User Tag List

Thread: The Dragon's Gate: Fire Emblem

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    72 (0 Banked)

Default The Dragon's Gate: Fire Emblem

Long video ahead:

I noticed a thread for the series was missing, so here it is! ^^ For those unfamiliar with the games, Fire Emblem is a series of turn-based tactical RPGs, with levels featuring a grid-based movement system. The plots of the games (so far) feature international war in a fantasy medieval setting, with the protagonist usually being a prince or princess drawn into the conflict.

The franchise started in 1990 on the NES and has lasted until today, with the latest main title being the highly acclaimed Fire Emblem Fates. The franchise has also had some of its major characters featured in multiple crossover games, most notably the Super Smash Bros. series. An interesting note is that those characters were left available in the Western release of SSB Melee before the Emblem franchise itself left Japan, and their popularity influenced the decision to release the next game in the series worldwide. Fire Emblem has also seen a crossover game with the Shin Megami Tensei series, known as Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE.

One of the defining features of the series has been that allied units who fall in battle are permanently lost, making your decisions count. This feature has been relaxed in the most recent games, with modes allowing your units to retreat and return for the next battle, or in Fates, even to respawn at the beginning of every turn. Those changes have proved a point of controversy, with older fans of the series complaining it waters down the games and strips away part of what makes them unique.

If you're interested in learning more, Serenes Forest is a good resource.

Now, a few discussion points:
    For those new to the series, does it sound appealing/interesting to you? If you've played Awakening/Fates, what did you think? Would you be interested in the older games, even with the differences and relative difficulty? Were there any characters you particularly liked?
    Any who are veterans/more experienced, do you have a favorite game? Unit class of choice? Do you have any hopes and/or expectations for the (potential) next game in the series? Do you think Casual/Phoenix mode waters down the character of the games too much, or is it a good way to ease newcomers in?

2. Likes Tactician Karina liked this post
    GotHW & FFVIII remake when Moderator Tactician Karina's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    7,402 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

My first FE game I ever owned is Blazing Sword with Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates afterward. My favorites of the ones I own is definitely the Tellius games with Sacred Stones coming second. For my unit of choice, I'd have to say Pegasus Knights, yeah they are pretty frail but they are useful to have with flying over different terrain and for a long distance, they have high speed and are pretty good dodge tanks; though you have to beware if Archers then it's bye-bye for your flier.

I'm of the opinion that Casual/Phoenix mode is okay to have, it helps bring in newcomers to the series, especially if they are intimidated by the harder modes. After they play casual/phoenix and they like the games well enough, it gives them the chance to ease into the harder modes and try those out, and potentially can lead them to playing the older games if they want to.

some day, my dream will find me Super Moderator Mistral's Avatar
    In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    19,983 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

For those new to the series, does it sound appealing/interesting to you? If you've played Awakening/Fates, what did you think? Would you be interested in the older games, even with the differences and relative difficulty? Were there any characters you particularly liked?
    I got into the series with Path of Radiance for the Wii, though I hadn't played much of it and I don't have the game anymore, unfortunately. I didn't get really into the series until I picked up Awakening though. I loved the story, and it seemed like such a fun series to play. I'd love to go back and finish Path of Radiance one day, and maybe even play some of the other games in the series as well. I like tactical RPGs; not sure why, but they've always been interesting to me, I guess. For Awakening, I liked the Avatar (in my game, I called her Corrine), and I also liked Nowi, Frederick, and Stahl. I have yet to finish Fates (I have Birthright), but my favorite character so far is Azura.

Any who are veterans/more experienced, do you have a favorite game? Unit class of choice? Do you have any hopes and/or expectations for the (potential) next game in the series? Do you think Casual/Phoenix mode waters down the character of the games too much, or is it a good way to ease newcomers in?
    Mainly going to focus on the question about casual/phoenix mode since I'm still pretty new to the series as a whole. I think those modes are good for beginners. I like how the series allows players to pretty much jump in at any point with any game without having missed much. I also like how it caters to both beginner and veteran players. I also just feel like casual and phoenix modes are good for players who want to get to know the characters well and interact with them a lot without having to worry about constantly restarting the game when a character they like dies.

Mighty Morphin' Poké Ranger LowlyHumanCub's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    2,261 (0 Banked)

The first FE game I owned was Awakening, which I really enjoyed and put quite a lot of hours in (1 7UV U TH4RJA(\ T^T)/P7Z NOT1CE ME) and that encouraged me to pick up Birthright when it came out. At first for whatever reason Fates didn't really groove with me, and I only played about three-quarters through and left it to collect dust (did the same with Bravely Default but that's unrelated). The past couple weeks I ran myself dry on Xenoverse 2, so I decided to rest it and ended up picking Birthright back up and have really enjoyed it this time, at least as much as Awakening.

I would give my left foot for a new Advance Wars for 3DS, but since that will never happen the FE games are a great alternative for a strategy game with enjoyable characters and story, and it can be as much of a casual or hardcore gaming experience as you want to make it. I'd say that the more accessible and less punishing game modes are a good thing to allow players new to the franchise or genre the opportunity to get into the game without getting wiped out right away, and given that you can still choose to make your campaigns as difficult as possible I'd say that complaints are just purists belly-aching about changes because they can ;p I like to play at easy and hard difficulties, kind of like just doing a normal 'mon game vs. a nuzlocke. Easy mode just let's you have some fun at your own pace and waste some time, and going hardcore provides you with a challenge that's fulfilling to overcome, and memorable when you fail and that enemy pirate lops off your wife's head in front of your son.....

Obviously my fave character in Awakening was Tharja, which is probably a common choice :p but I also loved Lon'qu, and I'd say my fave class for my character in Awakening was Hero. In Fates I have been frustrated with the seeming inability to reset your character to another basic class so you can level up again and learn tons more skills and up your stats, so if there is a way to do that I'm missing let me know. I know there are some new seals and stuff available through the DLC they've put out, but I still see that there's not really an easy way to set your characters back to square one :/ Most if not all seem to keep you at current level when you swap classes. After the Holidays I def plan on picking up Conquest and all the DLC to enjoy anyway though.

From Fates I'd say my fave class so far is a toss up between Master of Arms or Swordmaster. I'm partial to the melee classes that can just avoid damage and then wreck the enemy with skill procs, multi-strikes, and big crits. I prefer lances and naginatas to swords and katanas though. I'm quite confident in saying Mitama fave character, she cracks me up with her constant droll haikuism and sleeps more than a narcoleptic kitten, and her father is a confirmed sociopath. I think I enjoy all the Deeprealm characters in this even more than I enjoyed the parallel timeline kids in Awakening, Dwyer and Asugi being up there with Mitama on the top of my list. And shout out to my playthrough's Kaze ;-; R.I.P., Saizo and I destroyed those Nohrians for you bro!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    1,304 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

I got acquainted with the series through the GBA games (though I don't own either of the games anymore) with one of the reasons drawing to the series at the time being related to how it seemed share some gameplay similarities with Final Fantasy Tactics, and became a fan of the series ever since. As for favorite classes, mine would be Assassin and Swordmaster since they tend to be fast hitters with a bit of a proficiency in critting while also being rather slippery. Some of my favorite characters are Hawkeye from Rekka no Ken, Marisa from The Sacred Stones, Gaius from Awakening and Setsuna from Fates.

Regarding Casual and Phoenix mode, I never used them myself on any of my runs but my opinion on them differs. Personally, I don't really mind Casual mode much and I can see how it can be useful for those new to the game and/or the Strategy RPG genre in general without it taking away much from key gameplay aspects. Phoenix mode on the other hand feels like it completely takes away the strategic element of the game and that's not something I'm particularly fond of tbh.

Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    864 (0 Banked)

I played FE6, FE7 and FE8. I think the more fun aspect of the games is the choices of characters, just like choosing a team of pokemon. My favourite is Sacred Stones, with branched promotions of course, and I always like using Gerik.

Nah, Casual/Phoenix mode is fine, they should keep it. I'm still waiting for a class that uses both anima and bows lol.
    Soundcloud Profile: Ascension Drive

8. Likes Tactician Karina liked this post
    GotHW & FFVIII remake when Moderator Tactician Karina's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PokeBucks
    7,402 (0 Banked)
    Blog Entries

Bumping this since the newest FE game has been out.

So has anyone played, or wants to play, Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia?

I have the game, but have yet to finish it. But it's really fun so far, I like that it's a remake of the second game in the series, Gaiden. I also like that it is pretty close to the original, even if they added a few new characters, Gaiden has been considered the black sheep of the series so I'm pretty happy that it got it's remake and more people can appreciate it like I did.