live Lilypad
    Lotad tries to pretend it's a lilypad among a bunch of not-so-Lotad. In hindsight, I should've played a bit more with perspective, but I realized that a little too late and decided to leave it as is. Lotad was also supposed to be facing the right till I looked again at images of Lotad on Google. Sketched with pencil, then went over it with colored pencil.

Spoiler:

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,348 (0 Banked)

#7 - Cleffa the Star
    Cleffa's not really much of a star, and it evolves into a Pokemon that worships the moon or something but hey, stars are pretty close to the moon, right? Sketched with a regular pencil, then I went over everything with colored pencil.

Spoiler:
    So it begins. Let's do this!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,348 (0 Banked)

Heya, Felly! This is adorable. In my opinion, Cleffa definitely counts as a star!

In fact, Cleffa is called The Starshape Pokemon for a reason! This is because the rounded bulk of its body is reminiscent of the body of what we know to be a classic, five-pointed star shape, while its two ears, cowlick, and its feet make up the points. You've got its little arms down pretty well and for the most part, it's body (though if one were to nitpick, it could be a little rounder). I think the suggestion I'd make here is angling its ear shapes downward a little bit so that it echoes that star shape you're going for! You've seemed to match its little colors spot on, and I love the character of its cowlick. Its features are a little big, but they express the sleeping state of the Cleffa pretty well.

You concept here is a really precious one, and is a pretty creative idea. I just wanted to mention it because you have a really good eye for making these nice scenarios and scenes. I see a trend across a few of your works, like the Dratini, this one, and the Lotad below it--one where you are starting to tell a little story with your drawings. It's a great trend, and I love seeing it. I also appreciate you making a little more detailed backgrounds.

Speaking of which, your background is what helps your narrative here. We have a Cleffa that is (presumably) in the sky as a star, over an ocean. One thing that I think we're missing is a bit of context on how. The tilt of its body makes it seem like maybe it's streaking, like a shooting star, but the way it's calm with its hands raised a bit makes it seem like it's just floating peacefully. I think that adding some small streaks beneath it (or having tilted it upright and giving it some sort of stationary glow) would have been great ways to make that a little more clear--or perhaps doing something completely different to let us know what's going on!

You technique with colored pencil is always very simple and attentive. I can see that you take good care to color completely and minimize the waves in the colors where you can. This thorough coloring is consistent and something I always love to see from you. I zoomed in and I'm impressed with how pristine you kept the bright yellow of the stars--there are very few spots where you overlapped with the purple. When coloring large swathes of color, it's super easy to accidentally cross over one of the narrow shapes of the star's legs, and the fact that you didn't was really nice to see.

Everything is spaced very consistently throughout the composition. None of the waves overlap in the sea or with the edges of the blue, and all of the stars are equidistant. The space you've isolated the Cleffa in helps draw our eye to it, as well as the darker purple around it. While consistent, the uniformity of the placement of all of these things takes out a little bit of the comical fun of the work if you were going for more of a shooting star instead of a resting one.

Overall, this is a cute little drawing that I'm happy to score a 25/100, 3k cash awarded. Your concept and careful coloring was wonderful to see here, as always!

#8 - Field of Bellsprout
    Field of flowers? More like field of Bellsprout! Even though there's only 3 Bellsprout in the picture because y'know, space. Just some Bellsprout in a field though, trying to act like they're flowers. Sketched with pencil, then went over with colored pencil.

Spoiler:
    Claimed!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    22,566 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Claiming Cleffa bux.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,348 (0 Banked)

#8 - Field of Bellsprout

Spoiler:
    "Wow, those are some funny looking flowers!" - the flock of Pidgey up above, looking down on the Bellsprout disguised as flowers, 2k17

Composition is a fun one on this one. We've got the swooping line of the bird silhouettes pointing us down to our subjects, and then the vertical shapes of the stalks continuing to guide us downward. The way the roots continue to plunge continues to draw our eye nicely down the page. Intentional or not, I like the way you’ve tilted the direction the “V” of the birds is facing and the way you’ve classically offset the sun--it keeps your composition from being a little too symmetrical and gives our eye a bit of variety to enjoy.

Your concept on this is adorable and I love it! You’ve made the Bellsprout so they curve exactly like the flowers they try to mimic. I think one thing that I’d love to see on this piece is some form of expression. Maybe they’re nervous about being found out by the birds above and maybe you could express that with a comical sweat drop, or a bit more detail to make their eyes roll nervously upward to the birds up above. When you have a narrative like this, we want to drive it home so that we’d get it even without the description, and I think expression would also help individualize your Bellsprouts and make them even more interesting!

Anatomy-wise, I’ve noticed that you tended to flatten out their heads. I think I’d take a look at the shape again--they’re heads are bell-shaped, with the back of their heads being bulkier than the front. Bellsprout in general have a nice, curvy form; from their round mouths to their bell-like heads and their gestural leaves, they tend to be very round and gestural in shape. I can see that perhaps you’ve stiffened them out a little here out of tension, but I think keep in mind how flowy and curvy of a Pokemon they are if you draw any more in the future. A thinner stalk on these would definitely help them look more graceful, also! The bell shape of their head would also help with your narrative of mimicking the flowers, since they curve nicely out and a little back in!

I like your attention to the roots and the grass. The roots make a very interesting set of shapes to look at--they’re so complex and dark that we’re drawn to them. My only concern with it is that because they’re so much more detailed than the Bellsprout, we tend to look at them instead of the Bellsprouts themselves! I think it would have been cool if you’d perhaps made the Bellsprout’s roots more stringy and complex than the flowers, to draw our attention to them and to give them all a little bit of variation.

You incorporate the reds of the flowers into the grass, and that’s a nice way to ensure that there’s more than one instance of that color. Overall, I like the side view you’ve taken, but I think it could do with a little more detail on the grass layer. Dirt layers are always blocky, but grass layers are usually a bit more jagged, and from the perspective we’re looking at the grass (from the side), we should be getting the same view of those pronged flowers as we are the ones the Bellsprout are imitating. If you wanted to give us a little more of a perspective view (from the side, but slightly above, as I see we can see the inside of the Bellsprout’s mouth a little to suggest this), I think a bit more detail would have helped. For example, maybe bigger flowers toward the front of the grass and tinier ones as you further up and back on the grass we’re looking slightly down on! Even fading out the color or making it a different shade as it goes back would have helped, too.

As far as technique goes, I enjoy the attention you put into consistent coloring, as always. One tiny detail I noticed is that it seems like you colored the middle Bellsprout’s leaf over the grass’ green, and I can see a bit of where you did that.

Overall, I love this concept and this composition. However, I’ve got this currently at a 22/100, just below what you need for 3k. I only put this here because with how simple Bellsprout’s design is, accuracy and its details are important. I think if you were to go out and get the shape of its head a little more accurate, and pick a few other improvements to make, it would easily bump this up to 3k. I’m just talking thickening up the base of the head a little bit. Your fun and multi-layered background brought this really close, and with something as simple as a few more pencil strokes, it’ll be right there.

#9 - The Live Lilypad
    Lotad tries to pretend it's a lilypad among a bunch of not-so-Lotad. In hindsight, I should've played a bit more with perspective, but I realized that a little too late and decided to leave it as is. Lotad was also supposed to be facing the right till I looked again at images of Lotad on Google. Sketched with pencil, then went over it with colored pencil.

Spoiler:
    Claimed! Excited for this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    6,348 (0 Banked)

#9 - The Live Lilypad

Spoiler:
    Alright, Felly. Gonna start this one off with holy crap, I love this one! This is so precious, and I love that you’ve tried to play with perspective in this. You've given me permission in PMs to give you a little more of an in-depth critique on perspective, so here we go!

So this is the kind of stuff I love seeing artists experiment with! Most of your drawings are from the side, so it’s so nice to see you taking a step out of your comfort zone! I think that this is a really fun subject to do it with, also--this is a really interesting view of Lotad in what we perceive to be its natural environment. The diagonal view looking down is a great way to show its form and the way it blends in with its habitat!

This will get pretty lengthy/boring to read so I’m gonna draw some little things to help you see the perspective a little bit and walk you through how to figure it out! Note that I'm using Paint. And a mouse. But it's all good! This is going to be step-by-step because I love explaining perspective, and so that others can follow along if you already know some of the basics! I'm going to spoiler this because it's a lot of content and image-heavy! So, if we want to do the perspective that would let us see the Lotad’s body like you have it there, we would:

Spoiler:
    • Start with the basic shape! Our basic shape is the lily pad, so a flat circle. Here is a really good visual on what 2d circles do when you start to put them into perspective on a plane!

So it looks like we're aiming for about the third or fourth one. I drew it a little tilted b/c of my mouse not wanting to cooperate, but it's alright!
    • Next is Lotad's little cut in its lilypad!

One thing you'll notice is where I put the mark in the front to help define the angle we're looking at the circle from. Since things closer to us are bigger and things in the back are smaller, there's more room in the side of the lily pad closer to us than the side that's further away. This is why I didn't put the notch and the cut dead-center, and instead moved it up a little so there's more space on top.
    • Then, we have the ridge. The same rule from before applies--things closer are bigger, further are smaller. Since we're a little lower down than straight-above, we'll be able to see a little more of the lip. I drew in green so you could see the line I added.

The back edges are straight up and down since it's floating upright in the water, even if the way my mouse made me draw it looks a little tilted. :ffpu: Here's what it's like colored so you can see it a little easier:
    • Next up is the body. This brings us to something that's a little conflicting in your drawing--your front mark on the lily pad points down and to the left, like its turned slightly toward us, but the way the beak(? bill? idfk what that thing is) is half-hidden behind the curve of the face and the way the legs are to the left tells us that it's twisted the other way. Splash art also shows Lotad's eyes pretty close to the top of its lily pad, so if we're viewing from slightly above, it'd be tipping over his eyes like... well, a Sombrero! So if we correct these things, it should look something like:

So what I did was: made the bill nice and curved around its body, moved the eye back a little because the end of the bill is usually where the eye is, spread out the legs a bit more since they're turned toward us, and moved the lily pad down a little bit partially over its eye. Notice how the bill curves exactly like our oval from earlier--that's because it's on a very similar plane. If it were a whole disc all the way around the body, it'd be exactly like the oval we drew before. This also helps define the rounded body!
    • The last thing I'm gonna do is the ripples. The ripples exist on the same plane as our oval, so they will turn into something like our lilypad. One cool reference I like to think of when thinking about the edges of ripples are actually the rings of Saturn and other celestial bodies! This is a good way to visualize how layered loops around an object look on a tilted plane.

I'm not as masterful with a mouse as to be able to recreate nature's perfection, but you get the gist!

The rest would then fall into shape from there! You would apply this same principle to the lily pads and the flowers, putting them on this plane you've created. Something that's really useful for doing this is maybe grabbing some tracing paper and putting a perspective grid on it to overlay as a reference while drawing, something like this!

If you use just the part I've outlined, you could lay out all of your objects on something like this. These give good guidelines for how things will get smaller as they go back, and really helps visualize it. You wouldn't have to mathematically make sure you get it all right, but it helps you see how to stretch and move your basic shapes to fit onto the perspective!

On to your colors--they're lovely for the jovial mood. The reds and purples help throw a nice splash of happy, bright color into these cool greens and blues. It helps liven it up and add to the mood that your Lotad's adorably happy eyes set! Your composition is really nice, too--if this was a perspective from directly above, it would be so spot-on! The way you've pointed the lily pads all in the same direction guides our eye around and around the page, and they also isolate your Lotad as a focal point. As always, your coloring is also nice and clean.

Your major things wrong with this ended up being the perspective, which I covered above. I know I fixed a lot up there, but let me tell you that I love love love seeing you branch out like this! This was such an awesome attempt and a great starting point. You got the side more near to us almost spot on. You had the idea of it down by only showing that one side of its legs, too. One of the reasons why I wanted to go in-depth was because I wanted to show and give you the process of how to practice with this in the future! I'd love to see more from you with these kind of perspectives.

For higher ranks, I'd like to still see a bit of shadow if you're not quite making it into a more flat, comical style. Shading also really helps with perspective and showing how things are rounded. The brim of the Lotad would cast shadows on itself, and the lily pads would also cast down shadows if you were ever looking for a place to start.

If you ever want to try to redo this one and get the perspective right, I'm sure it'd score in the Medium-Hard range really easily if you nailed that perspective and added a bit more depth through shading. In summary, I think your colors are lovely, and I can tell you made an effort on the Lotad and trying the perspective. I know how it gets when you're drawing and you realize something a little late. One of the hardest parts was training myself to not be afraid to redo something, and I think this applies to this one really well. If you'd gone back and tried a bit of perspective while you were still in the pencil stage, and had attempted the perspective on other areas, this would have hit 35 on its own. For now, though, I'm happy to give this one a 32/100, 3k awarded! Even just some shading would bump this up so easily to 5k cash! Love this and I love that you made the attempt, and I can't wait to see more as always.